Aerostich Roadcrafter questions

DarrenC

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking of getting an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and was wondering if any of you guys knew the answers to some of these...

With the VFR's stock seating position do I need to have the suit altered to include the ellipse ($50) and forward rotated sleeves ($75)? I know they're not always necessary, but I don't want to spend all that money and they have it not fit comfortably over my clothes. I'm 6'1" and weigh 170 with a 32" waist.

How easy is this thing to get on and off over street clothes? My purpose is to use this for commuting and not carry all the luggage for my clothes.

I'm also thinking of adding the back ($60) and hip pads ($30). Is that a waste of money since it comes with TF2 hardshell armor in the shoulders, elbows and knees? I'm a stickler for safety and the more armor the better, right?

Thanks guys/gals!

D

• Member Contributer

I also have questions. I need clothing that leaves me enough room in the seat and thighs as my thighs are 35" (bigger than your avg. bear) so off the rack does not work most of the time. With my current pants, Fieldsheer, I buy two sizes too big in the wiast and still I can only put long underwear under them and they are snug.

I'm thinking of getting an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and was wondering if any of you guys knew the answers to some of these...

With the VFR's stock seating position do I need to have the suit altered to include the ellipse ($50) and forward rotated sleeves ($75)?  I know they're not always necessary, but I don't want to spend all that money and they have it not fit comfortably over my clothes.  I'm 6'1" and weigh 170 with a 32" waist.

I think that ellipse is a zip-on part that one can add later if necessary. My suit doesn't have any special sleeve arrangement and it's comfortable enough on the VFR or the CBR. I guess if you intend to get a hard core full-tuck sport bike it might help, and it certainly wouldn't hurt in any case.

How easy is this thing to get on and off over street clothes?  My purpose is to use this for commuting and not carry all the luggage for my clothes.

Very easy. I have a 2 -piece, which might take an additional 5 seconds over their 15 second claim.

I'm also thinking of adding the back ($60) and hip pads ($30).  Is that a waste of money since it comes with TF2 hardshell armor in the shoulders, elbows and knees?  I'm a stickler for safety and the more armor the better, right?

Thanks guys/gals!

D

The more the merrier, though the Aerostich back pad is inadequate compared to a real back protector. I put my Bohn on under it instead. I think Bohn has a design that velcros in to the Aerostich without modification.

It's a very well made, well thought out product, and the company is very customer oriented.

• Member Contributer

I've got one without the forward rotated sleeves. I have not had a problem with fit reaching the bars. Sometimes it feels just slightly too short up the back, though, and I wonder if I maybe would have been better off getting the elliptical insert. Of course, I think whether or not you need it is very person specific. I have a fairly long torso for my height. The suit fits me perfectly when I have a single layer underneath, but gets a little tight and binds a bit if I try to put on anything more insulating than a fleece underneath. In some ways, I wish I had gotten a slightly bigger size, but if I had the armor probably wouldn't be placed (and stay placed during a crash) as well as it is right now. If I were you, I would take a bunch of different measurements, including of your torso length, and just tell the aerostich guy on the phone what your concerns are and what your measurements are. They are good at figuring out what size you will want.

I don't yet have the back protector or hip pads since I like to roll it up and stuff it in my hard bag after riding to work, and it won't fit with the extra armor in there. But I am thinking about getting them and inserting them into the suit whenever I go riding on the weekends.

The suit is EXTREMELY easy to get on and off over streetclothes. It is a very quick and painless maneuver. The ideal commuting suit, IMO. :thumbsup:

Get it. I've never talked to anyone who has one who doesn't love it.

• Member Contributer
If I were you, I would take a bunch of different measurements, including of your torso length, and just tell the aerostich guy on the phone what your concerns are and what your measurements are.  They are good at figuring out what size you will want.

I *just* got an email back from Aerostich and that's exactly what they said to do, email them my measurements and they'll guarantee the fit.

• Member Contributer

With the VFR's stock seating position do I need to have the suit altered to include the ellipse ($50) and forward rotated sleeves ($75)?  I know they're not always necessary, but I don't want to spend all that money and they have it not fit comfortably over my clothes.  I'm 6'1" and weigh 170 with a 32" waist.

How easy is this thing to get on and off over street clothes?  My purpose is to use this for commuting and not carry all the luggage for my clothes.

I'm also thinking of adding the back ($60) and hip pads ($30).  Is that a waste of money since it comes with TF2 hardshell armor in the shoulders, elbows and knees?  I'm a stickler for safety and the more armor the better, right?

Thanks guys/gals!

D

I have a one-piece Roadcrafter (11 years old, now), and can't recommend it highly enough. It does work great over street clothes, very quick to get on and off (especially the one-piece). I also chose the one-piece so I would not be tempted to wear just the jacket (I have a leather jacket for very short summer town errands). With an electric vest, I never need to wear much additional under it.

Mine started as a 44L, but I had 2" added above the knees, and 1" added below, since I have a 38" inseam. I don't find that I need the ellipse, but I also have a short torso for my height (6'3"). If your torso is long, you may need it. I don't think anyone would need the forward-rotated sleeves on a VFR or similar bike. Mine is relatively snug in the thighs over jeans (I'm a cyclist, but legs aren't that big); Teleskier would need to see if they can do custom thigh width.

I haven't had the back pad or hip pads, but if you were so inclined, I would recommend a real back protector. I have had a 50+ mph low-side in the suit, which I was able to get up from and ride the rest of the way to work. The suit only required minor repairs (scuffs, no tears), which were handled quickly.

I also have the Combat Touring boots, which took like a month of daily wear to break in, but are bullet-proof. They're fine, but if I can ever wear these out, I'll probably try something else next time (a lighter water-proof road-race style boot).

Thanks guys/gals!

D

I love my one piece Roadcrafter. I've had it four years and put about 55K miles on it and its as new. It really is as good as Aerostich claims - warmer in the cold and cooler in the heat than leather. And when its really, really hot othing beats the look you get packing the pockets with ice at a gas station.

I'm 5' 11" and a trim 175, 33 waist and 30 inseam and the 42 regular fits me very well through the shoulders, arms and torso. I can wear t-shit, overshirt, and jeans under the suit with plenty of room. If its really cold, I can add an elec. vest, fleece pullover pants or long johns, and a fleece pullover top. It gets a little snug with all those layers but it is not at all tights or restricting on the bike. I suggest that you call the store...they will help you pick the right suit. Go for an off-the-rack version first and if you get it and it does not fit you can return the thing for the right size or a refund. The folks at Aero are really good about that.

I use mine on a stock '03 VFR and a BMW LT, and have tried it for a few 30 min, to 60 min. rides on an R6. I never felt the need the ellipse or sleeve rotation alterations on the VFR, or the LT. On the R6 I was so uncomfy anyway that I don't think the alterations would've made a difference in my endurance, but woul've allowed more layering in cold weather.

It really is a breeze to put on/take off over street clothes. It takes a while for the zippers to smooth out (silicone spray helps) and especially for the fabric to break in - its really stiff at first. It's fine over workwear or business casual. Although I know a lawyer who wears a suit under his, it'll wrinkle the jacket.

I wash mine every fall, and re-waterproof with a can of Scotchguard. With the zipper seam treatement (ask about it when youorder) and the annual wash/waterproof I'd say that, behind a fairing, it's 95% of a rainsuit. After hours of riding in heavy rain, I get wet under the collar and on the backs of my wrists.

Regarding the pads, nobody ever regretted having more pads in a crash, right?

I have had 2 aerostich suits in the past 12 years. I sold my first on after 10 years of use. There was nothing wrong with it except that the color had faded a bit. Pure vanity on my part really. I have commuted pretty much on a daily baisis for the last 13 years in mine. The posts above pretty much describe my experience as well.

Get the extra armor. I agree that the Aerostich back protector is not the best, but it works welll when you wear lots of layers under the suit.

Ditto on the wash and treat once a year. I would use a UV protector as well if you live in sunny climates.

The only problem I have ever had was when a zipper failed (after 7 years of constant use) and when some of the velcro got a little less sticky. Aerostich fixed them both for a very reasonable fee. Nice to be able to get maintenance done on your gear.

I own leathers, mesh and other riding gear but the Aerostich is the one I use the most. If I could only have one that would be it, no matter what the temp or climate, it always works well.

I also  have questions. I need clothing that leaves me enough room in the seat and thighs as my thighs are 35" (bigger than your avg. bear) so off the rack does not work most of the time.  With my current pants, Fieldsheer, I buy two sizes too big in the wiast and still I can only put long underwear under them and they are snug.

Holy smokes!! You mean each thigh is 35" in diameter??

I'm also thinking of adding the back ($60) and hip pads ($30).? Is that a waste of money since it comes with TF2 hardshell armor in the shoulders, elbows and knees?? I'm a stickler for safety and the more armor the better, right?

The hip pads are very good. They make all the difference if you fall. A back protector is also a good idea. Whether you want the Aerostich on is up to you.

Seeker

Montreal, Canada

Gerbing Heated JACKET LINER Review

http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product...rbing/liner.htm

:

• 4 weeks later...

Another new Aerostich RC (1-piece) owner here... I agree about the claims of putting it on in under 30 seconds. It's way simpler than the jacket/pants combo I have been using. And the suit quality and the customer service department so far have been top notch. I have a few questions for the experienced if you don't mind.

When I sit on the bike everything fits comfy although there is no left over material in the back area. It is a little snug in the chest area, although I'm at my heaviest weight (too much turkey), so this doesn't bother me. However, when bending down to get to the zippers at the ankle area the suit tightens up in my "nether regions", making things a little difficult. Also, if I ever get arrested I won't be able to put my hands over my head.

Is this acceptable fitment, or should I consider the back ellipse and/or side v-gussets too?

TIA

EDIT: D'oh - I just found this thread (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17106)

Guest sam1300

I am on my 3rd, 2 one piece and 1 2 piece. Love the one piece, never had or wanted the ellipse or back pads, have had 2 Dariens suits as well, love both of them. Just bought a Darien Light jacket-very useful and comfortable. I have no trouble putting it on in no time, fits right over street clothes and is also good with a full Gerbing suit underneath when weather turns cold. I would be surprised if you are dissapointmed.

Sam In Nashvile

• 1 month later...
Guest Peregrinus

OK, I had planned on my posting my own Aerostich questions, but this topic is perfect to piggyback them:

First, most of the way through a northern California winter, it seems that I should be safe in planning a low of around 40 or so, not too bad. How much have most folks increased their "normal suit size" to accommodate extra layers for cold-weather wear? A 42 suit is positively roomy for me, but I do not like loose duds on a bike, and so figured that would be fine.

Another question is, does anyone know if a 'stich will fold up small enough to fit into the OEM hard bags? It would really be preferable if it did, both for commuting and trips with sightseeing at the other end. (Also, I'm planning on either hiviz with black ballistics or the reverse, and would rather enjoy what I'm looking at than being looked at. smile.gif

Bob

• Forum CEO

Mine is roomy to accomidate a back protector and an undergarmet fleece or vest. It has a back velcro pinch to sinch it up a bit. The heavy matierial really doesnt flap around at all, better to be a bit room than too tight.

Mine will roll up into any of my givi bags but thats all that can go into the bag it takes up almost the whole bag.

Guest Peregrinus
Mine is roomy to accomidate a back protector and an undergarmet fleece or vest.  It has a back velcro pinch to sinch it up a bit.  The heavy matierial really doesnt flap around at all, better to be a bit room than too tight.

Mine will roll up into any of my givi bags but thats all that can go into the bag it takes up almost the whole bag.

OK, cool, thanks... how many suit sizes did you go up from your normal in order to get the right amount of room?

• Forum CEO
OK, cool, thanks... how many suit sizes did you go up from your normal in order to get the right amount of room?

You know I am not qualified for that Call em up they are very helpful, or email them. I cant even remember what size suit I have, its just bigger then the last one I had and its way more comfy that way.

• Member Contributer
Another question is, does anyone know if a 'stich will fold up small enough to fit into the OEM hard bags? It would really be preferable if it did, both for commuting and trips with sightseeing at the other end. (Also, I'm planning on either hiviz with black ballistics or the reverse, and would rather enjoy what I'm looking at than being looked at. smile.gif

Don't know about the OEM hard bags but from personal experience I do know that a 40R 1 piece with back protector will fit into a Givi E360 side case. The other bag held an Arai Quantum (size s) and Combat Touring boots (size 42).

Oh, and with a little more effort, the same Aerostich 1 piece fit into a BMW R1150R side case.

So it might be possible. Only one way to find out.

• Member Contributer

In my experience, they're sized pretty roomy, so you shouldn't have to go up from your suit size. I got a 44L, and wear either a 44L or 46R suit jacket (depending on sleeve length). I'm tall and relatively thin, though (6'3", 195 lb), so full-figured riders may have a different fit. The suit fits great in the VFR riding position, but I did have extra leg length added (3" total) for my freaky-long legs.

I use, and highly recommend, an electric vest (or jacket), which will take you down into the 30's comfortably with a fleece layer. With the electrics, you never need much bulk under, and the suit will fit well over just a T-shirt and shorts in the summer.

Original post from: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/s...threadid=151391

Cheap Aerostich RC Suits - Gray Only

If you're looking to buy a 'stich Aerostich is discounting their suits that have the old gray color, probably because people were complaining that it was actually green. The Roadcrafters are $200 off! Screaming deal if you ask me. I'd buy one if they were selling my size  .

http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?c...ection=0&page=1

Wow, those are some sweet prices! :o Wish I had the cash right now. <_<

• 1 month later...

I decided to piggyback this post as my question is related. I just got my new Roadcrafter suit and I'm planning to get the Bohn back protector that is made specifically for this suit. My concerns are:

1. Does having the back protector in place make it more difficult to put on? (the ease of use is one of the main reasons I went to the 'Stich over my current JR jacket/cortech pants combo and I'd hate to impede that too much)

2. How secure does the back protector attach to the suit. (unlike leathers, the 'Stich sits sorta loose, and I wonder if the back protector "floats" around a bit...)

Does anybody have here currently have this set-up that can comment?

Thanks

I have this setup on my Roadcrafter Suit. The Bohn armor attaches very securely with 4 velcro attachment points so it does not "float" within the suit. There are two minor items that may or may not be an issue (depending on the individual preference). First, is what to do with the Waist Belt that comes with the Bohn Armor. I just tuck mine between the Bohn Armor and the suit. You may choose to buckle up in front, but that will add an extra step in getting in and out of the suit. Second, is that the Bohn Armor, although flexible, tend to stay upright so it will tend to pull the upper back portion of the suit away from your back. Doesn't bother me when I'm riding since I'm too busy with the road to pay much attention to what my suit looks like, but it does feel a bit "odd" when off the bike. :beer:

• 4 months later...

I see a lot of replies about electric vests. What brands are you folks wearing and some pro's and con's. I am looking into one myslef.

Thanks,

L2R

Guest JIMBOLAYA

I have a 1 piece that I have had for about 5 years.

It's the best riding gear. I have the back pad.

It velco's into the suit. It doesn't slow me down when I put it on.

I like the back pad, because I never have to think about it... it's always there.

The only part that slow's me down is my right boot getting in the right leg hole (5 seconds).

For california winters, I ride with a light fleece or electric vest.

My only complaint is that the electric vest wires have to come out the pocket and are a little shorter than I would like. I bought the standard size (no oversizing). It is too snug for an electric vest (widder) and another top layer.

For summer, I wish it had more vents. But I can always ride in shorts, a t shirt, and the suit and I'm really comfortable.

I have never had a need for the ellipse.

I'm 5'9", 190 lbs. Ride 1999 vfr800.

-JIm

Archived