Zero Gravity Windscreen

Guest Brdbluz

Guest Brdbluz

I just put a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen on my 5th gen VFR. After one ride with the new screen, I know I made the right choice! Looks great and the protection from the wind is much improved. I'm a tall guy (6'2'') so it was hard to get any protection from the stock windscreen. I highly recommend this screen! Ride well!

I just put a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen on my 5th gen VFR.  After one ride with the new screen, I know I made the right choice!  Looks great and the protection from the wind is much improved.  I'm a tall guy (6'2'') so it was hard to get any protection from the stock windscreen.  I highly recommend this screen!  Ride well!

Very timely topic dude! I'm 6'1'' and just about to go check one out myself. Found a used Givi for $70 CAN... anybody has input on that? :beer:

• Member Contributer
Very timely topic dude!  I'm 6'1'' and just about to go check one out myself.  Found a used Givi for $70 CAN... anybody has input on that?  :beer:

Sorry, no dice. To hijack, can you guys give me input on the difference, (dimensionally), between Givi, Z.G., and the stock. (For future universal bugbusters fitment). Please.

Guest Aardvark892

I had just ordered a Givi last week, but after seeing a picture of the ZG Sport Tour on a VFRD members bike, I cancelled my Givi and ordered a ZG right up. Hopefully it'll be here by Friday next week. I changed my order simply because the Givi, while a quality product, simply isn't big enough for the kind of riding/weather I have to deal with here in southern New Mexico (the land of entrapment). Thank you for posting your experience with it... now I'm even more impatient with waiting for it!

I had just ordered a Givi last week, but after seeing a picture of the ZG Sport Tour on a VFRD members bike, I cancelled my Givi and ordered a ZG right up.  Hopefully it'll be here by Friday next week.  I changed my order simply because the Givi, while a quality product, simply isn't big enough for the kind of riding/weather I have to deal with here in southern New Mexico (the land of entrapment).  Thank you for posting your experience with it... now I'm even more impatient with waiting for it!

Glad I could be of some service! It really is a great screen. :wheel:

Glad I could be of some service!  It really is a great screen.  :wheel:

This topic has been discussed before, but......the other members didn't seem to like it because they claimed it caused excessive helmet "buffeting". They were getting rid of their ZG touring screens and going back to the double-bubble model.

Thanks for posting a positive review anyway. It must have everything to do with how tall you are.

Guest Wingspan

If anyone is wanting to buy a ZG screen, do yourself a favor and check on Ebay first. Zero Gravity sells their "factory second" screens on Ebay at a huge discount (about 1/2 off). They don't always have screens available for every bike, but it's worth checking on.

I've bought two screens from them this way. One for my aprilia's race bodywork and one for my VFR. I can't find any flaws or problems with either screen that would cause it to be considered a factory second. They look as good as any other ZG screen I've seen.

Their ebay name is zgoutlet. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

There's also the Puig racing screen, which matches more closely the ZG Dubble Bubble screen.

Just another point of reference when looking for a new 'screen. :thumbsup:

I'll try and get some pics up in my gallery next week of my dark-smoke Puig racing screen on the bike.

-vfrngtp

If anyone is wanting to buy a ZG screen, do yourself a favor and check on Ebay first. Zero Gravity sells their "factory second" screens on Ebay at a huge discount (about 1/2 off).

Their ebay name is zgoutlet.  smile.gif

Thanks for the info.

Just got the double bubble model for half-off on their ebay auction. It said the fit would be perfect, just has a slight blemish on the screen.

I had just ordered a Givi last week, but after seeing a picture of the ZG Sport Tour on a VFRD members bike, I cancelled my Givi and ordered a ZG right up.  Hopefully it'll be here by Friday next week.  I changed my order simply because the Givi, while a quality product, simply isn't big enough for the kind of riding/weather I have to deal with here in southern New Mexico (the land of entrapment).  Thank you for posting your experience with it... now I'm even more impatient with waiting for it!

I have both the ZG and Givi Screen and am 6 2. The Givi is about 1.5 inches higher and much thicker material with a finished top edge. My preference is the Givi, better quality and a bit higher. Not a radical reduction in buffeting, but noticably better.

If anyone is wanting to buy a ZG screen, do yourself a favor and check on Ebay first. Zero Gravity sells their "factory second" screens on Ebay at a huge discount (about 1/2 off). They don't always have screens available for every bike, but it's worth checking on.

I've bought two screens from them this way. One for my aprilia's race bodywork and one for my VFR. I can't find any flaws or problems with either screen that would cause it to be considered a factory second. They look as good as any other ZG screen I've seen.

Their ebay name is zgoutlet.  smile.gif

Also, don't get in a bidding war for the ZG seconds, if you just put in a the lowest bid possible there's a 95% chance you'll get an email when the auction is over that they have more on hand and you can get it for the price you bid. Atleast that's the way it has worked for me in the past.

Thanks for the info. 

Just got the double bubble model for half-off on their ebay auction.  It said the fit would be perfect, just has a slight blemish on the screen.

ZG Double Bubble - works great....wouldn't change for the world

+1.gif on the ZG Double Bubble. I just installed it on my '04 and love it. I'm 6'2" and the wind hits me just below my helmet. I'm wondering if I should have pulled the trigger on the Sport Touring model as well for longer rides and have the DB for normal everyday use.

+1.gif  on the ZG Double Bubble.  I just installed it on my '04 and love it.  I'm 6'2" and the wind hits me just below my helmet.  I'm wondering if I should have pulled the trigger on the Sport Touring model as well for longer rides and have the DB for normal everyday use.

I rode yesterday and was noticing that the wind hits my helmet right at the faceshield after playing around following the wind with my hand. Is it better to have it go just above your helmet? To prevent buffeting?

• 11 months later...

¡¡Hola!!

After some months deliberating and looking for peoples' advice and experiences I opted for the Givi. Why? I may hear you ask... mainly because of the comment made by a VFRD member that the Givi was a tad higher and seemd to have a better quality and finish overall. I'm 6'4", so that says it all, and I must say, I am no longer fighting with all my might to keep my head on my shoulders and no longer get blown all over the road with my upper torso and skull acting as a skeg and heeding to the wind's every whim. That alone has imprived handling like nobody's business. I can actually enjoy the views now as the (sometimes) violent shaking and constant buffeting no longer blurs my vision. Another plus is the reduction in wind-noise. I can actually hear the motor and boy does she sound sweet. Up until now I've only been able to hear the cam-drive whirring above the wind-noise. Now I get the full ensemble with the lower frequency burble of the exhaust. All this added up together means I am now enjoying my 98 VFR 200% more. I'm more relaxed while riding (there is a minimal buffeting effect around my shoulder area as the Givi S-T shield really only deflects the wind higher upward, not outward) and when I dismount I've actually got enery left and am nowhere near as tense. I don't know why I waited so long for ZG to find me one from their seconds department in the hope of saving a little cash. The improvement is worth every penny of my 100-Euro Givi.

Obviously all of this is subject to relativity. I'm 6'4" but am all legs. When seated there are people who are perhaps several inches shorter than I when standing that seem to be of the same height. I've also got BLS' peg lowering blocks installed. I don't have a raised seat or the rear of the bike raised at the rear shock. I've also got the front preload cranked up quite a way. I believe I will soon be installing a set of Wilbers front and rear, we shall see how that influences the relationships in height between the different parts involved in the overall effect.

I can only say.. I'm in heaven.... I'm in heaven...

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ZG Double Bubble. I am 6ft and I like the others knew after the first ride and speeds up to 90mph that I made a good choice. It's amazing that my head doesn't bobble around anymore. My 84 mile trips to work and back are effortless and the screen adds cold protection that the OEM just couldn't offer. I am sure that will also be a drawback in the hot, humid florida summer! I'd highly recommend one if you are 6ft, but the tall people would want something larger like the Givi Touring screen.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

'Nuther me too posting....

I am 5'6", presently.

I had the Givi windscreen on my 6th Gen, but put the stock screen back on. Ok, on the superslab at 'Citation Speed' (80+ MPH actual, 88+ MPH indicated) I definitely got more buffeting, behind the stock windscreen. But apparently only when I have my tank bag on the bike, I rode the other night w/o the tank bag and the buffeting was less severe. The stock screen definitely applies alot of pressure to my helmet at 'Citation Speeds' vs. the Givi, so I am thinking about going back.

Behind the Givi, at all speeds, if I raise my head up another 3" or so, I can find 'clean air'. There is no such pocket behind the stock screen, other than putting my chest on the top of the tank. But FWIW, in my typical, relaxed riding position, I get alot of noisy turbulence behind the Givi, but only noise and no pressure. So you taller riders will probably like the Givi screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

BTW,

on VFRWorld, someone was selling two ZG DB screens at a discount last week, and I got the last one. Put that screen on this morning before commuting to work.

Now we're cooking with propane! Of the 3 screens I have, this one is the best. Looks good on the bike, the helmet rides in a nice stream of air, & minimal buffeting at 'Citation Speed.' No interaction with the tank bag. So for looks & comfort, the ZG DB screen is the best.

For taller rides and comfort is the highest priority, go with the Givi. Us shorter guys don't enjoy the full benefits of the Givi tho and the Givi screen does make the bike bounce around more at 'Citation' speeds.

Stock screen looks better than the Givi and slices through the air better than the Givi, but its noisier and for us shorter riders, I presume, the helmet receives a pretty stiff blast of air.

I put on a ZG DB screen on my 4th gen this winter on my bike too. I've been thoroughly satisfied with the improved wind protection and quality I'm getting from it. No negative effects I can feel so far, much less turbulence in headwinds and also very quiet in non-windy conditions. :thumbsup: Just like my heated grips, I don't know why I waited so long to put it on my bike. I might have better hearing these days if I did. :music:

I noticed that the ZG does not work for everyone for some reason. Must be the different rider height to top of screen relationship at play.

BTW, the "seconds" I got was actually perfect. No defects or blemishes on it. I guess it's the luck of the draw when you buy them of eBay like most of us did recently.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Waiting 4 months for my ZG DB. I guess they had to 5-axis mill it from diamond or Madonna's toenails or something. I went through dealer. Supposed to be in next week. Looking forward to a higher blast height. Not bad now (I'm only 5'7") but higher should be better. My favorite riding is more tour-oriented.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I also got a light smoke ZG DB from the factory seconds ebay seller. It was essentially half price...and seems to me to be flawless.

I like it much better than the stock screen. Before, I got a lot of wind around the neck and chin, and often up into my helmet. Now, I get a nice blast at the shoulders that pushes on my torso and takes some pressure of my wrists at speed. I'm 6'6" 220 35" inseam.

I'd highly recommend the ZG DB for around town stuff - at some point I might want the Givi for the weekend trips. Also, I'd recommend the light smoke over the dark smoke. It still looks saaaweeet and you can see through it if you're in a full tuck.

Does anybody have a bug buster that will fit the ZG DB?

If anyone wants a ZG sport touring for a 6th gen then let me know. I got one of the ebay seconds at the usual good price but didn't realize that it was for a 6th gen and not a 5th gen. You mean that all 800's aren't 5th gens? :huh:

Anyway I would be willing to part with it for a bit over shipping cost. There are a couple minor marks on it which is probably why it's a second but nothing that would have prevented me from installing it on my bike if it only fit

I just put a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen on my 5th gen VFR. After one ride with the new screen, I know I made the right choice! Looks great and the protection from the wind is much improved. I'm a tall guy (6'2'') so it was hard to get any protection from the stock windscreen. I highly recommend this screen! Ride well!

It takes a good 500 miles or so and a couple of days to really put the screen through its paces. From what I can tell raising up the air flow 3 or 4 inches creates other issues, and stock screen is a good comprimise.

The answer though is a lower screen, unless you install a 3 ft tall screen to remove all the air over the head..

I'm about 5"9 and the stock screen was pretty loud (2 aftermarkets were even louder plus the tallest gave me googley eyes going against a headwind and made me sick). Raising me up was the answer or lowering the screen.

Honda produced an 8 inchzone of airflow right at eye level for a 5 "10 rider, the middle to the bottom side of that zone has alot of noise and generally raising the airflow up brings the noise with it. On top of that 8 inch zone, it becomes quieter, but too high it goes to the googley eyed zone.

I prefer the wind to start at chest level

• Member Contributer

A little update on my screen purchase - I finally got the screen after 4 1/2 mos., but it wasn't ZG. I took it anyway. Now I find, however, that the wind noise is huge! I can barely hear the engine at 120kmh (70mph). So, I contacted Motoracerdepot.com and ordered a real ZG. I'll update later.

• 11 months later...

Did anyone notice/care the ZG Double B windscreen says right on the pkg it is not intended for 'street' use. That it is an unsafe product that may shatter and cause the rider harm???

I put it on anyways as an experiment cause it didn't cost me anything

(came with the bike from the prior owner) and I don't like the stock shield.

It is much thinner plastic then the stock.

Archived