Yamahonda Oil Filter Alternative

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer
Doesn't mean there using the same filter medium in every filter though ! :idea3:

:P

Probably not. However, the medium won't be any worse than the HondaYamaKawaZuki branded filters which are low bid contracts sold at top dollar. wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Atrus96

ok i cant rember the part number off hand but i use a k&n oil filter at 13.00 a pop there not to bad. anyways you can get them at your local autozone altho they are a special order. but if you get a good autozoner he or she can look it up on there computer for you and order it. also my autozone even stocks brakes for the front and the rear!

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

i dont know about you guys i wouldnt put a cheap filter in the heart of of my bike i use a scotts and its better than any paper element out there or synthetic ,,and you dont have to but filters again.... ever its aso rebuildable wnd can be fitted on other bikes if you change bikes in the future ,if you add up the cost of ten filters ,even cheap ones the scotts still comes out the cheaper deal with better filtering to boot,but its your choice in the end

• Member Contributer
i dont know about you guys i wouldnt put a cheap filter in the heart of of my bike i use a scotts and its better than any paper element out there or synthetic ,,and you dont have to but filters again.... ever its aso rebuildable wnd can be fitted on other bikes if you change bikes in the future ,if you add up the cost of ten filters ,even cheap ones the scotts still comes out the cheaper deal with better filtering to boot,but its your choice in the end

I think if you read other threads on here as well other publications on the net about the Scotts filter vs. paper etc. you will form the opinion of many other here that the Scotts is not as good and it costs way too much. It simply will not filter small enough.

Guest ScottyDo
ok i cant rember the part number off hand but i use a k&n oil filter at 13.00 a pop there not to bad. anyways you can get them at your local autozone altho they are a special order. but if you get a good autozoner he or she can look it up on there computer for you and order it. also my autozone even stocks brakes for the front and the rear!

I tried that at my local Autzone and the idiots couldn't figure out how to order it because they couldn't pull up the part number (KN-204). I ended up special ordering one from my Honda dealer. It looks like a good filter, it is missing a green thingy but they do have nuts. Clicky

In the Midwest you can find the Purolator at Advance Auto Parts.

I found the purulator MC specific at Pepboys, semi oring and everything, Indentical to Honda filter, $6

Local dealer charging 9.99 recently went to 11.99, That was too much

• Member Contributer

An important element of any filter is an anti-drainback valve. This valve is extremely important to keep at least *some* oil in the filter, to keep from having an oil-less cold start. It's surprising how few filters on the market actually have this feature.

I would suspect the stock Honda filter has this valve, as I do not have an oil light staring me in the face after the bike starts in the morning. Has anyone experienced no oil pressure momentarily after start with any of these off-brand filters (especially interested in hearing about the cheapo WalMart branded filter)?

Edited by JoeAsheville

yo HS, i think it's time to make a compendium of pages that cover oil, oil filters and such that fit by model number, highest rate tires by use (sport/touring/general), manuals, parts catalogues, etc. i'd like the benefit of everyone else's wisdom, less threads about the same ol' same ol', and an easy reference for everyone. honestly, i don't remember oil filter numbers from yamahas that fit but would like to easily be able to find them here.

the site is great for idea exchange and now needs an area devoted to static information and helpful hints. then it's a great source of info first hand and reference.

great job, this just adds icing to the already tasty cake. :blink:

• Member Contributer

Go here for the scoop on filter cross-references:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Go here for dissected filters and recommendations based upon the results:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

...I was pleased to see the SuperTech filter does indeed have an anti-drainback valve. However it does have lots less filtration media present, which would necessitate 2x the filter changes for every oil change (and wasting the oil in the filter during the changes). At $2 per though, you still come out money ahead of buying another type of filter (as long as you consider you work for free...).

In this study:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

...the K&N filters were specifically cited as a problem, as they are manufactured by a company called Hi-Flo. The motorcycle had a constant lack of oil pressure. At $13 each, they are nearly 7 times as expensive as the WalMart filter and not as well rated.

• Member Contributer

Since somebody revived this thread, an oil filter one yet, I have a question. I just put on a K&N filter with the seventeen milimeter nut on the end. I was at Cycle Gear and that was the only one they had that fit. Both the manual and the box for the filter say to torque it to 20lbs. I did and couldn't believe how much torque I was putting on a filter. I usually just hand tighten them and figure their good.

I was so concerned I backed off and did it my old fashion way. Now I may have overtorqured it once and it wil start to leak, who knows.

Does any body else torque their oil filters to 20lbs?

Honda filter (on a good day), Mobil 1 V-Twin, Metzler Z-6 by the way.

Guest whylee

When I used the spin on filters on my VFR I just tightened them by hand, never had a problem.

You should be ok unless you damaged the rubber ring (which I dont think you did you did).

I now use a Scotts oil filter and like it much better.

• Member Contributer

actually the scotts is way better than a paper filter and it filters finer particles than paper can handle and for those that occasionally ride in the cold it also lets oil flow without activating the bypass that cuts in when oilflow is too low in cold weather which can let unfiltered oil passing through your engine ,its a investment well worth it. no paper filter can compare.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...