Retract brake caliper piston

LiamT

• Member Contributer

The best way is to just loosen the bleed nipple and allow fluid to push out as the piston is pushed home. That avoids pushing any manky fluid back up the line to the master. Better still, clean around the piston first (an old shoelace dipped in brake fluid works well) so you don't jam more crud under the seal. Finish the job by pumping lots of nice fresh fluid through the system and bleeding any air. There are two nipples on each calliper, one for the centre piston, the other for the outer pistons in each. There is a specific bleeding sequence for the linked brakes, and the centre front pistons are driven from the rear master. 

• Thanks 4

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, Terry said:

(an old shoelace works well)

A shoelace!!!   Fuckin' good idea.   I'll take that as my Xmas gift.   

I also pump the piston out a tad to better expose the potential crud ring 

• Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
On 12/27/2023 at 2:32 PM, LiamT said:

I am changing the brake pads on a 1998 VFR800. How can I get the pistons to retract easily? Can I do without a special tool. Any help appreciated

If the brake system is working properly, you should be able to push them with your fingers. Monitor the others while doing it! Note that if you're master is high, you'll want to either suck some fluid out, or as I prefer, crack the nipple on the caliper and run a hose to get it out from there. I would refrain from pushing crap fluid and contaminants back through the system. 

As has been mentioned, clean those pistons while you're in there. It is nearly always the cause of crap feeling brakes. I use simple green and a toothbrush then rinse with water. That's from an world class mechanic's advice to me!