Beware 90 degree valve stems

maddog

I've had the misfortune to suffer two valve stem failures, both on front tires, in the past few months. The most recent was last night, coming home from work.

The first one occured on a Sunday morning, on a lightly traveled two lane road in very rural(no cell coverage) Missouri. Fortunately, I wasn't really hauling, due to loose gravel. But it is very difficult to maintain control on a narrow, ditch-lined road(no shoulders) with a very suddenly flat front tire.

The episode last night occurred on an Illinois interstate highway as I was preparing to exit. The tire gave some indication something was wrong, and within maybe three or four seconds, the tire was completely flat, with steering being very difficult. I made it to the exit ramp and parked immediately.

The culprit in both cases was a 90 degree rubber valve stem. In the first case it had lasted for many thousands of miles. I really don't recall when it had been installed. The most recent failure was on a valve stem with fewer than 1000 miles. In both cases the tires(Metzlers) were in excellent condition.

I blame myself for not learning from the first episode. There is no way my bike will ever have another rubber 90 degree valve stem. I may, however, put on some Ariete 90 degree aluminum valve stems.

I don't know what it is about Illinois and Missouri, but I have now had a rear tire blow out on I-70 (north St. Louis) plus the two valve stem failures (one in each state). Prior to these cases, I have gone decades and a huge amount of miles without any tire-related problems.

On another note, all three of these cases resulted in me having to contact Honda Riders Club (HRCA) for their towing services. I have found them to be very slow to answer the call (30+ minutes on hold is not uncommon, like last night). Then some doofus comes out with tow truck without proper M/C tie-downs, no idea how to deal with a bike with fairings ("I thought it was a full dress Hardley"). He left, with me again stranded. Cops showed up, gave ma a ride home, and I arranged with a local provider for service (Beyer Auto Body & Towing in Glen Carbon, Il.).

Prompt, knowledgeable service. Finally!

Sorry for the long-winded blab, but hopefully someone else will benefit from my tales of woe.

Thankfully, I'll be heading back to Idaho in about a month. Can't wait. smile.gif

Man that's a very bad feeling when the front goes down that quick. I was on I-40 doing around 70 mph when I felt something strange with the front and a second or 3 later I had almost No ability to turn the bike and I was in a turn. :goofy: managed to get it stopped against the center wall, wipe my butt and almost idled across 3 lanes of highway traffic. Not fun and couldn't imagine having that happen while rippen a set of twisties!!! :goofy:

It was a failed rubber valve stem (straight).

• Member Contributer
Cops showed up, gave ma a ride home, and I arranged with a local provider for service (Beyer Auto Body & Towing in Glen Carbon, Il.).

Prompt, knowledgeable service. Finally!

Thats where I'm from. Edwardsville and Glen Carbon are basically one and the same. Where did you break down at.

• Member Contributer

I have never had a valve stem fail but on two occasions have hit objects in the road that bent the front rim and caused the tires to go flat. The first time I was only about five miles from home and rode it in flat. Straight line was no problem. Turning was a different story.

This past New Years Eve I collected a piece of firewood. Never saw it before it launched my front end about two feet skyward. This time I was 70 miles from home. I got off to check the tire and rim. Rim was bent but pressure seemed OK. Turned for home and felt the lack of response on the first curve. Backed off to about 55-60 and took her home. I guarantee you this will give you a tension headache!

I was going to attach an image from my gallery but can't seem to get the hang of it. There are a couple of pics there if you are interested.

Thats where I'm from. Edwardsville and Glen Carbon are basically one and the same. Where did you break down at.

Tire started going down while on I 270 eastbound, about 1/2 mile west of 159 exit. I did make it to the exit ramp, where I parked it.

I'll remove the wheel tonight after work and hopefully get repairs done tomorrow morning.

I've read on other forums that 90 degree valve stems are prone to failure. I have steel straight ones on my bikes, swapped out the plastic/rubber ones.

A 90 degree steel one would be nice for checking pressure though.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

only problem is there is only two of listed for all of northern california. Me and Alleycatdad

By the way, my 90deg. stems work very well.

Archived