6th Gen Rear Shock

Guest nasadiver

Guest nasadiver

Hi all.

Was just wondering what manufacturers make a rear shock that is compatible with the 6th Gen VFR?

I know Ohlins has several that will work, was just wondering about other manufacturers that may make rear shocks specifically for the VFR. I would love to have an Ohlins, but may not be able to justify the cost. Was hoping maybe someone else offered a quality product that would perform better than the stock unit, but not be quite as expensive as the Ohlins.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

There are a couple of ways to go...F4i, Ohlins, Penske, Wilbers, WP, Works, Hyperpro, and others.

Some have added a CBR 600 F4i shock, which is probably the least expensive route. The con is that it may not be set up for your weight and the valving range may not be set up for your application.

Or, you can go with the Ohlins or Penske method from your typical online retailer. This may or may not include possible respringing for your weight, with is typically about $100. They also tend to have "standard" valving that someone decided was right. To me, this is the same thing as the compromise Honda made for valving the OEM shock.

Or, you can order an Ohlins or Penske from a smaller place line Lindemann or a local speed shop, who will custom spring and valve the shock, but that adds bucks.

WP, Hyperpro, Wilbers, and others also make shocks for VFRs.

Several of us just purchased shocks and fork springs from Wilbers. After much research, I decided I would go this way, because the shock is custom made for you and your riding style. I figure if I'm going to spend that much cash on a shock, it might as well be made for ME, rather than pulled off a shelf and shipped. Taking that into account, Wilbers seemed very cost-effective. They also have a couple of options that can let you start at a decent price and go up from there. Some other manufacturers don't offer all the options like remote preload, ride height adjustment, etc., but they may or may not matter to you.

I just installed my new shock over the weekend, but the weather has limited me to only knowing that the rear of the bike springs back up better now than it did before. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

jon, lets go riding, test that shock out, I have heated gear and gfriend lives in zionsville as a coffee stop, hotgrips, gerbings gear, and also I have a bunch of these nomex bank robbing helmet liners, bought 6 on ebay thanks Doug

• Member Contributer

Heres a question, my bike is 6th gen, NO ABS, I am sure I could fit an abs shock on it as like the remote adjuster, anyone ever done this??? Is the stock one not worth swapping? Is a nice feature.

Heres a question, my bike is 6th gen, NO ABS, I am sure I could fit an abs shock on it as like the remote adjuster, anyone ever done this??? Is the stock one not worth swapping? Is a nice feature.

Hey Doug, the shock is the same POS as the rest, but the remote Pre-load is a nice feature if you have a need to change it often. It's a bolt up deal and the mounting holes for the pre-load adjuster are on the back of ALL right rear peg brackets! :thumbsup:

There are a couple of ways to go...F4i, Ohlins, Penske, Wilbers, WP, Works, Hyperpro, and others.

WP, Hyperpro, Wilbers, and others also make shocks for VFRs.

Several of us just purchased shocks and fork springs from Wilbers. After much research, I decided I would go this way, because the shock is custom made for you and your riding style. I figure if I'm going to spend that much cash on a shock, it might as well be made for ME, rather than pulled off a shelf and shipped. Taking that into account, Wilbers seemed very cost-effective. They also have a couple of options that can let you start at a decent price and go up from there. Some other manufacturers don't offer all the options like remote preload, ride height adjustment, etc., but they may or may not matter to you.

I just installed my new shock over the weekend, but the weather has limited me to only knowing that the rear of the bike springs back up better now than it did before. :rolleyes:

I'm really curious to see how well you like the Wilber's setup once you have had a chance to run it for awhile. I've looked at all of them tonight. The WP forks look really nice, but along with Ohlins, I have to say that the Hyperpro Type 41 recommended for the VFR is might fine.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat...ktype=Type%2041

Not too high for everything it offers. Still a couple hundred bucks under the Ohlins. I have just never heard much about them.

I couldn't find any prices on the Wilbers, but I emailed them for some info. I would love to get a rear shock and some matched front springs from the same place. It would be really nice to be able to get everything dialed in at one time.

Penske's site is temporarily down. I emailed WP because they don't even have a distributor in the United States listed. I also emailed Works because I couldn't find the 2002-2006 VFR listed in any of their application guides.

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think of the Wilber's when you get a chance to run it.

Thanks for very informative reply.

• Member Contributer

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think of the Wilber's when you get a chance to run it.

Well I was going to link a thread about my wilbers 641 hi/lo compression but it's gone since the last crash.

So here's a short version:

I've had used fox, penske, and ohlins as well as a sachs on the vfr and other bikes. I believe I also pioneer the f4i shock on the vtec. The wilbers is the best bang for the buck I've spent.

Also check the bargain finders thread for group buy info.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again for chiming in, Doug.

The Hyperpro does seem to be a good value as well. I just can't get over that purple color. You can get a black spring, though. For the price and options, it seems very comparable with the Wilbers. They also ask for your riding style, and you can get a remote preload adjuster, too.

• Member Contributer
Thanks again for chiming in, Doug.

The Hyperpro does seem to be a good value as well. I just can't get over that purple color. You can get a black spring, though. For the price and options, it seems very comparable with the Wilbers. They also ask for your riding style, and you can get a remote preload adjuster, too.

Not sure if Hyperpro has been in the rear shock business long, I only know them from steering dampers.

WOuld love to get a high end Ohlins, etc.... but I think for the riding I do, I'll just keep destroying the OEM shock. I thin kBailey referred to it as a POS ? If any of you that replaced your rear shock with low, low miles on your biek want to get rid of the OEM unit, I'd be happy to have a spare.!!

2002 VFR.

:thumbsup:

Archived