Protecting the family jewels

Guest JDP

OK, this is a little different type of subject and I was not even going to ask this, but after consideration I feel it is a topic that deserves a little discussion and hopefully I will gain some useful information. Two weeks ago I went on a 800 mile ride and by Monday morning I was in a little pain. No damage done, I am a tough nut to crack. :goofy:

I think the problem is the seat on the VFR. It slopes toward the rear of the tank and after riding a while I usually end up with my boys against the back of the tank. Rough roads only compound the problem. I ordered a new Sargent seat and should have it in a few days. My question is what else is out there for protection or is the seat going to be all that is needed.

Any info would be appreciated

OK, this is a little different type of subject and I was not even going to ask this, but after consideration I feel it is a topic that deserves a little discussion and hopefully I will gain some useful information. Two weeks ago I went on a 800 mile ride and by Monday morning I was in a little pain. No damage done, I am a tough nut to crack.  :beer:

I think the problem is the seat on the VFR. It slopes toward the rear of the tank and after riding a while I usually end up with my boys against the back of the tank. Rough roads only compound the problem. I ordered a new Sargent seat and should have it in a few days. My question is what else is out there for protection or is the seat going to be all that is needed.

Any info would be appreciated

FYI the sargent seat helps keep you off the tank. I almost never have the trouble with mine. Of course if you already have the seat, then all bets are off.

I noticed it depends on how you sit. if you up "on" the tank it cant be a pain sometimes. If you sit a little back it doesn't hurt. You just gotta play aroiund a little with it :P

I have heard that there is rider specific underwear available. In my original post I should have asked this question. Does anyone use this type of underwear and is it any good. I see that ICON offers some.

There are two companies that make adhesive grip sheets for you tank. I can't recall which I have but I believe it is stompgrip. Slap these on your tank and you have a lot more control with you legs helping keep your boys from getting crushed.

• Member Contributer

I wear a padded cycling underwear/liner on any longer rides. Sugoi Ricarro 2 liners to be exact, it's light mesh and has a great cycling pad/chamois in it. It's better than a typical cycling lycra short because it is cooler, but any padded cycling shorts help keep you drier, cooler and offer some padding and support. Every one of you should go get a pair, loose the briefs/boxers.

• Member Contributer

Honda makes a tank pad for the st1300(can't remember the part #).It comes with 2 sided tape mountings...made from rubber and stands away from the tank a little bit so it isolates you from the metal tank...looks good/works good...got one on mine. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

JDP. I think if you rode the bike like you ride a horse the jewels would be able to yeild many children. Use knee pressure on the gas tank to hold yourself in place. Doing that will also keep the pressure off your arms and hands when you stop or are going down hill. In fact that plus using your stomach muscles to support your weight will get weight off your hands and result in better steering as well. Or you could also do like they do with horses to make geldings. I'd opt for the knees myself :D

Geezer

JDP. I think if you rode the bike like you ride a horse the jewels would be able to yeild many children. Use knee pressure on the gas tank to hold yourself in place. Doing that will also keep the pressure off your arms and hands when you stop or are going down hill. In fact that plus using your stomach muscles to support your weight will get weight off your hands and result in better steering as well.  Or you could also do like they do with horses to make geldings. I'd opt for the knees myself  :D

Geezer

Damn, you scared me. :o

Actually I do use my legs quite a bit but on that one 800 mile trip the legs would get tired and the stock seat would allow me to slide forward. I know have my new Sargent seat on and it seems to be a much better design. I see no way I am going to slip forward with this new seat.

JDP,

I have tried every position and it's one of my big complaints with the 6th gen.

Let me know if the Sargent is working for you, and if you got a good deal on it.

Archived