Just saying Hi

Hi all,

I've been looking for the right 5th gen for several years now and finally came across it this last week, a 2000 in yellow with 7k miles, yes, 7k...she needs more love. Already the proud owner of a trusty ST1100 for long hauls, and comfy cruises. My first impression is that the VFR is like a controllable rocket. What is it someone said, if the ST1100 and the VFR were women, you'd marry the ST, and date the VFR...I didn't say it, I'm just reporting what I read 😉 Also, I've been the custodian for eight motorcycles to date, and never thought I'd own a yellow until I saw a 2000 VFR. I do pretty much all my own maintenance and repairs, so I may be asking a few questions. Even though this bike has no milage, I'll spend this weekend changing the oil, brake fluid, flushing the coolant and doing the chain because you never know when they were last done - clean slate.

Happy to finally be in the club.

906005184_20240608_185424_5076466_resized.jpg

• Like 6

• Member Contributer

Looks sharp, from a brutha from a different mutha. 🙂

20220507_110855sm.thumb.jpg.549e872c0c9a842db9d3d035e6511ca2.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bmart said:

Looks sharp, from a brutha from a different mutha. 🙂

...definitely familiar! I'm debating a top case. I have full luggage on my ST1100, so thinking about keeping this guy as clean as possible. The only issue being the commute to the office and carrying a laptop 🤔 1st world problem for sure. 

Here's my hauler. Can go about 300 miles on one tank

20230705_165041_resized.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Cool bikes! I'm also partial to an ST, I had a 1990 1100 for 40,000km and now have a well-used 2004 1300 to go with my yellow VFR.

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Wow, even less mileage than mine, there can't be many more left out there.

Welcome :beer:

Although mine hadn't been ridden for several years, I went over her with a fine tooth comb; brakes, suspension, full engine service, new fluids and tyres and some other stuff. If you want to read about it, link is in my sig below.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

7 hours ago, Skids said:

Wow, even less mileage than mine, there can't be many more left out there.

Welcome :beer:

Although mine hadn't been ridden for several years, I went over her with a fine tooth comb; brakes, suspension, full engine service, new fluids and tyres and some other stuff. If you want to read about it, link is in my sig below.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks for the info! I heard the linked brakes can be "fun" to bleed, but I haven't looked at them yet. I do have the Service Manual. As far as the brakes, I noticed that these are quite a bit more grabby than any other bikes I've owned. Not necessarily a complaint, just something to get used to I guess. I've read that people have de-linked them, but I'll see how they play out.

• Member Contributer

Welcome!

PXL_20230922_182841213.thumb.jpg.04ca7f6ebd4b21e1a4c998f6b55a7c57.jpg

(that stupid windscreen on the ST has now been cut down to something below Low Bridge Warning height)

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, JimCMA said:

Thanks for the info! I heard the linked brakes can be "fun" to bleed, but I haven't looked at them yet. I do have the Service Manual. As far as the brakes, I noticed that these are quite a bit more grabby than any other bikes I've owned. Not necessarily a complaint, just something to get used to I guess. I've read that people have de-linked them, but I'll see how they play out.

Grabby might suggest some tlc is required. I stripped the calipers, new rubbers, fluid etc and fitted stainless hoses. Brakes are excellent now.