Ram Mount On 6th Gen

turtlecreek

On another forum, http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...mp;hl=ram+mount

kwr8278 posted up the following as an easy option for video mounts:

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/r...prod=RAM-CAMERA

they suggested the 5" arm plus RAM comp base mount.

their pictures were great and it fit just right on the 5TH GEN....

naturally, I ran right out and bought one as I just picked up a great video camera on ebay.

I found out that this mount WILL NOT FIT AS IS ON A 6TH GEN because the gas tank and triple clamp are slightly closer on the 6th gen.

to get it to fit, I had to purchase 80mm long bolts and use several nylon spacers to lift the RAM COMP base part up in the air. I also had to machine off the edge of the RAM COMP to allow enought room to add a small piece of tape w/ insulation on it (like you put around a window or door) in between the mount and the tank and it worked perfect.

Perhaps one of the other bases might work better (like the RAM BAR) as it would lift the little ball up in the air and away from the tank.

Since you have now lifted it up 2 inches or so, you probably dont need the 5" arm anymore, but could settle for a shorter one (i think 3" version?)

anyways....it all worked out and I appreciate the post, but wanted to add the details specific to the 6th gen

Perhaps one of the other bases might work better (like the RAM BAR) as it would lift the little ball up in the air and away from the tank.

Yup. From what I understand, the RAM mount for 7/8" handlebars works perfectly.

• Member Contributer

I too had the same question about a camera mount. Have you seen the ones that mount to 3 screws on the gas tank. There is sportbikecam.com which is $100 :pissed: or ebay has cheapo ones for 35. Its worth to look at.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure what the camera mount looks like, but as you can see from the pic below of my bike with the garmin quest gps, the 7/8" ram ball mounts perfectly to the two bolts that hold down the gas tank.

5.jpg

I'm not sure what the camera mount looks like, but as you can see from the pic below of my bike with the garmin quest gps, the 7/8" ram ball mounts perfectly to the two bolts that hold down the gas tank.

5.jpg

which one do you have?

RAM BAR which is for 3/4" to 1" bar

or

RAM BAR UBOLT which is for 1" to 1.25" bar

or is there another I do not know of?

the difference will be the center to center distance, thus one will work with the 6th and the other will need boring out.

while mine works, i would rather purchase a prefabbed one as mine looks a little 'hokie' using spacers.

• Member Contributer
which one do you have?

or

the difference will be the center to center distance, thus one will work with the 6th and the other will need boring out.

while mine works, i would rather purchase a prefabbed one as mine looks a little 'hokie' using spacers.

I dont remember exactly which one it is... but I first bought it for my '01 VFR that I had a couple of years ago. It fit both bikes just fine. It came with a u-bolt which I threw in the garbage.

which one do you have?

or

I dont remember exactly which one it is... but I first bought it for my '01 VFR that I had a couple of years ago. It fit both bikes just fine. It came with a u-bolt which I threw in the garbage.

thanks....i just sent them an email for cTOc info and will post up with which one is right.

looks like either will do. here is their reply:

The Ram-Bar (7/8" - 1") and the Ram-Bar+Ubolt (1" - 1-1/4") are both 1-3/8" center to center on the ubolt. The larger ubolt just has more space in the ubolt for the larger bar for where the bar mount clamps down onto the round bars.

Archived