Honda Recommended Tires

Bent

• Member Contributer

If I were one to "comply" all the time, my new owner's manual says an '06 VFR should use Z4's, Battlax's, or Dunlop's. Is there a message there from Honda? After my OEM Battlax's wear out, probably none of the above will be my second set of tires.

Anyone have experience with Pilot Roads? I've had good luck with them on another bike but, ironically, haven't liked Z6's like a lot of other people on the forum like them.

• Member Contributer

I did the PRoads for a while, and after switching back to sport tires, I don't think I could go back. Get some PPowers, or Metz M3s, or Diablo whatever.

PRoads were squirmy at the edge, and turn in felt like crap. They did last a long time though.

I did the PRoads for a while, and after switching back to sport tires, I don't think I could go back. Get some PPowers, or Metz M3s, or Diablo whatever.

PRoads were squirmy at the edge, and turn in felt like crap. They did last a long time though.

+1.gif

Pilot Roads are fine if you don't ride hard IMO, but as mentioned I thought they felt very veg when pushed much. I'm a Pilot Power guy now.

Those two tires in the manual are just the brands that come on the new bikes, not what you have to run. :beer:

:beer: 

Pilot Roads are fine if you don't ride hard IMO, but as mentioned I thought they felt very veg when pushed much. I'm a Pilot Power guy now.

Tell that to WERA910. He did a track day at Barber on his VFR with Pilot Roads on it. They didn't seem to slow him down much either. Personally, I thought he was crazy.

• Member Contributer
Tell that to WERA910. He did a track day at Barber on his VFR with Pilot Roads on it. They didn't seem to slow him down much either. Personally, I thought he was crazy.

Surely that wasn't the first time that thought crossed your mind! :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bmwone
They did last a long time though.

OK, I'm riding my '00 VFR from Arkansas to California and back this July, with a trip to the GP and a 1200 mile tour before heading back. Total trip mileage should be around 9K, maybe a little more.

I'm leaning towards the Pilot Roads because I have 4500+ miles of slab to travel and I don't want to have to deal with installing new tires while on the road.

Your thoughts, folks? Good alternatives?

• Member Contributer

I need a spare set of wheels/tires, Powers for playing and Roads for commuting. Aww heck why stop there, a spare VFR would be a much better solution :D

• Member Contributer

I have liked the Pilot Roads on my '03 - great mileage (over 11K) and more than enough performance - I think they'd be a great choice for your adventure and you should have "some" left when you get home.

I am; however, puting a set of Qualifiers on in a couple of days 'cause I've heard good things about them and they were inexpensive ($170 for the pair from AZMotorsports after my VFRDisscussion and VFR big list discount). I haven't been on Dunlops in awhile.

OK, I'm riding my '00 VFR from Arkansas to California and back this July, with a trip to the GP and a 1200 mile tour before heading back. Total trip mileage should be around 9K, maybe a little more.

I'm leaning towards the Pilot Roads because I have 4500+ miles of slab to travel and I don't want to have to deal with installing new tires while on the road.

• Member Contributer

Well, I think if you are a better rider you can ride around a tire?s limits. On the other hand, if you are not as good at braking and throttle modulation, it is much easier to accidentally break traction.

I had 2 instances in the last week, where I think if I had PRoads on I would have gone down, but the PPowers extra grip helped save me. I am sure anyone with WERA in their name could have passed me on the outside of those corners wearing 10 year old, dry rotted Cheng-Shin (whatever they are called) tires.

• Member Contributer

PRoads with a pretty high pressure and minimal throttle twisting will probably last you, how do you do wear wise on other tires?

I usually get 6-7K out of a PRoad rear and maybe another 500-1000 out of the front but it is so badly cupped I usually replaced it with the rear.

Guest sfv_rider

Get a set installed at the GP from one of the vendors, or have a set shipped to me in LA and we can get them on the bike before or after your trip to Laguna.

I have liked the Pilot Roads on my '03 - great mileage (over 11K) and more than enough performance - I think they'd be a great choice for your adventure and you should have "some" left when you get home.

I am; however, puting a set of Qualifiers on in a couple of days 'cause I've heard good things about them and they were inexpensive ($170 for the pair from AZMotorsports after my VFRDisscussion and VFR big list discount).  I haven't been on Dunlops in awhile.

I've heard those qualifiers are downright horrible on mileage. I know they have been rated as one of the best for grip however.

Since we're talking about tires, I want to ask a couple questions myself. I've been think of getting PRoads myself, but I like to ride fairly agressive every once and a while (usually once a week or two and usually about 50 miles of fairly challenging twisties). I was thinking of getting PPowers because of the added grip and you guys think its a good tire. I dont know guys what do guys...I love tearing up the road when I have free time, but then since my bike is my only transportant I ride everywhere rain or shine. Right now I'm running BT020s and they're ok since I got used to them, but it does seem a little shakey when I'm at the edge. So far I handled it and it keeps me on my toes, but yeah. What do you guys in your wisdom think I should do? I kinda want a tire to last a bit since I put like 1600 miles a month.

Man I wish I could find a set of wheels for a good price so I can swap them out when I want to. Sometimes theres a couple people on ebay getting rid of theres, but usually they're abused. Oh, and would anyone know which wheels are compatiable with a 6th gen? I'm just curious if the older vfr wheels are the same. Thanks guys, and sorry if I'm off topic.

oh yeah, I'll be at the USGP too! I can't wait! So far it's pretty interesting...

Guest BlueVFRank

I love Pilot roads, on real world tarmac and in real world situations their good enough. You're sure to be grinding the catalyzer before the pilot roads lose traction.

Here are some photos from my group of viffers on pilot roads!

VFR_VMT_003.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

SpeedyKnie5.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

and there are a lot more of examples. :wheel:

So pilot roads are my choice of tires

• Member Contributer
I've heard those qualifiers are downright horrible on mileage. I know they have been rated as one of the best for grip however.

Yes, I expect to wear the Qualifiers out a bit faster than the PRoads. I hope to get similar mileage to the 014's I've used previously.

Archived