Windscreen Size And Effect On Front End Downforce?

Guest EV

I have often thought about changing windscreen size (wasn't sure to go larger or cut smaller) to reduce noise...

However someone mentioned it would affect front end downforce and handling...anyone be able to tell me more from experience, having done these modifications?

I'm 6th gen where your 5th gen, and I've got the MRA Vario Touring Screen which is way up there, and I've been up to 142mph w/ it but started buffering around 130. Normal riding it doesn't effect handling in any way, but sure helps with keeping wind off me.

• Member Contributer

I highly doubt that making any changes in your windshield will have a noticable effect on handling. You will feel a difference in the wind that hits your body, but handling will most likely not be affected.

I actually prefer a shorter screen on longer rides, especially highway, the extra wind hitting me in the chest helps against fatigue. :thumbsup: I ran a Puig screen cross country, and loved it!

gallery_5444_2144_2192.jpg

Coronado Trail.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_527030.jpg

HPIM0170.JPG Me & Lee in Topeka!

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I think I agree with Seb, and I would like to pose a theory.

general thought is that the less wind hitting you, the less you have to use your back and stomach to keep yourself forward.

this is all good and dandy on bikes that you sit upright, but not for the vfr

you are leaning forward on the vfr, which means that you have to use some arm muscles to keep yourself from laying on the tank

adding some wind in your chest reduces the amount of weight being applied to the bars through your hands

• Member Contributer
I have often thought about changing windscreen size (wasn't sure to go larger or cut smaller) to reduce noise...

However someone mentioned it would affect front end downforce and handling...anyone be able to tell me more from experience, having done these modifications?

That thought never even occured to me. Theoretically, yes a taller screen would increase downforce on the front. However, it would be so fractional you would never ever notice it.

Glad to see this thread revived, as I had essentially the Same question. My 6th Gen. has the stock screen, and is Ok 'til about 120 +/-. Anything over that creates a buffeting that seems to make handling more unstable, or unsure.

Have a friend with a Big/tall touring-style screen, but having been on the bike, I'm more comfortable with at least Some wind in my face.

Research seems to indicate the Dbl.Bubble style screens as a good replacement, esp'ly since it seems like what all the SuperBike guys use on the track(s). Looking more closely, it Also seems that these are 2" -3" Taller than our OEM screens, and perhaps more wind-stable, too...?

I've also noticed many neg. comments on the Zero Gravity screens, so was another reason I was leaning toward Puig. Just can't seem to find anyone around that actually has them in stock, so I'm limited to online.

Would appreciate any further comments the Brethren can offer.

Thanks a lot, all. :wheel:

I've also noticed many neg. comments on the Zero Gravity screens, so was another reason I was leaning toward Puig. Just can't seem to find anyone around that actually has them in stock, so I'm limited to online.

Would appreciate any further comments the Brethren can offer.

Thanks a lot, all. :wheel:

I had a ZGDB on my 4th gen and I actually loved the way it performed on my bike to eliminate most turbulence around my helmet. Shape also looks nice and looks like it was designed by Honda with the bike originally. I dunno if it's just my imagination, but It felt like the bike did improved in the straight line stability department at high speeds. Better aerodynamics from the shield?? Again, I'm not sure.

Only negative I have is it's really fragile.....My ZGDB is not on my bike anymore and I'm back to my OEM shield.....I guess I don't have to explain why....... I still might get a replacement if I can find one for a good price again though.

Beck

95 VFR

Archived