Wilbers On A 4th Gen

jstanwood

• Member Contributer

gallery_4940_1398_50381.jpg

Well, this may only help Dutchy, as he's the only other 4th gen owner I can think of that recently ordered a Wilbers shock, but I figured I would post this anyway.

This install took me longer than I was expecting, but I sure "learned" a lot.

Some tips:

-When the service manual says to remove something, remove it. It's tight quarters under there.

-Drain the gas tank. I trusted my petcock (hee-hee) to actualy shut off the fuel flow.

Well, once I sat the tank on the ground and gas spewed forth, I found out that it doesn't seal so well after 10 years.

So, it went up on the work bench, and I took turns draining it into extra fuel containers. (This obviously took some time.)

-Lifting the rear wheel to get the weight off the shock mounting bolts lets you insert and remove them freely.

-The shock mounting nuts are a pain to break loose with the limited clearance there is for a ratchet. 12-point sockets will work better here.

-Removing the rubber thing that covers the front battery heat shield makes removing and installing the heat shield much easier.

There are two bolts that hold it to the cylinder head, and two of the infamous plastic things that hold it to the subframe.

Pictorial:

gallery_4940_1398_26886.jpg

A direction that didn't work An attempt at having the banjo bolts stick out the front of the shock.

I would prefer this for the bolt clearance, but it would have been better to actually rotate the hose so it went left. This will wait until the next teardown.

gallery_4940_1398_36501.jpg

View from above Of course, once I got the hoses routed nicely, the battery heat shield hit the banjo bolt.

I was tired of fighting, so I grabbed the tin snips and pliers. In hindsight, I learned I could have used pliers to rotate the hose around the banjo bolt.

Then, I would rotate the shock 180 degrees and have the hoses point to the left. I will check for fouling after the first ride.

gallery_4940_1398_4854.jpg

Remote res & preload adjuster mount I ended up routing the hoses separately for clearance so they didn't rub on anything.

gallery_4940_1398_50381.jpg

Remote res and preload view 2 The goal was to have a sturdy mount and still have access for all adjustments.

I also still wanted access to the lock. The helmet lock still works, although it's a little tougher to use.

gallery_4940_1398_27376.jpg

Final location Final mounting location with one hose on each side of the footpeg mount. There is still room to get the key into the lock.

The ride report will have to wait until the snow and ice clear. So far, the bike actually bounces back up now when I take my weight off it.

My wife helped to measure sag, and it was perfect out of the box. I also bought fork springs to match my weight, but I will wait until after a ride or two before installing them.

I want to be able to feel the difference by making one change at a time.

EDIT: Fixed some spelling and added another tip. The spell checker can't come back soon enough. It does add some extra humo(u)r at times, though.

Edited by HispanicSlammer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Cheers Jon!

While you were busy findings ways NOT to mount it,

I was mounting tables at the apres ski in Austria!

:goofy: :unsure: :unsure:

R0010307.jpg

:blink: :beer: :beer:

• Member Contributer
I was mounting tables at the apres ski in Austria!

Lucky you! That looks like tasty :goofy:

I love when funny stuff happens in translation. I have a very funny/sick mental picture or two. Have you seen American Pie? :lol: They usually frown on mounting of many kinds in public.

Another good example was from the Wilbers box. I looked up "Tolles Fahrwerk", and it translated literally to "Mad Chassis". That's not what I was going for with my purchase. I'm hoping for a calmer chassis! There is an "establishment" near the race track here in Indy called the "Classy Chassis". I wonder if it's related? :D

• Member Contributer

Although it's been quite a few years since I did shock swaps on my old 4th gen, I don't recall seeing any reason to completely remove the fuel tank. I just unbolted the rear mount and propped it up out of the way.

• Member Contributer
Although it's been quite a few years since I did shock swaps on my old 4th gen, I don't recall seeing any reason to completely remove the fuel tank. I just unbolted the rear mount and propped it up out of the way.

I was more afraid of dropping the tank or hitting it with something while I was wrenching. I could have done the job with it on, but I appreciated the extra room while I did my contortions. Plus, the airbox lid is a good place for tools. :o

Did you have any similar deals with the hose orientation? I was afraid to crank on the fittings to rotate them.

• Member Contributer
Did you have any similar deals with the hose orientation? I was afraid to crank on the fittings to rotate them.

No, I was experimenting with the first cbr900 shock install. No hoses there.

I do have a wilbers on my vtec. I run it to the left and hang it on the pass. peg just like yours but with the hoses behind it.

I think I'm a bit too late for the Wilbers group discount, but how much did that full boat looking shock for your 4th gen cost you, delivered. I came acrss some money lately and I'm trying to decide whether to join in on the Wilbers or go for a Penske or Ohlins for my 4th gen, instead.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
I love when funny stuff happens in translation. I have a very funny/sick mental picture or two. Have you seen American Pie? :lol: They usually frown on mounting of many kinds in public.

One of the advantages of being dutch is the abilily to claim ignorance when it comes to words having a slightly different meaning.... but euh englis iz not me mother tongue... :goofy:

Another good example was from the Wilbers box. I looked up "Tolles Fahrwerk", and it translated literally to "Mad Chassis". That's not what I was going for with my purchase. I'm hoping for a calmer chassis!

Toll can also mean Super, whereas Tollwut is rabies.....

This is what the top op my shock looks like

HPIM3487.jpg

Will have to look at my bike to see why this bolt cannot face rearwards.

• Member Contributer
I think I'm a bit too late for the Wilbers group discount, but how much did that full boat looking shock for your 4th gen cost you, delivered. I came acrss some money lately and I'm trying to decide whether to join in on the Wilbers or go for a Penske or Ohlins for my 4th gen, instead.

Beck

95 VFR

Well, Ohlins already helped you decide not to get one of theirs. They stopped making them at least a year ago.

Depending on the options you want, Penske may not be good either. What are you looking for? (twin or triple clicker, remote preload, ride height adjustment, etc?)

I did progressive fork springs, the 641 (triple clicker), and remote preload, and the total was a whopping $1034, shipped. :o (I'm still sore.)

One of the advantages of being dutch is the abilily to claim ignorance when it comes to words having a slightly different meaning.... but euh englis iz not me mother tongue... :goofy:

That's what makes learning other languages so much fun! It's best to be with friends to help you learn the double meanings. :D

Another good example was from the Wilbers box. I looked up "Tolles Fahrwerk", and it translated literally to "Mad Chassis". That's not what I was going for with my purchase. I'm hoping for a calmer chassis!

Toll can also mean Super, whereas Tollwut is rabies.....

My box reads

<snip>

Maybe they sent me yours, and yours to me! Mine is all German! (I know from their web site it was meant to be translated as "Brilliant Suspension", but Mad Chassis is more humo(u)rous.

gallery_4940_1398_14615.jpg

Wilbers box Racy--I mean Racing Suspension

This is what the top op my shock looks like

<snip>

Will have to look at my bike to see why this bolt cannot face rearwards.

That is the exact orientation as mine. If you mount it with the hose toward the front, the hose will interfere with the exhaust. If you mount it to the back (180 degree rotation), it will likely hit the heat shield for the battery box. So, if I had to do it again, I would use pliers to make the hose go left it were going out the front. Don't forget to cover the shock in something to protect it while you stuff it in there. I used plastic food wrapping, so the only damage was to my knuckles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My plan is to saw of the footpeg hanger bit (retaining the grip and seat lock) and affix the adjuster in front of the grip (to place the bike on its centre stand).

I've located 2 left hangers for a 4th gen (94-97) via the net here in the Netherlands

What should I pay for one? $10?

Shall I buy both, chop both and ship one to you?

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

i just found a fox twin clicker.. very cool.. ride height ,adj preload and rebound adj.. look on ebay.. there is one now on a cbr900rr i think for 350 "buy it now".

• Member Contributer
My plan is to saw of the footpeg hanger bit (retaining the grip and seat lock) and affix the adjuster in front of the grip (to place the bike on its centre stand).

I've located 2 left hangers for a 4th gen (94-97) via the net here in the Netherlands

What should I pay for one? $10?

Shall I buy both, chop both and ship one to you?

Thanks for the offer! :goofy:

Buy one and chop it, then post pics. I think $10 is a steal, and it's no big loss if it doesn't work well. If it works great and looks good, I'm sure I can find another hanger over here for less than the cost of shipping. Winter is making me patient, but it is supposed to get to 38f/3c today, so I may be a nut and test ride it.

Even with the current setup, I can still put the bike on the center stand by using the front of the hanger. It was months before I realized there was actually a "grip". The reservoir is on there so well, that I can still use it as a lift point.

My other thought was to make a bracket that bolts through the hole in the left hanger, but that would require fabrication skills and machine tools I don't have.

• Member Contributer

Well, she is fighting it...

"No I donot want you to do that"

"No I donot want you to fondle me"

"No I donot want that"

Sounds familiar?

There's a break in the weather (no more freezing temperatures) so why not ride her in the open to a nice warm hotel garage? So I can dress her up nicely with all the new goodies?

"no I donot want that"

You've guessed it, battery flat as a dodo.....

The jumper cable beaks (from my Volvo) to too large to grip properly on this dinky Yashuahahahahaha.. phuck!

Och well, gives me someting to do tomorrow morning

• Member Contributer
You've guessed it, battery flat as a dodo.....

Thanks for reminding me to switch the battery tender cable from the scooter to the VFR. <_<

Here, the thermometer says GO! However, the wind chill says NO! Actually, I just checked your weather, and it's not much different than here. I am just a wimp!

EDIT: Well, I did it! It was good. <_<

Edited by jstanwood

• Member Contributer

Strike off #2 of my winter project list, fitting a new rear shock. (ok, I still have to attach the external adjustor)

Forgot my camera, so I used my brother's and it simply refused to focus properly under the bike. So yous will have to wait till tomorrow night for those "upskirt" photos.

It looks like Wilbers donot place the banjo bolt in the same place/hose orientation on each shock because mine has no interference whatsoever... With the banjo bolt facing towards the back, the hose points towards the left (where the SSA/chain is). Wilbers advises NOT to place it on the side where the chain is (in case it snaps?), but on the other side is my -hot- high mount exhaust...

Nekkid!

HPIM7000.jpg

My fuel petcock is 100% tight :thumbsup:

Turn in the adjuster of the 4th geb shock as much as possible to give it as much clearance as possible when fiddlign the shock out

Anyone interested in a 4th Gen shock? :P

HPIM7002.jpg

Always wear protection when sliding it in!

HPIM7005.jpg

To be continued

• Member Contributer
Strike off #2 of my winter project list, fitting a new rear shock. (ok, I still have to attach the external adjustor)

It looks like Wilbers donot place the banjo bolt in the same place/hose orientation on each shock because mine has no interference whatsoever... With the banjo bolt facing towards the back, the hose points towards the left (where the SSA/chain is). Wilbers advises NOT to place it on the side where the chain is (in case it snaps?), but on the other side is my -hot- high mount exhaust...

Your hose hangs out the same way mine does! :goofy:

On a more serious note, you will see what I mean when you try to put the front of the battery box back in. It will hit the banjo bolt until you"modify" it.

Mounting the external adjuster in a good place is the difficult part. Enjoy!

gallery_4940_1398_36501.jpg

View from above Of course, once I got the hoses routed nicely, the battery heat shield hit the banjo bolt. I was tired of fighting, so I grabbed the tin snips and pliers.

• Member Contributer

Well, that was a fruitfull and enjoyable day!

Strike off #3 of my winter project list: fitted the CF hugger.

But first the "upskirt" picture....

The heat shield *just* touches the the banjo bolt; unless ENZED tells me I will crash burn and die again, I will leave it "as is"

HPIM3508.jpg

No shit, Sherlock!!! on fitting the remote....

The extra footpeg hanger came in, but I need to figure out how to transfer the lock AND find someone with a big enough saw.....

So that option is on hold.... I ended up fitting it about three times, ok-ish now.

I know Wilbers says not to mount it over the chain, but I donot want it near my exhaust. The next exhaust will be even higher mount...

HPIM3523.jpg

Look! CF hugger in the background!

Other side:

HPIM3528.jpg

(Do I smell chicken? :P )

While the tank is off, I'll be slotting in new sparks.

Question on the air filter:

Cannot remember when it was last changed (this is the first time I'm doing the work myself, thanks to VFRD :thumbsup: )

So how does this look to yous?

HPIM3510.jpg

Vacuum cleaner and fit again?

Saw a baskin shark of the coast of Skye this summer. It's mouth was much much bigger but looked a bit like this:

HPIM3516.jpg

:P

The forks are off, drained, pumped and will stay upside down overnight

HPIM3515.jpg

OEM vs Wilbers

HPIM3514.jpg

The OEM spacer is a hollow tube, weighing all but 51 grams, withstanding the spring forces

SNAFU on the rear brake pads... :goofy: I *cannot* undo the screw that is in front of the bolt that holds the pads....

Will drive to the dealer once all is done and have a capuchino while they do it....

Right! Time to pour myself a single malt and soak myself in the bath tub. (Sorry ladies, no pictures! :huh: )

• Member Contributer

Strike off #4 and #5

#4 new front fork springs

hardest part is not removing/fitting the forks and sliding the new springs in, hardest is to get 170mm of airpocket just right.

Started with 375ml of fresh oil to start but then it is pour in pour out and again...

As a measuring stick I used special quality Japanese bamboo, from a botanist near the Honda factory :P

HPIM3547.jpg

Since "real beauty" sits inside (yeah right...) there nothing much to show...

#5 new rear brake pads.

The dust seal nut that gave me grief yesterday got a much bigger screwdriver rammed up its !@#$ and that did the trick :thumbsup:

Pad wear has been somewhat uneven and about time to change...

brake1.jpg

brake2.jpg

So.. what's left:

Spark plugs; Denso issued a new part# for the 4th gen. I didnot go for the irridium twice as expensives.

Coolant

Air filter? Not sure, see previous post

Re-Torque every bolt

Paint the exhaust headers... to remove the entire system I need to remove the centre stand (according to the manual) so I'll just remove the front headers

Wow, good job there, Mmm not sure this is of any help after the fact, but here's where I put my remote after a bit of fiddling. I made my own mounting hang onto goodie to fit where I thought it should be without causing a lot of grief.

MVC-019F-1.jpg

MVC-020F-1.jpg

MVC-021F-1.jpg

• Member Contributer
Wow, that looks like my ex-girlfriends' mouth! :beer:

Tell me her name is not Linda!!! :P

LOL! No, but my mothers name is Linda, and she, too, has a big mouth!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
MVC-019F-1.jpg

Looking good :thumbsup:

Am I seeing correctly that you used rivets? (we call them popnagels; pop nails...)

Where did you rivet them onto? The subframe by drilling holes into the frame?

I've relocated mine to the same position as jstanwood for now.

The hose on the Wilbers may be just a tad too short too fit in the space behind the grab bar if I remember correctly. But will see tomorrow.

Hi!

I've already own wilbers progressive springs for my RC46. It's much better, then the factory. smile.gif

The new stuff is the wilbers shock:

gallery_2930_2633_119162.jpg

kicsi.jpg

But i have no idea how to use this littel stuff. It's sure for mounting the preload adjuster, but how?

gallery_2930_2633_23878.jpg

bolt.jpg

The biggest problem is that i've got user manual in german.

But i don't speak german. sad.gif

Can somebody scan his english manual?