Twin headlight possibility?

On my 4th gen I'd like to have 2 headlights instead of one. Is this an easy modification to carry out and would the electrics handle it also having 2 bulbs on the 1 line?

Thank you for any help here

Hmmm that sounds strange. I thought they were all twin headlights! Mine certainly is, but then mine is a Europe or UK spec bike. 

Mind you, unless I have it on full beam it's pretty terrible. Very dull and dim. Like myself. 

• Member Contributer

Looking at the 1993 onwards 3rd gen wiring diagram, the Hi and Lo Beam relays are supplying BOTH bulbs at a time Not just one!

Are you sure you don't have a blown globe?

Screenshot_20240229-094614_Gallery.jpg

Not all have twin low beams as shown in the schematic below of the 4th gen for a couple of markets (most of europe)

VFR750-F-F-SW-H-ED-G.png

@weerab: The conversion can be as simple as adding a third prong to the right headlight connector splicing into the left connector. But make sure the current low beam is switched using a relay and not directly from the headlight switch (as shown in the above schematic).

• Like 1

Thank you for these replies. I will get the bulb out tonight and have a look. My last bike was a 2002 Yamaha Fazer and it only had 1 headlight bulb and had a conversion kit fitted. I'm useless when it comes to electrics but I'll definitely check the bulb.

Where would I find a relay for headlights it it were to have one.

@fabio222mines UK spec too buddy

6 hours ago, weerab said:

Thank you for these replies. I will get the bulb out tonight and have a look. My last bike was a 2002 Yamaha Fazer and it only had 1 headlight bulb and had a conversion kit fitted. I'm useless when it comes to electrics but I'll definitely check the bulb.

Where would I find a relay for headlights it it were to have one.

@fabio222mines UK spec too buddy

On mine there are two relays under the nose cone (behind the dashboard really). One for each head light. I don't think they're fed directly from the switch in either case. 

In the attached pic you'll see a rubber cover which isn't holding anything. I think one relay is held in here and another identical one on the other side.

I'd an issue once before where the headlights just completely failed on me after exiting a motorway toll booth just as I got into darkness and hit full beams. Scary as fuck when you're tipping 120kph. Never happened again and could never find the reason why it happened but this pic was taken during my "investigation". 

IMG_20151101_111205.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

There were a lot of "grey imports" into the UK in the mid-late 1990s, and at the time, most European models only illuminated one of the headlights.  So, unless you check your frame number, you may never know for sure if yours was grey imported into the UK where it was sold as "new".  Or, you might just have a blown bulb!

But if yours was a grey import, the grey importer would probably have fitted a UK-spec headlamp unit (to get the dip right), but may not have bothered to change the wiring to allow both bulbs to be used.  Bikes which were factory-designed to have only one lamp illuminated on dip/low beam often lacked a lo-beam relay, as V4 Rosso mentioned.  So if you do convert to use both bulbs, you should add a lo-beam relay.  Otherwise, you WILL ruin your headlight switch, eventually.  

Honda 400cc grey imports had similar wiring issues, not from having only 1x 55w/60 H4, but from having 2x 35w/60 H4s.  People used to throw in regular H4s, not realising that these bikes only had relays on the hi-beam side.  Many fried headlight switches ensued... 

Ciao,

JZH

• Like 2

I'm glad to announce it was a blown bulb and no adjustments to h4 bulbs required 😁

Thank you to everyone that commented. You're awesome

20240303_144157.jpg

• Like 1