Spreadsheet For Static Sag

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

I have just created a little spreadsheet with Excel. I would like some feedback before I make it final and available for everyone.

In a nutshell, you put in your 3 measurments, and it calculates everything for you. It also tells you what type of setting you have: Sport, race or offroad. The Stiction will be green if good, orange if marginal and red if bad.

Just PM me and I will send you the file,

Thanks.

SG

Edit:

Here's the file

sag2.xls

• Member Contributer

Your download file is pretty messed up. I removed the ".html" part so that it would open with Excel and what came up was a bunch of spam. If you have the xls file please e-mail it to me and I'll be happy to check it out for you.

• Member Contributer
Your download file is pretty messed up. I removed the ".html" part so that it would open with Excel and what came up was a bunch of spam. If you have the xls file please e-mail it to me and I'll be happy to check it out for you.

Ok, here's the deal with the download. If you look at the page where the link brings you, about 1/4 down from the top on the right, there is a box that gives you a number to type in, and the download button. Then about the same location on the next page a new download button appears. It is a far cry from simple but it works.

Guest ms_guy

I just got the file sag.xls no problem, looks and works just like the screen capture in the post. Click on linky, follow download instructions. No viruses no spam (I'm running Norton Internet Security) and no file renaming needed. I dunno.

• Member Contributer

I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet. I know there is something like 20 copies outhere, but I haven't had any feedback/suggestions yet. You don't even need to do it on your bike to try it, just punch in numbers and see the ressults: type of setting plus look at the colour on the stiction: green = good, orange = will need attention and red = bad.

I was thinking of adding spring rate suggestion on it, but it wouldn't be universal anymore.

Thanks in advance for giving it a try.

Stéphane

• Member Contributer
Can you just upload it to this site?

That site is a spam-magnet.

I'll give it a try.

I didn't have that button when I first tried.

Done! See Post #1 for download.

Thanks to Chev for the tip!

• Member Contributer

I checked it out and it looks pretty good. There were a couple of things that I wasn't real thrilled about though:

1. I didn't like the fact that you had to enter the total measurements. I see this as a benefit for some people, but when I check my sag I capture the sag distances. It would be more helpful to me to be able to enter those numbers instead. I realize this is part of the reason to use this spreadsheet, I
  2. I didn't much care for the "GOOD" and "BAD" messages. For most of my bikes these are not accurate as their suspension travel is different. I like the box with the general recommendations, maybe you should put this info in there and let the user decide if it's ok or not.

Just my opinion!

• Member Contributer
I checked it out and it looks pretty good. There were a couple of things that I wasn't real thrilled about though:
  1. I didn't like the fact that you had to enter the total measurements. I see this as a benefit for some people, but when I check my sag I capture the sag distances. It would be more helpful to me to be able to enter those numbers instead. I realize this is part of the reason to use this spreadsheet, I
  2. I didn't much care for the "GOOD" and "BAD" messages. For most of my bikes these are not accurate as their suspension travel is different. I like the box with the general recommendations, maybe you should put this info in there and let the user decide if it's ok or not.

Just my opinion!

I listen :thumbsup:

What's new:

1.Suggestions for improving the setting within the areas that are close. Eg. A sag of 33 mm will say "Correct" for Street, "Increase Preload" for Race, and NA for Offroad

2. A box to enter your sag if you already know it

3. Easier to read: background colour, and more space between the boxes.

See post #1 for Download.

Thanks for the feedbacks.

SG

Look nice but for a newbie i was wondering from where the measurement were taken from ground or is it in between the clamp and yoke, or is there a reference to take those measurement "How to" :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Look nice but for a newbie i was wondering from where the measurement were taken from ground or is it in between the clamp and yoke, or is there a reference to take those measurement "How to" :unsure:

Hispanic Slammer did an awesome write up here on how to adjust the sag.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...amp;hl=rear+sag

Now remember that L1 is without rider and bike fully extended.

L2 and L3 are with rider on the bike and fully geared up.

Look nice but for a newbie i was wondering from where the measurement were taken from ground or is it in between the clamp and yoke, or is there a reference to take those measurement "How to" :rolleyes:

Hispanic Slammer did an awesome write up here on how to adjust the sag.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...amp;hl=rear+sag

Now remember that L1 is without rider and bike fully extended.

L2 and L3 are with rider on the bike and fully geared up.

Cool now i undersand! Thank you for your spreadsheat.

I'll play with my Sag as soon as summer get back to us!

• Member Contributer

You're welcome!

Sreadsheet is still available: see the first post. Sag2.xls is the newest version:

Check it out. This is what it looks like:

med_gallery_4229_2149_149975.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

You're welcome!

Sreadsheet is still available: see the first post. Sag2.xls is the newest version:

I haven't heard any comments on this latest version from this site, any one who liked it?

• Member Contributer

You're welcome!

I haven't heard any comments on this latest version from this site, any one who liked it?

Hi Stéphane,

I did download the latest version but won't be able to ride until a few weeks... snow snow snow everywhere...

My feedback so far: Looks good and easy to use smile.gif

I will let you know once I start playing with my suspension settings.

• Member Contributer

This spreadsheet looks very helpful...I like it and think it will be very useful to a novice like me. I will probably never ever need to set it up for race, but I do wish to have a good street setting so I get the full and proper use of the suspension.

When I set my sag a few months ago though, after finding L1, I just sat on the bike with gear to load the suspension. I didn't do the whole "push down, let up" and "lift up, let down" thing...so is this really necessary? In my opinion I think pushing/pulling on the suspension would increase the on-board sag by a considerable amount. Yes or no?

By the way, does anyone know what the typical L1 is for the front and rear on a 6th Gen?

• Forum CEO

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the terms for sag, with several industry firms having opposite definitions for the terms. I believe it is as follows simply because the addtion of a dynamic influence (the rider) as compared to the bike just sitting there (static) it would be self explanitory however some firms such as race tech and traxxion dynamics use the opposite definition., Suffice it to say that they seem to be all talking about the same thing - measuring sag with the rider on board. So with that in mind it would be probably be better simply to use the term "sag" generally.

* firms that use dynamic sag with rider on board.

Static Sag* = bike with NO rider

Dynamic Sag* = bike with rider

stat·ic /ˈstætɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[stat-ik]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective Also, stat·i·cal. 1. pertaining to or characterized by a fixed or stationary condition.

2. showing little or no change: a static concept; a static relationship.

3. lacking movement, development, or vitality: The novel was marred by static characterizations, especially in its central figures.

4. Sociology. referring to a condition of social life bound by tradition.

5. Electricity. pertaining to or noting static electricity.

6. noting or pertaining to atmospheric electricity interfering with radar, radio, the sending and receiving of wireless messages, etc.

7. Physics. acting by mere weight without producing motion: static pressure.

8. Economics. pertaining to fixed relations, or different combinations of fixed quantities: static population.

–noun 9. Electricity. a. static or atmospheric electricity.

b. interference due to such electricity.

10. Informal. difficulty; trouble: Will your dad give you any static on using the car?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1560–70;

—Related forms

stat·i·cal·ly, adverb

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

dy·nam·ic /daɪˈnæmɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dahy-nam-ik]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective Also, dy·nam·i·cal. 1. pertaining to or characterized by energy or effective action; vigorously active or forceful; energetic: the dynamic president of the firm.

2. Physics. a. of or pertaining to force or power.

b. of or pertaining to force related to motion.

3. pertaining to the science of dynamics.

4. of or pertaining to the range of volume of musical sound.

5. Computers. (of data storage, processing, or programming) affected by the passage of time or the presence or absence of power: Dynamic memory must be constantly refreshed to avoid losing data.

6. Grammar. nonstative.

–noun 7. a basic or dynamic force, esp. one that motivates, affects development or stability, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1810–20;

—Related forms

dy·nam·i·cal·ly, adverb

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

*sources - Wilbers USA, Superbike School

• Member Contributer

I downloaded the sag2 and tried it here at work. Looks great. I will actually try it on my VFR Tuesday (day off for Mardi Gras)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Almost 600 downloads (596) and almost no feedbacks.

I'm just wondering how many of you are using it.

SG

Stephane:

Remember you are dealing mostly with Americans on this website. You say "Free" and everybody wants one whether they need it or use it. It's the mere fact that it's free that creates all of the download responses.

Pete

Personally, I prefer the terms Andrew Trevitt uses in his book

Free sag (the bike free of the rider) which he sometimes will call "bike sag" and rider sag, the sag with the rider on the bike. Much more accurate and less confusing. I don't think he ever uses the terms static and dynamic sag.

• Member Contributer

The link to HS's writeup no longer works, so it might be helpful (esp if forwarding the file to others) if you would describe how and where to measure. "Rider on baord, push down let up" really doesnt tell me what to do if I've never done this before.. Measuring to the ground, travel on the forks, etc. I would say feel free to rename Sheet 2 and get as wordy as you like.

thanks for all your work on this and bumping it up again, i missed it the 1st time.

Archived