sport up front/ sport touring in rear

maxredline

• Member Contributer

Yes another "fresh" tire thread.... <_< . I have a pair of battlax b014's on my 97. I do love these tires. They inspire confidence and the traction is great. I realize that the traction is the flip side of tire wear. I am thinking about a b014 on the front with a b020 on the rear. Maybe a pilot power on the front with a piolt road on the rear.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two set ups?

• 5 weeks later...

yep, used to run Pilot Sport front, road rear, but then went to both Sport due to better grip, quicker warm up, and not much of a drop in mileage.

But now I just run Pilot Power front and rear. Get about 12-13k km front, 7-8k km rear.

• Member Contributer

MIXING tire brands could be fatal. mixing tires of a similar thread and compound may work for you but tires like the pilot powers have a unique profile and would not mix well with others, ever heard of not mixing bias and radial? may get similar results. i paid way to much for my bike to take chances................

MIXING tire brands could be fatal. mixing tires of a similar thread and compound may work for you but tires like the pilot powers have a unique profile and would not mix well with others, ever heard of not mixing bias and radial? may get similar results. i paid way to much for my bike to take chances................

I've mixed and matched everything together and have never experienced a problem and I'm Very aware of what the tires are doing at all times. I think I have a M1 front and a Pilot Power rear and it rails.

You could be better staying with the same manufacture, but i don't think it's a problem at all. Not that two different tire profiles couldn't make the bike feel wierd.

Sport front and Sport Touring on the rear is very common. :thumbsup:

ditto - Ive done a couple of mix and matches, usually when I'm somewhere remote and cant get what I want, and haven't had a problem.

I've just gone back to Powers F/R after a Power F and a BT014 rear, which I only got because the previous Power R wore ot quicker than I predicted, and I was 100's of miles away from home.

The only thing I would say is the 014 felt a bit "squirmier", but that may only be because I was trying to find a difference.

ditto - Ive done a couple of mix and matches, usually when I'm somewhere remote and cant get what I want, and haven't had a problem.

I've just gone back to Powers F/R after a Power F and a BT014 rear, which I only got because the previous Power R wore ot quicker than I predicted, and I was 100's of miles away from home.

The only thing I would say is the 014 felt a bit "squirmier", but that may only be because I was trying to find a difference.

My choice is Pilot Powers all around, I like em! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I have a Metzler sport rear tire, and a Diablo front on mine now. I have logged about 1,100 miles on that setup. No complaints at all. Its like those high-tech, 300 mph, magnetic, floating trains!

Aren't the rear tires sometimes seen as the more important of the two? Just so long as the front has a good reputation for stopping power when applying the brakes? Otherwise, if you replace the rear three times as often, at least every time you'll know that your rear sticks! I like to manipulate my bike with peg force & body position. And many times I could just stick the rear, and just slip the front on through a turn, just hairs off the ground!

The rear tire is loaded much heavier than the front tire for most all technical fast maneuvers, except for braking (which is just a quick get up really)...

Later

• Member Contributer

To me, the 46 seemed 'mushy', for lack of a better term.

Funny thing is, I liked it! Low speeds, less than 20ish, you can definitely feel the deep grooves... Great tire in the rain! I rode it in winter, and even once through a coastal NC snow blizzard (took me thru 2 - 3 inches of slush)!

I have a Metzler sport rear tire, and a Diablo front on mine now.  I have logged about 1,100 miles on that setup.  No complaints at all.  Its like those high-tech, 300 mph, magnetic, floating trains! 

Aren't the rear tires sometimes seen as the more important of the two?  Just so long as the front has a good reputation for stopping power when applying the brakes?  Otherwise, if you replace the rear three times as often, at least every time you'll know that your rear sticks!  I like to manipulate my bike with peg force & body position.  And many times I could just stick the rear, and just slip the front on through a turn, just hairs off the ground! 

The rear tire is loaded much heavier than the front tire for most all technical fast maneuvers, except for braking (which is just a quick get up really)...

Later

I'd rather have the front stick than the rear anytime, I can handle rear slides much better than a front slide. This is the Main reason you should run a sticker tire on the front of the bike, like a Sport front and Sport Touring on the rear if your not running the same f&r because you always want more front grip.

All I do is Twisties and Front traction means so much more to me, it it doesn't stick your toast! :wheel: End of story!

Guest mark vfr

I HAVE BTO2O FRONT AND REAR THEY ARE THE BEST SET I HAVE EVER RAN

GREAT CORNERING AND VERY GOOD TIRE WEAR

THIS IS THE SECOND PAIR I HAVE USED 1ST GOT ME 5000 MILES

NOT BAD FOR THIS TYPE OF STICKY TIRE!!!

WOULDNT USE ANY OTHER TIRE SET PERSONALLY

JUST MY OPINION!! :wheel: :media:

• Member Contributer

:wheel:

The tire companies tell us over and over not to mix and match, and that the rears have a harder compound then the front anyway when you use the same model front/rear.

Don't want to get in the holy war since I know lots of S/T riders know more then the tire companies, the tire reps will be happy to argue this with you if you call them up or talk to them at the track.

Only reason I can see for people wanting to do this and/or thinking it works well is not being good about checking their tire pressures, running the wrong tire pressure in the first place, being overweight for the design of the bike and/or tire, or possibly something about riding style. (Whacking the throttle hard? Not being smooth? Wheelies?)

I've never worn out the rear before the front, and I always get good mileage. I've had several different sets of S/T tires from Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Metzeler go almost 10,000 miles. And I've always changed them before the front or back has worn through... at that point the tire is still serviceable but the shape is off so I'm completely sick of them.

I have Diablo Corsas right now, they've got about 3000 miles on them and there is barely any visible wear, and I'd definitely expect these to be a short lived tire.

I ALWAYS mix tires because I do a bit of commuting. When I put a sport tire on the rear I eat through it in a 3rd the amount of time then if I have an ST tire on back.

I've run

Pilot power front pilot road rear

D208 front D220 rear

BT014 front BT020 rear

M3 and m1 front and z6 rear

Right now I have an m3 on the front and just put an Avon azaro on the rear.

And I've mixed and matched most of the above...

All have worked great. No issues. The only tire I didn't like was the pilot road. It last forever but just didn't inspire confidence.

Just my $.02

I ALWAYS mix tires because I do a bit of commuting. When I put a sport tire on the rear I eat through it in a 3rd the amount of time then if I have an ST tire on back.

I've run

Pilot power front  pilot road rear

D208 front  D220  rear

BT014 front BT020 rear

M3 and m1 front and z6 rear

Right now I have an m3 on the front and just put an Avon azaro on the rear.

And I've mixed and matched most of the above...

All have worked great. No issues. The only tire I didn't like was the pilot road. It last forever but just didn't inspire confidence.

Just my $.02

You are going to Hell mister, mixing like that ! :wheel:

No problems here either doing the same. :thumbsup: , but I stopped trying the ST rear route, just loose confidence in the ST rear's as they wear at the levels I push them. Again I do zero commuting, only twisties! :P

• Member Contributer

FWIW, I was talking to the Service Manager today where I bought my bike and he recommended a Z6 on the rear and a cheaper sport bike Metzler on the front. He does that on his VFR and says they wear out at about the same time with no handling issues. He's a twistie freak too.

Sure would be convenient if they both went at the same time.

Quite right.

Riding a bike is WAY too chancey - I'd give it up if I were you.

Sport front, sport-touring rear? Too right, Mate! :thumbsup:

I've had:

Dunslop sports / Avon sport-touring rear (VF500)

BT012F/BT020R (VFR750)

Azaro AV49-SP front / AV46-ST rear (VTR1000)

AV49-SP/AV46-ST (VFR800)

Apart from the VF500, where both tyres were total crap, it's all been good! The tyres wear out at the same rate, the turn-in from a sports front is better, the handling lighter, and no problems at all! And ALL the tyre technicians I've spoken to agree with these choices.

Lifesaver: the Azaro may have felt "mushy" because it has a fairly soft carcase. If you don't run it at recommended pressure, it will tend to move around a bit.

• Member Contributer

I also ride only in the twisties. Yesterday, I rode from 11:30 until 7:59. Nothing but twists. I push very hard, and carry a load of speed through the curves. I feel like the most important tire is the front. I want it to stick. I can deal with a loose rear tire much better than a loose front.

I'm running the Pirelli Diablo Corsa on the front and rear. I've not tried the Pilot Power. In my mind, the Diablo is confidence inspiring. As far as wear goes, it appears the rear is wearing twice as fast as the front.

Just my $.02. I don't want you guys to miss me too much. :blink:

Guest VFRROBIN

:beer: great thread, and excellent timing. i am going to the local Cycle Gear store on Wed for new tires. i was mulling over several choices. keeping my 010 on the front and replacing just the rear .OR, it was Dunlop, Metzler, or Michelein.

well after reading this.. i think its a full set of Pilot Powers.

Archived