Helmet Paint?

hardt21

• Member Contributer

I have a KBC helmet and I guess it is a nice helmet but I really don't like the color. I work at an automotive store and my boss mixed me up some Italian Red for touchups on my bike. I had the idea of painting the helmet white (which matches my wheels) and putting an italian red stripe down the middle. I read online that painting could damage the helmet but I don't plan on painting the inside. Is this a dumb idea? I would really like a helmet that would match my bike but I cannot afford to buy one and I have not found one that would match honda red anyway. Let me know what you guys think

I have a KBC helmet and I guess it is a nice helmet but I really don't like the color. I work at an automotive store and my boss mixed me up some Italian Red for touchups on my bike. I had the idea of painting the helmet white (which matches my wheels) and putting an italian red stripe down the middle. I read online that painting could damage the helmet but I don't plan on painting the inside. Is this a dumb idea? I would really like a helmet that would match my bike but I cannot afford to buy one and I have not found one that would match honda red anyway. Let me know what you guys think

AGV makes helmets in Honda Red and Honda Yellow, but I haven't seen them in person.

There are many people out there who paint helmets, make sure you take it apart down to the shell, WITHOUT DAMAGING ANYTHING! Then, make sure the paint you will be using is compatible with the products used in the construction of the shell. It wouldn't hurt to call someone who does it proffesionally, and ask them what steps they take when painting helmets(don't tell them right away that you plan to do it yourself).

Why risk your life just to have a matching helmet?

Oh christ, it's not that bad. Just about every motorsports helmet you have ever seen has been custom painted. You just can't walk into it blindly, and that's why he's here asking questions.

I'll agree with SEBSPEED, you are just applying another coat of paint on top of the factory paint. Look at every Indy car, Formula 1, etc. driver and they all have custom paint jobs. Google up custom helmet painting and there are several sites that show how airbrush artists, etc. go about painting a helmet.

• Member Contributer

I think if done correctly it would be a great project..plus you seem to have all the tools right there where you work. Cant beat that. I guess the biggest issue is just making sure the paint or products dont compromise the functionality or durability of the helmet. Keep us posted on the steps you are going to use.

• Member Contributer

I agree with everyone else. Do it right and you will be fine.

Check out this guy for inspiration, he does amazing work and is a super nice guy.

www.troyleedesigns.com

• Member Contributer

I don't plan on using any paint thinner because I can see how the fumes could melt the styrofoam. I thought I would just start by lightly sanding the whole helmet and then mask off the areas I don't' want to paint. Shoot it with a can of primer. Couple of coats of white. Mask off the area for the stripe and paint with a foam brush. Then a ton of clear coat. I don't need to worry about the "DOT approved" because it is not required to wear a helmet in Iowa. I am worried about chips and bugs.

I don't plan on using any paint thinner because I can see how the fumes could melt the styrofoam. I thought I would just start by lightly sanding the whole helmet and then mask off the areas I don't' want to paint. Shoot it with a can of primer. Couple of coats of white. Mask off the area for the stripe and paint with a foam brush. Then a ton of clear coat. I don't need to worry about the "DOT approved" because it is not required to wear a helmet in Iowa. I am worried about chips and bugs.

All the materials involved in painting your helmet are bad news for the foam liner, please talk to some professionals or check amazon.com for a good book or two on the subject, before you start this project.

If you have a second helmet to wear(please don't ride without one), let your feshly painted helmet sit for a couple weeks to let the paint fully cure. You can use uv heat lamps to speed up the process, but again, you're compromising the integrity of the helmet(to an extent). Good Luck, and do your homework! You'll be that much happier with the results! +1.gif

• Member Contributer

I like the idea with the tube...I do have a virtually limitless supply of fuel line at work. Maybe if I line the inside with plastic first that would help protect the styrofoam?

As for riding without a helmet, I usually don't ride around town with one but as soon as I hit the highway the helmet is always on. Thanks for your concern. :D

I like the idea with the tube...I do have a virtually limitless supply of fuel line at work. Maybe if I line the inside with plastic first that would help protect the styrofoam?

As for riding without a helmet, I usually don't ride around town with one but as soon as I hit the highway the helmet is always on. Thanks for your concern. :D

If you use the tube, it would be best to over presurize the helmet.

Blocking the helmet underside with plastic and tape and only letting the tube in.

This way the helmet will have more pressure then on the outside, only to blow away anything that comes near an opening.

Of course you don't want to presurize it with a compressor +1.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well....I found out that I get one hell of a discount on paint because I work at Arnolds Motor Supply and I can mix my own paint. I already have the formula for Italian red...what do you guys think? Paint it red or white....match my rims or body? I can get someone to paint it cheap. So I don't think I'll go the route of painting it myself just for the hastle and the chance of screwing up.

Hardt

Well....I found out that I get one hell of a discount on paint because I work at Arnolds Motor Supply and I can mix my own paint. I already have the formula for Italian red...what do you guys think? Paint it red or white....match my rims or body? I can get someone to paint it cheap. So I don't think I'll go the route of painting it myself just for the hastle and the chance of screwing up.

Hardt

White is nice... for the first 30 seconds of riding. Once the bugs hit it, you'll wish you had done red!

• 1 month later...

If you have a truly matching Italian red, there are probably a whole bunch of people that want to be your best friend. :D

Just paint it. I am thinking of having my done with a custom job. Right now I have a couple of minor marks in it from it touching against the walls in my house, etc. My helmet is a matte style black (actually called black frost from Arai) and though I love it, it is kind of boring. It would really help out if it had something to help break it up a bit from just the black.

Paint your helmet, make it look cool, and then post pics so we can all set it.

Later,

Jeff

There is a warning in my helmet manual saying:

"The direct effect of motor fuels, thinners or solvents can destroy the structure of the inner and outer shell. Make sure the helmet does not come in contact with such substances, even for cleaning the helmet"

• Member Contributer

Statistically, you're way more likely to be involved in an accident riding in town than on the highway. I'd recommend at least a cheap DOT open-face lid for town riding. Could easily be the difference between you surviving some granny pulling out in front of you, and not. Limited-access highways are relatively quite safe.

I don't think you can remove the foam liner from most helmets without damaging it. Make good and sure that the solvent fumes from whatever paint system you use are not going to degrade the liner. Probably not typical stuff you're going to find in an auto shop.

Honestly, doing it right is going to require quite a bit of work, and unless you're a pro painter, it's still likely to look like crap. I suppose if it already looks like crap, you've got nothing to lose, though. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Shoei makes an RF1000 in Monza Red that is an ok match to the various shades of Honda Red.

rf1000_monzared.jpg

If you want a white stripe you could easily get vinyl decals. I think you could get a look pretty close to what you want without having to fiddle around with painting the helmet.

Just a thought...

Guest huxtablejones
There is a warning in my helmet manual saying:

"The direct effect of motor fuels, thinners or solvents can destroy the structure of the inner and outer shell. Make sure the helmet does not come in contact with such substances, even for cleaning the helmet"

there is a warning in my motorcycle manual that says any modification will render it useless. Or extremely dangerous. I can't remember which.

Archived