• Avon
    • Michelin
    • Pirelli
    • Maxis
  2. 2. Sport or Sport Touring

• Sport
    • Sport Touring

• Member Contributer

I change tires like a woman buys clothes. When I find the right tire for me, then I'll be brand loyal.

Otherwise, I have zero brand loyalty on anything....a marketing manager's challenge.... :beer:

• 5 months later...

Switched to Pirelli Diablo Stradas on my FJR from the OEM Bridgestones. They made a huge handling difference.

Still using the OEM Dunlops on my VFR, but when they're gone I'll probably go with Stradas or M3's.

• Member Contributer

ME33 and ME88 on my '86.

On my '94, I used Metzler Z series, last one being Z6's. I tried Bridgestone (020's ?) but didn't like 'em and went back to Metzler.

When I got the '01, the PO had just put on a set Avon's that wore quite well, but weren't that great in the rain.

I've never been a fan of Dunlop, but I got a deal on the Qualifiers and have been extremely impressed with them, especially in the rain.

It's time to replace them, but I've got almost 11K on the front and 8K on the back (had to be replaced at 3K due to screws in the road).

I'm planning on getting another set of them.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW. I just got back from my first ride on Power 2cts. I must say a big difference from Pilot Roads. LIke another poster said the Powers transformed the bike. I was considering selling my VFR because of the handling really not meeting my needs/desires. I think these new tires will make enough of a difference to make me want to keep if for a little while more. Did not think tires would make that much of a difference but I always road sport tires on other bikes so I did not know there would be that much of a difference between a sport touring tire and a sport tire. I figured they would not be as sticky but I did not think it would make the bike that much easier to turn and lean into a turn. Anyways believe it or not this feedback is from just a short ride and the tires not even scrubbed in yet. So hopefully I will continue to be as impressed in the switch as I am so far.

WOW. I just got back from my first ride on Power 2cts. I must say a big difference from Pilot Roads. LIke another poster said the Powers transformed the bike. I was considering selling my VFR because of the handling really not meeting my needs/desires. I think these new tires will make enough of a difference to make me want to keep if for a little while more. Did not think tires would make that much of a difference but I always road sport tires on other bikes so I did not know there would be that much of a difference between a sport touring tire and a sport tire. I figured they would not be as sticky but I did not think it would make the bike that much easier to turn and lean into a turn. Anyways believe it or not this feedback is from just a short ride and the tires not even scrubbed in yet. So hopefully I will continue to be as impressed in the switch as I am so far.

:thumbsup:

As stated, a good sport tire like the PP will transform your bikes handling completely in a positive way!!!!!!!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

:thumbsup:

As stated, a good sport tire like the PP will transform your bikes handling completely in a positive way!!!!!!!!! :goofy:

I was thinking about goin to the PP's next tire change, have the Bridgestone 021's now, big difference??

• 1 month later...
I cant wait to ride on the VFR again. Its been almost a month and half since the bike has been in the shop getting repainted. I purchased it in july 06 and rode 7000 miles on stock dumlops. Switched to the pilot powers, and must admit, they completly transformed the bike. Much more agressive and really sticky icky wicky!! But like I said I have not had a chance to test them in the winter (Carolina winter (40-30 degree). I am just going to assume a longer warm up time?

(Where is the spell checker now?? By the way the site looks good!! Good job, only if I could find the spell check key and get thru loading some pics.) :rolleyes:

i went from D205 then 207ZR then 208s but when i went to the pilot powers it was like night and day. that is two sets ago. they work great in the winter, and in the rain. Tranparent is a good term, and no drama is another. I dont know mileage for the change was due to a nail. lots of construction in vegas. But never a felling of less than 100% control in any weather. A buddy on his gixter 1000 is going to pirrelli diablos, but i will stay with the michelin. i run 34/34 and it handles very nice, mileage is the same, but a great ride and stick.

• 5 months later...

Hi all I am new to this forum but all ready i feel at home. Never have i found so many people who enjoy the VFR as much as i do. But any way I have to say that the Z6 tires have just the right amount of grip and even more so than I need for doing the local twisties in San Jose.

Hi all I am new to this forum but all ready i feel at home. Never have i found so many people who enjoy the VFR as much as i do. But any way I have to say that the Z6 tires have just the right amount of grip and even more so than I need for doing the local twisties in San Jose.

Welcome to the forum, alot of people like the Z6 tires.

• Member Contributer

Hooked on the Corsa III's. Something huge would have to come onto the market, to even make me flinch.

4,500 miles, and still got some poop left,....and,.....FANTASTIC in the rain.

100_4526.jpg

• Member Contributer
Hooked on the Corsa III's. Something huge would have to come onto the market, to even make me flinch.

4,500 miles, and still got some poop left,....and,.....FANTASTIC in the rain.

100_4526.jpg

I am really liking the new Pirelli Diablo Rosso's but i only have 400 miles on them so to early to pass judgment.

• Member Contributer

I have to say i never felt better than when i was on Michelin PP. I had Dunlop on my VFR and I felt uncomfortable not because the tires did something wierd, but because of the bad feelings many had over the D204's(think this is right) that were OEM. I Swapped to Michelin PR because at the First Texas Mac ride, that is what Baileyrock was running and he was kicking everyone's ass! That VFR was lost due to construction work...

The next bike was a CBR600RR and it came with D208's. I rode these to the cords with 2000 miles and was NEVER happy on them. I swapped them out for PP and I was amazed! Those tires transformed that bike! Dont know the milage they wound up with as I was bitten by the 2006 FZ1...

The FZ1 came with Dunlop and I do not recall the model of that tire. Seems like D221 or something! AH Dunlop is onto something! These are almost as good as my PP were on the CBR600RR! The rear profile was a bit flat compared to the PP and so it took a little effort to get it going where you wanted in the turns. Once set for the turn it was an add gas to your pleasure. I rode these to the threads at about 5000 miles and swapped to Michelin PP. Once again Amazed that the Michelin had taken a good bike and transformed it into a GREAT bike.

The current bike due to insurance thinking i needed buy them a bike too is a Ducati M695. This bike came shod with Bridgestone BT56. The front is a 120-60-17 and the rear is a 160-60-17. I will have to say that these tires are the best non-PP tire I have ridden. I have the front tire scrubbed sidewall to sidewall and the rear lacks about 3/8". I have ridden this tire only a thousand miles and the confidence level SEEMS greater than the PP on any of the previous bikes. Looking at the mileage verses the wear i see, These tires should be another 5000 mile tire. They are sticky as glue too. This is the first time I have ever thought i would be happy replacing worn tires with OEM. I will most likely go with PP anyway.

PP seems to have a cantalevered edge where the tread meets the sidewall which serves as a barrier to overcome warning of an impending lowside whereas the D208 and the BT56 seem to be rounded off into the sidewall.

Bottom line for the PP: I feel comfortable with these tires worn completely edge to edge.

Archived