Shoei X-eleven (x-11, X11)

Dan

• Member Contributer

SM wrote a few words about the X11 in another threads but it did not have quite the detail I was looking for. WIth that in mind, would anyone who has experience with an X11 give us a review of the helmet. I'm seriously considering buying one.

Don't let this stifle your creativity but I'm interested in things like noise, aerodynamics, weight, air flow, comfort, etc. Basically, anything you can tell me about it will be appreciated. It's a pricey helmet so I want to be sure it is worth my money. smile.gif

Thanks,

Dan

SM wrote a few words about the X11 in another threads but it did not have quite the detail I was looking for. WIth that in mind, would anyone who has experience with an X11 give us a review of the helmet. I'm seriously considering buying one.

Don't let this stifle your creativity but I'm interested in things like noise, aerodynamics, weight, air flow, comfort, etc. Basically, anything you can tell me about it will be appreciated. It's a pricey helmet so I want to be sure it is worth my money. smile.gif

Thanks,

Dan

I just happen to own a X11 so will give you my view.

Aerodynamics are great you get next to no effect from wind but like any helmet if you are between sizes go the smaller one because they do bed in a little & if lose it will move around.

Noise is ok normal speeds but turn up the wik & she is a noisey helmet, I ride with Ipod & shure head phones so doesn't really effect me that much. I find most of the noise comes from ill fiting visors, but it's hard to always find one that fits perfectly & seals completely.

Weight I don't know when it's on my head.

Air Flow is very good & your head is cooler than you expect on a hot summer day, I still get foging in winter without any anti fog device.

Comfort is really down to the shape of your head & mine is the shoei shape & is best helmet I have had so far in 25 years.

Finish what you would expect from shoei top notch.

My helmet before the X11 was a RF900 & the X11 makes the RF900 feel like a brick.

Hope that helps RoY

• Member Contributer

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/helmets_road.aspx?h=3

Dan I have a shoei, was looking at the x11, but did not have my choice of color, plus I like my jester clown design. This is my 2nd lid and must admit it is a night and day difference b/w my old helmet which was a scorpion. 3x lighter, 3x quieter, 2x better airflow, and aerodynamics are almost like I have nothing on my head. Before I was always getting beat up by trucks and getting my head almost ripped off looking sideways, but with the shoei, none of these issues. I can turn the head, and it is still quiet, not moving around, and comfortable. This bad boys are expensive, but hey, its for the cranium. Hope this helps.

Only slight issue I have found is that my visor has fogged up, just a little, but I was riding in a lot of rain, and at very very low speeds, (street traffic), plus I had no breathe guard on at the time. Other than that, no issues. Plus they look soo cool. Everyone always has comments!!

Take care.

I have had an X11 for a few years and couldn't be happier. I have replaced the foam sides once (I wear this thing alot) and find that the air flow is better than anything else on the market. With increased airflow comes more noise, but not loud noise, just airflow noise. I have a Shoei head, so this helmet fits perfect. I really like this helmet.

Dan,

X-11, gloss black with a dark visor for daytime and clear for night riding.

Awesome piece of equipment and certainly worth the cash. I have a Shoei head and have had the ZII and an older RF800. Both are quieter than the X-11 but do not offer the same venting. Air-flow is fabulous and here in Toronto the heat and humidity is very uncomfortable. I do use earplugs due to the noise yet I would rather use them and be cooler than not have to wear them and be sweltering in my helmet.

Very light weight and comfortable. Great aerodynamics. Still does fog but the thumb lever on the left opens the visor slightly to help de-fogging.

Removable liner is very handy for washing the inside. If you ride in heat, you will need to wash the liner.

As for price...check ebay. I picked up mine for half the price of retail. They are popular. It took me a while to "win" an auction at the price I was willing to pay for the colour I wanted. Definitely search ebay. Some will be new in the box, some slightly used but in brand new condition like the one I picked up. If you are not picky about the graphics, the ugly ones sell for less.

Before I bought on ebay I went to a dealer to check fit. Very important to do that before you buy.

I hope some of this helps.

Mike

I have the XR1000 and I'm very happy with it!

It's about the same as the X11, only much cheaper.

I got the Bleu Mirror Visor on order and the whisper kit is going on it too

(I hate noise, because I've got tinnitus) and maybe a nosepiece too, don't know that for sure yet.

The X11 is more expensive, but no real advantage except the 50gram less weight?

XR1000 have more different models to chose from too.

edit: XR1000 would be RF1000 in the USA

• Member Contributer

Axis yellow, XL will be the only one that I woudl buy. I'll definitely be checking eBay.

Thanks for all of the replies, gang. Feel free to keep them coming.

ON NOISE: We have two different comments on noise. I have a Shoei right now and the noise at 85+ is a real pain. I keep kicking myself for forgetting earplugs. I would appreciate more elaboration on the helmet noise levels, ok?

As far as fit, I honestly have a "no helmet" head. I have never found a single helmet that fit me comfortable. However, the only one that fits the "least uncomfortably" is the Shoei. My problem is that the front top most part of my head hits the helmet with the Shoei. It's still better than all other buckets I've tried but it does get to be a pain after a while. I've actually been trying to find a way to customize the inside of a helmet or find a company that does.

Best,

Dan

• Member Contributer

(I hate noise, because I've got tinnitus) and maybe a nosepiece too, don't know that for sure yet.

Actually the XR1000 is the same as the RF1000 which is sold here in the states. The RF1000(XR1000) and the X-11 are quite different. The RF1000 does not have a removable liner like the X-11 and the venting system is also quite different. The X-11 will flow quite a bit more air than the RF1000. If you wear a helmet as often as a lot of us do (I commute for 2 hours a day) 50 grams is a lot of weight.

• Member Contributer

How sure are you that the only difference is 50 grams of weight?

What is a whisper kit?

Thanks,

Dan

• Member Contributer

What is a whisper kit?

Thanks,

Dan

The whisper kit comes with the X-11 and consists of a chin guard which goes at the bottom of the helmet to prevent wind from coming in around your chin from under the helmet and then there is a breath guard which attaches at the bottom of the front opening covering your nose and mouth to help prevent fogging. These are a $20 option for the RF1000(XR1000) but, generally come with the X-11.

X-11s are great. Have had mine for over 3 years and no complaints, but I can't really compare it to anything else. I wear plugs when I ride because it does get loud. I close all the front vents because I don't want all the smog flowing through. The shield does fog easily. And whatever helmet you choose, get a chin guard because it blocks all the wind from shooting up from the bottom of the helmet.

• Member Contributer
The whisper kit comes with the X-11 and consists of a chin guard which goes at the bottom of the helmet to prevent wind from coming in around your chin from under the helmet and then there is a breath guard which attaches at the bottom of the front opening covering your nose and mouth to help prevent fogging. These are a $20 option for the RF1000(XR1000) but, generally come with the X-11.

It came with my RF1000??? Maybe I got lucky!!! I havent had a chance to try it on yet, probably have to get used to putting it on as well.

• Member Contributer
It came with my RF1000??? Maybe I got lucky!!!

There was some cutoff point last year I believe that they stopped shipping them with the RF1000 and it became an option. I do believe there is a thread on it here somewhere.

• Member Contributer
Awesome piece of equipment and certainly worth the cash. I have a Shoei head and have had the ZII and an older RF800. Both are quieter than the X-11 but do not offer the same venting. Air-flow is fabulous and here in Toronto the heat and humidity is very uncomfortable. I do use earplugs due to the noise yet I would rather use them and be cooler than not have to wear them and be sweltering in my helmet.

I hope some of this helps.

Mike

I've had the exact order of helmet progression myself. I was looking to replace my ZII and tried on the RF1000 cause I wanted a Zemke rep, and I liked my RF800 enough to buy two of them. The main reason it may be quieter is that the pads cover flat over your ears. ZII and X11 have open pockets over the ears. Really loved the feel of my ZII, and the RF1000 I tried on felt like crap compared to it. Once I tried the X11, I loved it. I had to be convinced to go with a medium, because I have been wearing large since my first helmet. Love the lid 100%. With ear plugs any helmet is quiet.

Guest Bill767

[quoteDitto, most of the replies. I have an X11 and really like it. I was wearing my son's RF-1000, so that's the helmet I would compare to. Although the X11 is more money, it has much better airflow through it, and is noticably lighter. Only drawback is it's a bit noisier than the RF. It's nice to be able to take out the lining and cleanit up.

Bill

Here is my review on the helmet from another site. All helmets are noisy that is why I use earplugs. If you shop around you can find a decent deal on one. I have tried and owned many helmets, this is by far the best. But an RF1000 is a much better price. Try them both and pick one!

Review By: Jon from Jacksonville, FL

Reviewed On: January, 20 2006

Experience with product: Tested or Demod

Type of riding done with product: Sport Touring

Price paid: $299

Purchased from: Ridenow.com (AZmotorsports)

Product strengths: The best helmet for the money. Very comfortable and easy to remove cheek pads, liner, and shield. The best vents available. X-11 is very quiet despite the vents. Graphics are top notch as well.

Product weaknesses: Price (if I would not have bought a discontinued graphic, generally @ or above $599)

Overall Opinion: I would highly recommned this helmet. If I had to replace it, I would get another X-11 or an Arai. This helmet is the perfect mixture of vents, light weight, style, and function. Do NOT buy the AGV V-flyer!

Value:

Overall:

What is a whisper kit?

Thanks,

Dan

Well, I see most is aswered allready.

Whisperkit is this:

m9helme2.jpg

The difference Between the two, I got from a review.

So I would suggest you take the other replys prior to the review, as reviews tend to be influenced by sponsors :mellow:

• Member Contributer

Thanks. The image was very useful.

Dan

PS: Thanks to the others who have had input as well.

• Member Contributer

Mine will be in first of next week. I will let you know what all it comes with.

• Member Contributer

I had a ZII prior to the X11 I have now. I do have a Shoei head so I find them comfortable. The X11 is light which is certainly a good thing in terms of all day comfort etc.

The thing that impressed me the most was the venting.....far superior to the ZII. Hard to imagine any helmet venting better(there may be) but the X11 vents do actually work very well.

As far as noise....couldn't tell you if it's noisier or not because I always wear ear plugs or sound isolating earbuds. For me....I just couldn't imagine not wearing plugs...mush more comfortable and you feel much less fatigued after a long days ride....you do have to get them in properly to get the benefit though.

So, bottom line is that I'm really happy with my X11. I didn't really need a new helmet when I bought the X11, but I'm glad I did B)

The XR(RF)1000 I have does a good job on venting too, but I can't compare to the X11.

Just want to let you know that on venting, I have no complaints.

If it gets a bit cooler, in the evenings, I have to close them.

There's a 'valve'? on the chin, two on top, one under the spoiler in the back that has two outlets, so I can choose between letting the air out there, or let it go all the way through, to my neck.

It depends on the amount of money you're willing to spend and on how much you ride.

edit: I forgot to mension that the visor can be opened a bit, with the preset lever on the left side, just like the X-eleven.

Archived