2015 Heated Grips

So i took delivery of the new bike yesterday and im over the moon. Such a lovely machine. I obviously had to go for a wee spin and since it was about 2 deg yesterday i was planning on sticking the heated grips on but to my suprise there were none! I thought the 8th gen came with these as standard?

Not a major issue as i can fit some aftermarket ones.

Anyway, couple of pics taken after delivery.

20240206_110945.jpg

20240206_110953.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Very strange that the Heated Grips which should be there are missing!! I've heard that running them at level 5 for long periods have caused the grip rubber to degrade in some instances.

Noticed there's lots of aftermaket changes and additions. Curious as to why the front disc rotors are not OEM?

- Did you get the separate pillion seat and handles?

- Two keys? Especially if your bike has the H.I.S.S system.

- Tool kit under the seat?

- Owners manual?

- Were you supplied with the OEM Screen and Exhaust?

- Looks like the seat is set to the high position, check that the two seat height raising collars have been installed.

Unless you have records that the Brake and Clutch fluid have been replaced recently then replace and flush the fluid, an easy job on an 8gen. Coolant, if no replacement record should be done as well.

Enjoy the 8gen.

I had no idea the discs weren't OEM.

I got the bike with the rear seat and rails, full service history, and all documents / books but not the stock exhaust, screen or levers. Will need to go check for the tool kit and seat height adjustment

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, RockGod said:

I got the bike with the rear seat and rails, full service history, and all documents / books but not the stock exhaust, screen or levers. Will need to go check for the tool kit and seat height adjustment

If you purchased from a dealer perhaps they could contact the previous owner, the original items are probably of no use to him.

The disc rotors look like the EBC brand. Do a Google search, you'll see.

Once again, if the bike has the H.I.S.S system its important you have two keys as they have an embedded Transponder chip that comunicates with the ECM, if the correct code is not read at Ignition Switch ON = No Engine Start. If you loose the one remaning key, or it's Transponder Chip fails, you could be in for an expensive and inconvenient situation. If you ONLY have the one key then get a new Transponder Key Blank cut and then programme it to your ECM. The Service Manual (VFR800F/VFR800X) Downloadable from the forum explains this, or take the bike to a good Honda dealership and they can do the process for you, for a fee of course!!

• Member Contributer

The controller for the heated grips is on the left side next to the grip, your grips look OEM 

Been out to the garage and had a good nosey about. As grum said the discs are indeed ebc. I have the tool kit under the seat and also found an oxford charger connection hooked up to the battery. My seat was set on the low brackets at the rear, but in the high position at the front. My grips are renthal so they heated grips have been removed so first job is going to be getting some of them fitted!

Great points by GRUM. Too bad you do not have the OEM screen and exhaust.

May I add that the VFR logo on the upper portion of the fairing is not OEM as well.

Can't tell but DB killer on sc project slipon may have been removed.

Enjoy the new bike.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, RockGod said:

My seat was set on the low brackets at the rear, but in the high position at the front

That's why I mentioned it. I've never used the high position but could see yours doesn't seem to look right.

Refer to you Owners Booklet regarding the seat height and as mentioned make sure the height setting collars are fitted when using the High position.

If the collars are not fitted and the front is located in the high stay you could be stressing the seat structure.

20210807_104938.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 2/7/2024 at 10:18 PM, RockGod said:

Another not so obvious change is the rear sprocket it's non OEM!

8gen standard sprockets are 16/43. You would also think with the mileage your bike has done it would probably still have the original chain, and therefore the original sprocket!

I wonder if the previous owner wanted to change the final drive ratio. Check if the rear is a 43 tooth sprocket?

AND it keeps getting weirder!! Your rear Brake Rotor is also non OEM. Why all the brake Rotor changes on such a low mileage bike?

Still amazed that it appears all the heated grip hardware has been removed, one of the excellent additions to the 8gen.

Bit of a shame, there is a piece of broken missing fairing just below the right side pillion grab handle cover! And is that paint missing, just aft of the grab handle cover?

Check the rear cowl it doesn't seem to be sitting properly, sits high, and is mostly noticeable at the rear of the cowl..

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Tough crowd...

Aftermarket heated grips are inexpensive.

Bike looks great, ride it and enjoy!

No Sir, wasn't being "tough" at all, just wanted to highlight things he may not be aware of, the OP appears to be not too familiar with the bike, hopefully it might help him to locate the OEM items from the PO, or maybe certain items might be rectified under some form of Warranty arrangement from the dealership, if it was purchased from a dealership.

Never heard of the heated grips being removed from an 8gen and especially from a bike with relatively low mileage.

There are certainly many mods on the bike that seem a little strange to me.

And Yes hopefully the bike will be a great ride for the OP.

Cheers.

• Like 1

In fairness i didnt take anything said badly. Grum is correct that i dont know much about these bikes so good to have things pointed out. I have noticed a few other things myself too but its a great bike. Love riding her so thats all that matter 😁

• Like 4