Using Newer Switch Controls On Older Models...?

SEBSPEED

Question

I was thinking about my VF recently, and remembering that the switch controls on one side are very faded. I thought maybe I could use a set of controls from a newer bike(that also has a choke lever), like say, a CBR F4 or some such.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

:goofy:

10 answers to this question

I'm thinking since the bars are the same diameter, and the controls are about the same width, that this idea will work? I have extra controls for the VF that could give up their harnesses to be spliced into new ones... plug and play?

• Member Contributer

ok, here is a fast and easy way to get your color back..

get some vasoline and a platic bag... take the controls off ther bike...

smear Vasoline all over controls put into bag and let it soak in a few days..

then wipe off excess goo.

reinstall, will look almost new! :thumbsup:

if you have a multi meter, you can install any controls you want just cut the wires and slice to vfr wires..

Why use the multimeter when I have the factory service books for all my bikes? smile.gif

I also considered using RIT Dye to dye the plastic, or that Krylon Fusion plastic paint. If I can score the newer controls for cheap on ebay(I've seen some go for $.99!), it's an easy way to give the VF a newer look, twice over. B)

• Member Contributer

i found some controls in a junkyard ,weather and sun baked to a light grey....

i just let the stuff soak for week... 3 years later they are still black!

the multi meter is for the su sucki ,cow a sucki , or what ever other stuff you put on...

plug and play?

More than likely, yes.

I would definitely stay away from other manufacturers. I can't comment on Yamaha or Kawi gearswitches, but I know the new Suzuki GSXR ones are wired differently than the one on my VFR. Stick with Honda and you should have no problems.

But seriously, do the vasoline trick. I'd love to hear how that works out. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I'm thinking since the bars are the same diameter, and the controls are about the same width, that this idea will work? I have extra controls for the VF that could give up their harnesses to be spliced into new ones... plug and play?

I think plug and play depends on how new you go. I just swapped some '93 on to a '78, both Hondas, and I had the wiring diagrams. Still ended up using the multi meter and spending a few hours (ok, more than few). :joystick: But works just great once you get the wiring worked out.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

I will try the Vaseline trick on a spare, and report back later.

I was thinking specifically of the CBR F4 switches(99-00), as they have the choke lever, but are otherwise exactly the same as my F4i units.

I also meant plug and play, as in, after swapping the plugs from cbr to vf, as opposed to cobbing the connections with crappy bullet connectors, but it would be sweet if they did match right up! Hey, Honda has used the same Stanley-brand license plate light for the last 25 years, why not the plugs, right? :huh:

I guess the toughest part of this seemingly easy mod will be to match up the choke cable to the new part, but I haven't looked closely at either piece yet to tell if/what the differences are...

Forgive me for digging around my dusty old threads, but it's been almost a year of pondering, obsessing, and shopping for me, and I've finally collected all my parts for the VF controls!

Left side:

- early 5th gen switchgear/controls w/ choke

- CBR1100XX clutch master cylinder

Right side:

- CBR900RR throttle control

- 2004 Yamaha R1 Brembo radial brake master cylinder

- 2006 CBR1000RR start/kill switch(the slim one)

Mounted on Vortex-style racing clip-ons meant for an F3(this will not work on a stock 700/750, I'm using VF1000R forks).

Last items that I don't have yet are round bar end mirrors. Soon though, soon!

I have yet to wire these up to the bike, I haven't gotten that far yet, but I will add to this post(and probably make a new one) when the time comes.

Also, I'm very happy to report that the Vaseline(or dollar store petroleum jelly) does work VERY well for restoring black plastic! I had some parts on my Dad's '75 BMW airhead that were toast, and before we ordered new stuff, we tried the Vaseline trick. I used an acid brush to add a thick layer to the parts, and let them sit overnight. Next day, they were black and shiny, and have been that way for a few months now. :thumbsup:

Archived