Front Wheel direction vs tire direction

klrtovfr

I recently had the dealer put a new tire on my front wheel (I removed the wheel from the bike myself). I brought it home and was getting ready to put it back on the forks and I noticed an arrow on the rim itself was pointing in the opposite direction of the rotation arrow that is on the new tire. Should I take it back to the dealer and have them put the tire on so that the arrows on the tire and wheel match or will it be fine the way it is?

I recently had the dealer put a new tire on my front wheel (I removed the wheel from the bike myself). I brought it home and was getting ready to put it back on the forks and I noticed an arrow on the rim itself was pointing in the opposite direction of the rotation arrow that is on the new tire. Should I take it back to the dealer and have them put the tire on so that the arrows on the tire and wheel match or will it be fine the way it is?

yeah i think might be a good idea being that the tire is directional :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Oh my god yes!!! Do not run the tire backwards. And scold the dealer for being morons, I'd not go back there. Even a monkey with a pen could get the tire on the right way.

AbsoFu$#in-lootly. Loosers!! I followed two guys into willow Springs to see the willow 200, and noticed they had the same tires, but they looked a little different. I mentioned that one of them might have their tires mounted wrong. One guy laughed at the other guy and said, ha, your tires are mounted wrong. Then we looked closer and noticed his bikes tires were actually installed wrong. Very funny!

Ya, get it fixed pronto.

• Member Contributer
AbsoFu$#in-lootly. Loosers!! I followed two guys into willow Springs to see the willow 200, and noticed they had the same tires, but they looked a little different. I mentioned that one of them might have their tires mounted wrong. One guy laughed at the other guy and said, ha, your tires are mounted wrong. Then we looked closer and noticed his bikes tires were actually installed wrong. Very funny!

Ya, get it fixed pronto.

I had the same thing happen on my 919 back in 02.... Hit a nail with only about 100 miles on the bike. Didn't notice for a few weeks... it was my first bike :pissed: and when I took it back my dealer provided me with new rubber.

Kevin

PS

Shot out to HONDA OF RICHMOND KY

Thanks thats what I thought.

I knew something was wrong when there was a lot of free play between the spacers and the hub. The hub on the left side extends out further than the right when it is on the correct way. I sat there confused :blink: because the tire arrow was the right way, but then I looked for the wheel Arrow and it was going the opposite direction. I didn't actually ride it like that so it shouldn't be damaged, but glad I caught that right away.

The dealer is Vetesnik Powersports, Wisconsins largest Honda dealer in Wisconsin located in Richland Center. I think they were in a hurry and they probably forgot how to work on motorcycles as its been mostly snowmobiles up here for the past few months. I know the main mechanic knows his stuff, but I don't think he put it on. I've never had them do any major work other than the stator recall. But it definitely discouraged me from having them do my valve check. I'm probably the only one that has brought a vfr there for service, but a wheel and tire is something on every bike so how could they screw that up? They will hear an earful from me. :pissed:

What makes it worse is that they are the largest volume honda dealer in wisconsin and they have never had a vfr in the showroom but they have a dozen goldwings that are all the same thing. They do have a 87 vfr in the back but they want almost 4 grand for it, nothing special about it. Needless to say its been there for over a year.

My next purchase is going to be a tire changer, no more trusting others except the people here.

Unbelievable.

You can never lower the bar enough for some people.

I hope you give that dealer a WICKED scolding! (I never do because I expect so little of them in the first place)

• Member Contributer

Good thing you took only the wheels there. If you had brought the whole bike, they might have mounted the tire backards and you may not have noticed for a while. Wouldn't really matter that much, but someone may have spotted it at bike night and you'd feel stupid... :pissed:

Find a local non dealer independant shop to get stuff. Chances are the actuall shop owner will be the one mounting your tires next time, not the new kid who doesn't give a crap about your or your bike.

My bud Mark has, I believe, the only shop in the known universe where you can sit and watch your bike being worked on. Not scooted off into the dark recesses of the back of the building, where who knows what is being done to your machine. This way you can actually watch as he f#@*&s up your stuff! :lol:

Its also fun to watch him try to figure out which direction a single sided VFR wheel spins... :P

• Member Contributer
My bud Mark has, I believe, the only shop in the known universe where you can sit and watch your bike being worked on. 

There's an independent shop down the street from me that not only can you watch (he's in an old gas station with three service bays), but you can stand next to him and chat while he's working on your (or somebody else's) bike...although I like to leave him alone and let him concentrate while working on my stuff. :D

• Member Contributer
There's an independent shop down the street from me that not only can you watch (he's in an old gas station with three service bays), but you can stand next to him and chat while he's working on your (or somebody else's) bike...although I like to leave him alone and let him concentrate while working on my stuff.  :D

Very cool! That's the best type of place to go to for sure.

• Member Contributer

The first time I went by his shop I had just bought my Concours and was inquiring about the initial vavle adjustment. He said "Man, those are great bikes, the engine's bulletproof!". He then showed me his personal ZL1000 with the same engine and insisted I take it for a ride to check out the new D&D pipe he had just installed.

I take the bike out and around the block, taking it abit easy (as it ain't my bike). When I come back, he say's "No, you gotta really wind it out. Go on, don't shift until around 11 grand!". Uh, OK. So I take 'er back out and hammer it...Holy Crap that thing was a monster!

Needless to say he gets most of my business now. :thumbsup:

Shout out to Scott's Motorcycle Repair in Gardendale, Alabama.

• Member Contributer

Wanna hear something funny? I remember asking about, and hearing the dealers explanation of why it costs so much more to do a vtec v adj... That was in 2002... So, for the hell of it, I threw a few questions at them again when just shooting the sh%t, AND they STILL have no clue! It has been 4 years & they have obviously still never done one yet...

They STILL maintain that they have to check the normal valves, stop, (this is where it gets wierd) and then run the bike up to temp's several times, so that they can check measurements on all the vtec valves. LoL! What the heck is that?? This is almost as old school as when people were claiming that the engine was required to be removed from the frame in order to do the work! Remember that?

Plus, they do not even own an outside micrometer... Wouldn't trust em myself, to do any work really...including front tires...

Later, Ian

Dude, I did this myself once! Even ran half a track day with the tire on backward, till somebody else pointed it out! Let's just say I went home with half tread on one side of my front that day. Nobody to blame but me!

Archived