stripping rims

teleskier

Looks pretty clean skier.

If I decide to strip my lips, is there something I have to treat the metal with to keep it from rusting, and to keep the paint from chipping?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

If I decide to strip my lips, is there something I have to treat the metal with to keep it from rusting, and to keep the paint from chipping?

Aluminum doesn?t rust

• Member Contributer

I tried Jasco, Airplane stripper and a brand I used to sell that is stronger than Jasco and no luck with any of them. I sure wish I could have wiped it off with a sponge like some else mentioned. I spend 6 hours on one wheel and it was only half done.

• Member Contributer

Hey Rod, Nice bike. I noticed that you had your headers jet hot coated. Look good. Did you gut your cat too and remove the heat sheild or did you just send them in stock and have them coated. I can't tell from the pic. Which stripper did you use on your wheels? Did you mask off the painted areas to keep the edge clean ?

The rims are actually clear anodised under the paint, so they should be fine. But (however/also/nevertheless) when I stripped my 90's rims, I found that there was some corrosion under/in/through the anodising. Bummner, dude!

So it's not absolute protection, and an occasional waxing or rub over with metal polish wouldn't hurt.

I had the stock pipes coated, the heat shield and the cat are still in place. I just made sure that they did not coat the inside of the cat.

i used aircraft spray stripper from the auto parts store. I used the sticky beige masking tape. doubled taped near the striping edge, followed up with some mothers wheel polish makes em shine!

Hey Rod, Nice bike. I noticed that you had your headers jet hot coated. Look good. Did you gut your cat too and remove the heat sheild or did you just send them in stock and have them coated. I can't tell from the pic. Which stripper did you use on your wheels? Did you mask off the painted areas to keep the edge clean ?

• Member Contributer
I tried Jasco, Airplane stripper and a brand I used to sell that is stronger than Jasco and no luck with any of them.? I sure wish I could? have wiped it off with a sponge like some else mentioned.? I spend 6 hours on one wheel and it was only half done.

I wonder if temperature had something to do with it. The lower the temp, the less the stripper will work because it slows down the chemical reaction. I did mine in the middle of the summer so maybe that is why it came off so easy.

Others asked about corrosion protection... Once the rim was stripped , I coated the bare area with a Marine Teflon Wax I found at a boat store. It stays pretty shiny and I have had no probs with chipping at the remaining painted edges. And aluminum does "rust" by the way. It is a white powder called aluminum oxide vice the red iron oxide powder associated with iron (steel) products. But it is a much slower reaction.

nice bike ROD... I am seriously thinking about doing this, as it is something that the mechanically challenged "TEAM ROACH" (me and my dad) could actually do ourselves. I have always wanted to have shiny chrome rims.... Maybe next I'll buy some spinners! :D

• Member Contributer
nice bike ROD... I am seriously thinking about doing this, as it is something that the mechanically challenged "TEAM ROACH" (me and my dad) could actually do ourselves. I have always wanted to have shiny chrome rims.... Maybe next I'll buy some spinners! :D

I did the rims on my last bike, just be patient with the stripper. And make sure that you tape off what you don't want to be stripped very well. Just one drop in a place that you don't want it and you are off to the powder coater. It is very simple as long as you take your time. But if you are looking for a mirror finish, you will either have to polish, which requires sanding down to like 3000 grit sand paper, or you will have to splurge for chrome. Just striping the rims reveals a shiny silver anodized color, quite shiny, but not chrome. Polishing is simple, but extremely time consuming and you will blister the piss out of your hands unless you are very good with a dremel. But it is quite easy to gouge the rims with a rotary tool. And if you polish them, the bare aluminum will tarnish over time. I had to use Mothers Mag polish like once every 2 weeks on my old bike. And at that time, they looked very bad. To keep them shiny you would have to polish at about every ride. Alot of work, my advice is to just strip them to the anodized finish or go all out with chrome.

Now for the spinners......... I don't think so! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

OK..I seem to be getting the run around here. Since I have not been able to successfully strip my wheels for whatever reason, I have been looking for a chemical dip tank. No here where I live. I found one in Central Calif and one in the bay area but neither place can guarentee that the clear anodized will remain or what it will look like. They also say that it will take about 3 days in the tank and cost me about $125 per wheel.

What is the experience of the board members here who have dipped their rims?

• Member Contributer

To all the strippers, after it is polished, nice and clean, what do you do to protect it? Do you clear coat them, or clear powder coat them? I think that either way, they won't be as shiny. I polished my swingarm on my TZR, and to keep it nice, I had to repolish it every time it got wet, lube the chain etc.

Thanks.

BTW: some of you have done stunning jobs.

• Member Contributer
OK..I seem to be getting the run around here. Since I have not been able to successfully strip my wheels for whatever reason, I have been looking for a chemical dip tank.  No here where I live. I found one in Central Calif and one in the bay area but neither place can guarentee that the clear anodized will remain or what it will look like. They also say that it will take about 3 days in the tank and cost me about $125 per wheel.

What is the experience of the board members here who have dipped their rims?

I recently spoke with a local shop here in Ohio who will chemically strip the rim for $35, and apply a clear coat "powder coat" to protect the bare aluminum for an additional $25. This clear coat is baked on just like a powder coat. I plan on using him for a set of wheels soon. I'll let you know how they come out.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So how did those wheels come out? I have heard that folks do not clear powder coat as they tend to yellow over time.

• Member Contributer
So how did those wheels come out?  I have heard that folks do not clear powder coat as they tend to yellow over time.

T, I'm awaiting the delivery of my first test subject. I'm also going to ask the shop in detail the exact process including long term wear, and incorporate the information brought up on another thread regarding the heat cycling of Aluminum and the long term effects of heat. From my first meeting with the shop, they said that the clear powder coat is just a durable as a color powder coat.

They also told me that there are some powder coat colors that use/require a clear powder coat for full application.

I hope to have some results within the next 3-4 weeks.

Jim

• Member Contributer

yes some do require a clear coat to perfect the finish and get a nice gloss. When i was looking, the shop actually showed me how adding a clear to some colors actually changes the color totally.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks to HS's how-to on stripping, the first coat of airplane stripper is now soaking on my rear rim. I've got that funny "hope this works" feeling but at least I know where to turn if something goes funny...........wish me luck.......fresh can of Blue Magic standing by........

According to your posts, you've got 8 hours in already. Have a :goofy: and call it a night. You can't pay yourself overtime. Call it a night and git 'er done tomorrow.

• Member Contributer
3 coats latter......still scraping.

Sounds like what happened to me the first time. Seal the coated rim a plastic garbage bag for an hour or two and it should bubble right off.

• Member Contributer

Not quite as horrible as it seems hour wise. I did run some errands and goof off throughout the day in between but it still took three coats - the last of which was in a bag - thanks to teleskier. I test polished a section of the outer rim. Shines like a new dime. The inner spokes still look whiteish but I haven't tried to polish any of that section yet. I do know it will be a rough gray finish, not shiny like the rim.

Also a quick thanks to HS for suggesting having some baking soda handy. After cleaning up my mess last night and making room for the cars in the garage I had one piece of a drop cloth left on the table where I was working. As I pulled it off the table three globs of stripper flipped off on me. One in the hair - no harm done. However two of them flipped onto my neck. Instant bee sting effect! I grabbed a hand full of soda and rubbed it onto my neck. INSTANT RELIEF! Not funny at the time but I was laughing to myself about it today. There I was, working on the rims with safety glasses, heavy rubber gloves, long sleeves, old jeans, and then the last two minutes of clean up I throw stripper on my head. :goofy: Aw where is the video camera when you need it? - and now it looks like I have a couple of little hickeys on my neck. Makes me feel young again.

• Member Contributer

glad the bag technique worked for you too. As far as removing all of the white stuff and other paint in the rough areas, I just used a stiff bristle kitchen scouring brush in the nooks and crannies. Very clean with no paint remaining.

Archived