Idle issues after coolant flush

Hi!

I did a coolant flush on my 5th gen today, but run into some issues. Draining went fine, but I wanted to do a proper clean, so I poured in an mild mix of distilled water and white vinegar. When I went to start the bike, I noticed the idle creep up from about the normal cold start idle of 2000 rpm to 3500 rpm over about half a minutes time. It would stay at that rpm for a minute or so until the engine temp got about 90 C after which rpm would increase to about 4000 rpm. Rpms would also fluctuate a bit, and the water would come out in waved from the filler hole. Eventually, the overflow through the filler hole would be too violent, so I shut the bike off. See linked video I made (this was my second attempt which I did purely to document, and I forgot to bring back the rag and funnel I had used on my first flush. The result was a mess as the coolant was shooting out even more this time).

Is this the infamous fast idle WAX unit messing it up for me?

The bike has been standing in the garage unused since October, and this was my first time starting it up this season. It was running fine without any issues before. 

Sincerely thanks for any helpful responses!

• Member Contributer

Not sure about your idle issues, but using vinegar on metals can make them rust after. Why not just use a proper coolant system cleaner? I've been using Prestone for a few years with superb luck in the bikes and cars. It comes in a few sizes and it is dirt cheap. No matter what you use, be sure to thoroughly flush it out before refilling with the proper coolant/H2O ratio.  

https://prestone.com/product/prestone-total-cooling-system-cleaner/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Total-Cooling-System-Cleaner-22-oz/35764365

If it a 2001 with o2 sensor it has a wax unit. 

Also, mice might have made dinner of your hoses and thus created an air leak on your throttle body.

The wax unit regulates cold start idle based on coolant temp so a blockage or air will make it behave weird.

God helg og lykke til.

• Member Contributer

It’s boiling, that’s what happens when you boil water 

I flushed my 2001 system with distilled water and vinegar and never had that issue, so could be an issue with your wax idle unit.

When I did it, the temps just rose faster, because there was no coolant in the system, but didn't increase the idle rpm's.

• Member Contributer

Assuming you had No fast idle issue Prior to your coolant flush, then it sounds to me like an air lock situation, adding to poor coolant circulation to the wax unit.

Running the bike to high temps without the radiatior cap on will cause the volcanic eruption you had and especially if there is air trapped.

Did you follow the fill and burping process in the Service Manual?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

If the wax unit is not receiving coolant then it will keep the starter valves open more than you want when the rest of the engine is hot and give the excessive idle. Either an air lock or possibly the "cleaning" process has moved some crud in the small water hose and caused a blockage. My view is that a blockage is the most likely cause of a "wax unit failure" rather than any mechanical fault with the unit itself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2