Honda ST1300 Handlebars

Guest Aardvark892

Guest Aardvark892

I'm considering changing out my handlebars for the much higher ones on a ST1300. I know I'll have to get longer cables, but does anyone here know if they'll fit an 05 Interceptor? Thanks!

I don't think so...I believe they bolt to the triple clamp instead of the to the fork tube. Plus I think there would be clearance issues as far as hitting the fairing at or near full lock...

• Member Contributer
Convertibars. Look at them for an option.

:wheel:

I had Convertibars on my 2003. It'll take a few hours to install them, but once you get the clearance right where you want, they'll yield a nice upright riding position. They even offer kits with longer cables...which I would recommend if you want more than about 1.5-2" of rise and rear movement. Helibars are only slightly less expensive (if you don't factor in the cost of new lines) and don't offer near the flexibility.

Plan on spending ~$300 for the base Convertibars kit and about another ~$200 I think for a set of longer cables.

• Member Contributer

I have Convertibars on my 04 VFR and they are great. Much better than the stock bars and genmars I was using. They are not quite as high as an FJR's bars but as good as you are going to get on a VFR without trimming the fairing.

Guest Aardvark892

Over $500, even with the $50 discount? No way. That's just too expensive to warrant. There's just got to be a better way. I think I'm going to find some washers with the same inner diameter as the current clip-ons, and move the handlebars up an inch or so. Thanks for your suggestions!

ST handlebars?! aren't they as long as boat tillers? If it's that bad with your VFR, Maybe you should consider getting a nice ST1300 as a second bike specifically for long distance trips. It's a V four after all, so it should be a fantastically excellent bike!

• Member Contributer
Over $500, even with the $50 discount?? No way.? That's just too expensive to warrant.? There's just got to be a better way.? I think I'm going to find some washers with the same inner diameter as the current clip-ons, and move the handlebars up an inch or so.? Thanks for your suggestions!

Be VERY careful doing this. If you raise the clip clamps much more than half an inch, the top portion of the clamp will not be supported by the fork tube. At some point this can lead the clamp to distort and lose its grip on the tube with predictable (and unpleasant) results. GenMar risers come with a 43mm OD tube that fits inside the top (exposed) part of the clamp to redistribute the clamping force of the clipon. Without something similar, you're asking for trouble. IME that request is almost always accomodated.

Be VERY careful doing this. If you raise the clip clamps much more than half an inch, the top portion of the clamp will not be supported by the fork tube. At some point this canĀ  lead the clamp to distort and lose its grip on the tube with predictable (and unpleasant) results. GenMar risers come with a 43mm OD tube that fits inside the top (exposed) part of the clamp to redistribute the clamping force of the clipon. Without something similar, you're asking for trouble. IME that request is almost always accomodated.

Not if you raise the fork tube slightly to accomodate this.

Really, you must stop perpetuating this rubbish. The clamping force CANNOT distort the clipon UNLESS the force is exerted above the point at which the fulcrum of the pivot lies in other words unless the clamping bolt is ABOVE the top of the fork leg.

You failed to respond the last time I refuted this argument, will you attempt to do so now ? :pissed:

Rod

• Member Contributer
Lots of 6th gen experiences posted here, anyone with experiences on a 5th gen? Chris?

Nope, but that doesn't stop me from wanting them.

And you don't have to spend the full $500, you can get buy for $250 w/o the extended cables. Plus if you do go with the cables, they are ss braided cables, and OEM replacement Braided cables are $250ish anyways, easy way to justify 2 upgrades in one.

• Member Contributer
Not if you raise the fork tube slightly to accomodate this.

Really, you must stop perpetuating this rubbish. The clamping force CANNOT distort the clipon UNLESS the force is exerted above the point at which the fulcrum of the pivot lies in other words unless the clamping bolt is ABOVE the top of the fork leg.

You failed to respond the last time I refuted this argument, will you attempt to do so now ?? :pissed:

Rod

Sorry my friend I didn't notice your last post refuting the "rubbish" I was posting. It seems to me we agree on one, very important point. "At some point" raising the clamps without providing support will lead the clamps to distort. I assume you agree this would be a bad thing. You are, however, correct, in order for the clamp to seriously distort, the bolt must be at or above the top of the tube. If your risers keep it below the top your buyers are probably safe. Gen-mar includes an insert to make sure. Judging by the defensiveness of your tone I assume you do not. However, if all your risers do is provide a seat for the clamp (albeit with a recess for the locating tab), that is precious little better than simply raising the clipon (IIRC this point has been made before). Seems like much-a-do about little.

As to this thread, the poster I was responding to was talking about raising his clamps an inch or so. That brings the bolt rather close to the top of the tube. If one does this, caution is in order. As I said "at some point" this will result in distortion of the clamp.

As to raising the tubes in the clamp to increase the clamps' purchase on the tubes, if your goal is to alter the seat - bar relationship, raising the tube would seem to defeat the purpose of raising the bars in the first place. You're not raising bars, you're lowering the front of the motorcycle. To be sure, this may lower the seat height slightly (perhaps bringing the mountain somewhat closer to Mohammed), but the change in geometry is, I suspect, minimal.

As I see it, you're selling Gen-Mar Lites. If folks want to buy your product, that's fine by me. I'm not the one making a buck off this deal, so I don't have a dog in this fight. You of course, are free to be :pissed: all you like.

Sorry my friend I didn't notice your last post refuting the "rubbish" I was posting. It seems to me we agree on one, very important point. "At some point" raising the clamps without providing support will lead the clamps to distort. I assume you agree this would be a bad thing. You are, however, correct, in order for the clamp to seriously distort, the bolt must be at or above the top of the tube. If your risers keep it below the top your buyers are probably safe. Gen-mar includes an insert to make sure. Judging by the defensiveness of your tone I assume you do not. However, if all your risers do is provide a seat for the clamp (albeit with a recess for the locating tab), that is precious little better than simply raising the clipon (IIRC this point has been made before). Seems like much-a-do about little.

As to this thread, the poster I was responding to was talking about raising his clamps an inch or so. That brings the bolt rather close to the top of the tube. If one does this, caution is in order. As I said "at some point" this will result in distortion of the clamp.

As to raising the tubes in the clamp to increase the clamps' purchase on the tubes, if your goal is to alter the seat - bar relationship, raising the tube would seem to defeat the purpose of raising the bars in the first place. You're not raising bars, you're lowering the front of the motorcycle. To be sure, this may lower the seat height slightly (perhaps bringing the mountain somewhat closer to Mohammed), but the change in geometry is, I suspect, minimal.

As I see it, you're selling Gen-Mar Lites. If folks want to buy your product, that's fine by me. I'm not the one making a buck off this deal, so I don't have a dog in this fight. You of course, are free to beĀ  :pissed: all you like.

Several points :

1) If you raise the fork tubes in the yoke by say 8mm then of course you will be lowering the bike slightly, however it is by less than 8mm since the actual height difference would be on the shorter side of the trig triangle and would be so small that you would not notice it under any normal circumstances - other than that your bike will turn in slightly better (an agreed beneficial mod anyway on VFR's)

2) regardless of this , you will still be raising the bars..it is as you say, all about the seat to bar relationship.

3) In my opinion, the Genmar insert is there for cosmetic purposes ONLY - to HIDE the fact that the clamp is not fully on the tube. Personally, I wouldn't trust an unattached sub-tube in any way, since it may in fact be reducing the clamping force on the rest of the fork leg (it may be slightly larger than the fork leg) or the bore of the clip-on may be slightly smaller at the top. Grip on the thing you are meant to be gripping on...

4) The recess in the riser replicates that in the yoke, and will prevent the bar rotating . If you wish to take the risk of this happening, then by all means simply raise the bar above the notch..

Rod

Archived