Best Hot Weather Gear

Ducatti20

• Member Contributer

I live in Phoenix, and we see REALLY hot dry weather (like over 115 degrees) for a solid 3 months or so. I know some of the members of this board are either living in similar climates or are frequent riders in this type of heat.... What is the best hot weather gear for this climate? I've been looking into a Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket, but was wondering if anything else might be better or an equal alternative?

Any hot weather tips for me? I've a closet full of heavy leather gear for cooler climates, but have no real hot weather riding experience.

• Member Contributer
I live in Phoenix, and we see REALLY hot dry weather (like over 115 degrees) for a solid 3 months or so. I know some of the members of this board are either living in similar climates or are frequent riders in this type of heat.... What is the best hot weather gear for this climate? I've been looking into a Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket, but was wondering if anything else might be better or an equal alternative?

Any hot weather tips for me? I've a closet full of heavy leather gear for cooler climates, but have no real hot weather riding experience.

I bought a mesh two piece suit a summer or two ago when we were having really hot spell. It was a lot cooler than perforated stuff.

I would like to sell it, if you are interested.

I use J/R mesh for summer, I think Fixer's suggestion is right on. I also use an Airhawk seat that really helps keep the ass cool. Draggin Jeans are suprisingly cool for decent safetly gear. Also pouring water on you T-shirt at gas stations help, although I'm somewhat depressed to be suggesting a guy wet his t-shirt.

You could also live in Flagstaff for the summer.

• Member Contributer
The Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket worked really well for me last season.

Do they make a Joe Rocket Tucson jacket?? pretty hot here too :lol:

• Member Contributer

I am a firm believer in leathers. I have a Joe Rocket Sonic perforated leather jacket that flows a lot of air, with the matching perfed Speedmaster pants. As long as I am moving it works great in hot weather.

• Member Contributer

I made a promise to myself to wear my perforated leather more this year.

That said I have several mesh jackets from Powertrip (aka Joe Rocket.) WAY cooler albeit probably not safer. I typically have to sit in traffic jams on the way home and they just don't make anything for traffic jams in 90 degree weather. It all makes me miserable.

I live in Phoenix, have been riding here since '75.

Best I've found is First Gear Tech Mesh jacket and pants. (Replaced foam pads with CE armour) and a TK-8 FF Helmet.

I use Joe Rocket Gloves and AXO boots. A lot more comfortable than anything else I've tried.

• Member Contributer

Hi!

I have looked quite intensively for the same type of gear... Here are my findings:

I used to own Joe Rocket Alter Ego jackets and pants (The original, not version 2).

I used them for 2 years, had a low speed crash with the gear, it protected my hide. (I would not trust it for a high speed crash tho)

Very satisfied from a cooling point of view but I felt the protection left to be desired so I began to search for the next best suit available. Not the TOP suit, just one notch above JR since I don't have the budget to afford a Rukka or other high end gear just yet.

From looking at pretty much all the manufacturers with textile mesh or textile mesh convertible type of gear I have found and acquired what I think is a great jacket (again, not the best, but one notch over JR): The Teknic Sprint Jacket. I features good protection (CE approved shoulder, elbow and back protectors), convertible jacket to mesh (Panels that can be removed) and a removable liner for cold weather. For my kind of weather (30F to 115F), I think its an optimal choice. Here is a review from Webbikeworld.

I did get the Jacket but not the Sprint II pants... they are way to hot and do not feature the removable panels. So I kept by JR alter ego for now.

My second choice of gear are the REV'IT products, more specifically the Airforce Jacket and Challenge Pants. They seem to use a lof of good quality fabrics and above average type of protection. I will be replacing my JR alter ego pants with the Challenge pants shortly.

Here are the webbikeworld reviews of the Jacket and the Pants

Hope this helps,

Good luck!

• Member Contributer
I have no experience with this company but I've been reading good stuff about them, they claim wearable up to 120 degrees:

http://motoport.com/

I was about to recommend the same thing. Their website sucks, but it's worth finding your way around. I've heard too many stories about mesh gear not holding up, so I recently decided to quit wearing my Joe Rocket pants and jacket. When I can save enough money, I plan to go with Cycleport.

Living in NC where it gets very hot and humid, the kevlar mesh gear from Cycleport seems to be the best do-everything gear. You can get a rain liner and winter liner as well. 7 year waranty.

Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket

Air Mesh Kevlar Pants

I have a buddy who recently bought gear from them, and have been wanting to buy something similar ever since. I know there are also many police departments that are starting to use this gear.

• Member Contributer

I used to wear mesh until I had a low speed lowside which wore through all the mesh and soft armor and into my skin.

Now I wear perfed leather, or I take the cage.

I've got the airflow pants from Alpine stars which seem to flow more air thru than jeans. Pro is OK. the side zips go across front of thighs, which seems strange but works great. I have J.Rocket ballistics pants ( not flow thru) which are NOT quality gear - small knee pro, but really - seams have come apart in two seperate areas, connecting the reinfored cordura to the legs - knee pads and hips. not good. light use, no crashes.

I'm happy with draggin jeans, good coverage area with kevlar ( assuming the kevlar is at least as durable as thick cordura) but the standard size is too tight in knees, relaxed fit size much better - leaves room for additional pads, I like the aerostich temperfoam with fiber shell.

• Member Contributer

I also looked a lot into Motoport gear. Looks like good stuff but here is my 2 cents:

1. The stuff is expensive but seems to be one of the best thing to protect you while letting air flow.

2. The material is VERY rough... I heard it will chip away your paint and eat through your seat if you are a "sporty" type of rider that needs to move from side to side and use your knees to hold the tank.

3. There are some rumors that they are more for "dual sporters" (ie: strait position) and less for "sporty". Product is known to bunch under knee and arms are straight cut instead of being precurved. Here is a Thread on this.

4. Since the suits are custom fitted, you will need a few rounds of adjustment with them. (ie: sending back the suit for touch ups)

5. No CE certification but the motoport gear is using another type of european certification... seems to work

6. Yes, the website sucks but Wayne, the owner, is very responsive.

There are a couple of good threads about motoport stuff on ADVRider, just do a search, you will find more.

For myself, Motoport did not get in my top 2 choices because of #2, 3 and 4.

• Member Contributer
I also looked a lot into Motoport gear. Looks like good stuff but here is my 2 cents:

1. The stuff is expensive but seems to be one of the best thing to protect you while letting air flow.

2. The material is VERY rough... I heard it will chip away your paint and eat through your seat if you are a "sporty" type of rider that needs to move from side to side and use your knees to hold the tank.

3. There are some rumors that they are more for "dual sporters" (ie: strait position) and less for "sporty". Product is known to bunch under knee and arms are straight cut instead of being precurved. Here is a Thread on this.

4. Since the suits are custom fitted, you will need a few rounds of adjustment with them. (ie: sending back the suit for touch ups)

5. No CE certification but the motoport gear is using another type of european certification... seems to work

6. Yes, the website sucks but Wayne, the owner, is very responsive.

There are a couple of good threads about motoport stuff on ADVRider, just do a search, you will find more.

For myself, Motoport did not get in my top 2 choices because of #2, 3 and 4.

I have a set of Motoport Gear that I used for commuting, and I like it so much that I’m getting a second set of stretch Kevlar gear specifically for touring.

Here is my opinion…

Yes, the Motoport website sucks. The owner, Wayne, even admits it.

The gear is a little expensive, but Wayne claims that the base materials are very expensive. Once you look at the quality of construction though, you will understand why it costs what it does. I had a low speed (15-20 mph) lowside last fall, and I tumbled about 10 feet wearing the Air Mesh Kevlar jacket. The only (hardly) noticeable damage was a little scuffing on the right sleeve.

The stretch kevlar material is very soft, and is not rough at all. Unfortunately it’s not as porous as the mesh kevlar so it’s a little hotter in high temps. Wayne claims the stretch Kevlar flows air as well as perforated leather…

The mesh kevlar “is†rough, but I don’t think it’s any rougher than the cordura material that Aerostitch uses to make their suits. I have a tank bra so I don’t know about it chipping paint, but if you have pants made from the mesh material and hang off the tank, then I can see it dulling the paint over time. I just recently switched to a Sargent seat, but I can say for certain that the stock seat looks fine.

Motorport gear is not oriented for dual sport riders. It’s first and foremost street riding gear, although there has been a lot of reviews posted on Advrider.com. And I think the link to the post on Advrider is about the only negative review of Motoport gear that you will find on that site. I will say that most of their gear is oriented towards a touring riding position though, but I’m looking at my jacket and the arms are somewhat pre-curved. Not super curved like some of the aggressive style of jackets, but curved enough so that it fits properly when riding. Also, I have never had any bunching behind the knees on my mesh Kevlar pants.

As far as custom fitting, I was measured by Wayne at the Motoport site, but my gear needed alteration after it was made. Once this was done it fits great…certainly better than any gear I’ve bought off the rack.

Anyway, Motorport (Cycleport) gear is not for everyone, but those who have it, rave about it and you can’t deny that it’s extremely well made. My reason for getting it was to have a ventilated mesh set of hot weather gear that I could wear over work clothes and this gear works perfectly for me, and it’s the only mesh textile gear that I feel safe wearing. The mesh Kevlar also flows air like crazy…

Lastly, the warranty you get from Motoport is probably the best in the business. 7 years... Also, break a zipper or snap on a jacket of some popular name brand and try to get it repaired by the manufacturer. With Motoport, you send it back and they expedite the repair and return it...usually takes no more than a week.

I used to wear mesh until I had a low speed lowside which wore through all the mesh and soft armor and into my skin.

Now I wear perfed leather, or I take the cage.

+1. I always wear perforated leathers ( Tecknic Chicane ) when out riding. I've watched 5 people crash with mesh and 4 of the 5 times, it ate completely through the jacket still giving them rash. If its to hot for me to handle the heat w/ leather, I drive my truck. I do wear jeans when around town, but even going 4 miles down the street to school, put jacket, gloves, and helmet on always. Even my leather pants let a lot of air flow in through the elastic crotch and inner thigh area's.

• Member Contributer
Even my leather pants let a lot of air flow in through the elastic crotch and inner thigh area's.

Ha, wait until July when the air flow you get is 98 degrees and 100% humidity - it only makes you hotter.

• Member Contributer
I have a set of Motoport Gear that I used for commuting, and I like it so much that I’m getting a second set of stretch Kevlar gear specifically for touring.

snip...

Good feedback, thank you very much!

Which specific models of the jacket and pants did you get and do you have any pictures handy?

Guest The BS'r

Cycleport Kevlar mesh gear is pretty darn virsital. Without any liners in the stuff lets air through and still has ALL it's protective properties. Put some layer on and it's good down to real cold (ride in sub 40 weather pretty often). Had mine for close to 4 years now and looks a good as day one. Wash and wear is a huge advantage over leather. I've not tested the protection in a get off, but if you believe the claims it suppose to be even better than leather.

Custom fit was right on from day one. I ride with a tank bra, but my Sargent is showing zero harmful effects from contact with the kevlar.

• Member Contributer

snip...

Which specific models of the jacket and pants did you get and do you have any pictures handy?

I have the Air Mesh gear... I think Motoport (which is actually Cycleport--new name) calls it the Air Mesh Kevlar Jack and Pant. I also bought the liners, although I'm not sure the liners for the pants are worth it. they work well for water/rain proofing, but they are just too much work to get in/out of the pants when using the liners. The order I have in right now is for the Police Pant and Riva AX Jacket in stretch kevlar.

Don't have any pics of my gear, but I could take a few if you're really interested. If you're considering Motoport gear though, I suggest you find someone who has it, and check it out before buying. The full set ain't cheap, but I think you end up getting what you pay for.

snip...

I have the Air Mesh gear... I think Motoport (which is actually Cycleport--new name) calls it the Air Mesh Kevlar Jack and Pant. I also bought the liners, although I'm not sure the liners for the pants are worth it. they work well for water/rain proofing, but they are just too much work to get in/out of the pants when using the liners. The order I have in right now is for the Police Pant and Riva AX Jacket in stretch kevlar.

Don't have any pics of my gear, but I could take a few if you're really interested. If you're considering Motoport gear though, I suggest you find someone who has it, and check it out before buying. The full set ain't cheap, but I think you end up getting what you pay for.

Anybody have the ICON Legion jacket? It is the only thing I can find that matches my bike color..lol

Guest KurtAZ

Well...I live in Phoenix as well and have used my JR Phoenix jacket the past 2 years (NO they don't make a Tucson jacket) and I haven't driven a car to work for the past 2.5 years. I have been looking around for something else as well and was thinking about the Dainese Summer Jacket for this year. Luckily I haven't had to test the durability of the JR jacket but I have heard horror stories as well as "The thing saved my hide" stories. Obviously leather is going to be more durable and there are a number of cooling vests out there as well so there are options.

Of course you could always go "Harley Style" and wear a Harley t-shirt. Those damn things have to be durable as hell considering all of the guys on Harleys wear them. I have yet to see a compression test on those do-rags either. Are they DOT rated?

• Member Contributer
Of course you could always go "Harley Style" and wear a Harley t-shirt. Those damn things have to be durable as hell considering all of the guys on Harleys wear them. I have yet to see a compression test on those do-rags either. Are they DOT rated?

Nice!!

• Member Contributer

I have an Alpinestars Airflo jacket. It is seriously awesome, in that when moving it flows soooo much air. It feels like a t-shirt!

That said, I have few illusions about it being overly protective. Certainly better than nothing, but in a high-speed crash, uhhhhh let's hope that doesn't happen! I wish I could afford a perf leather suit as that is the best.

I think I might try a tpro armored shirt under it and throw out the lame foam "armor".

I also have a pair of the A* jeans with kevlar sections. No illusions about these, either! However, I always wear Dianese shin/knee protectors under them, as the knee "armor" that they come with are laughable. They end up on my thighs.

Leather will always be best!!

Whenever I think of mesh gear I always think of the guy that posted here some time ago pics of his JR mesh jacket after his crash! Thing was absolutely trashed. Don't remember who it was....not pretty!

Archived