1999 VFR800 - Kaoko throttle lock

Belgirb

Greetings. I've searched, but can't find answer.

After tons of research, I'm wanting to purchase a Kaoko throttle lock for my bike. However, I cannot find compatibility. Do any of you know that one will fit? Better yet... does anyone have one on their bike. Help is much appreciated. Thank you! Jim

• Member Contributer

Hi Jim.

Kaoko website lists a HND31S for a 1999 VFR800.

Have had one fitted to my 2014 for a number of years. I think it's discrete, neat and works well, it's very handy on long straight roads and highways. 

• Member Contributer

Looked at Kaoko a couple of years ago and was actually talked out if it by someone who had used one at one of their dealers. I haven't tried it and am not knocking it at all, I still think it looks slick, but as an option I bought one of these instead, 

https://www.atlasthrottlelock.com . I originally had it on my RZ350, which gives me buzzy hands, but I swapped it onto the VFR (in a couple of minutes) and it works equally well, to the point I will buy another so each bike has one.

9 minutes ago, Dangeruss said:

Looked at Kaoko a couple of years ago and was actually talked out if it by someone who had used one at one of their dealers. I haven't tried it and am not knocking it at all, I still think it looks slick, but as an option I bought one of these instead, 

https://www.atlasthrottlelock.com . I originally had it on my RZ350, which gives me buzzy hands, but I swapped it onto the VFR (in a couple of minutes) and it works equally well, to the point I will buy another so each bike has one.

I looked at that style, but read mixed reviews about the friction pads slipping.  I have a Go Cruise 2 lock.  It looks a little goofy, but it's cheap and easy to operate.  You can use your thumb or index finger to push it down.  It also can be removed from the bike in seconds.

• Member Contributer

I also have one on my 2014. They are unobtrusive. Like all throttle locks, they will not retain a set speed, unless you are on a dead straight, flat road. I just use mine occasionally, to stretch my right hand on big km days.

• Member Contributer
On 7/19/2023 at 7:27 AM, Dangeruss said:

There can be an issue with the Atlas on Gen 8s. There has to be a minimum gap (2.5mm?) between the switch housing and the throttle grip. I discovered this when trying to install one. When I contacted the Atlas company they stated that it is a known issue. Some, but not all, Gen 8s do not have enough of a gap. Too bad in my case as it looked well made as it should do for the price.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DanLegg said:

There can be an issue with the Atlas on Gen 8s. There has to be a minimum gap (2.5mm?) between the switch housing and the throttle grip. I discovered this when trying to install one. When I contacted the Atlas company they stated that it is a known issue. Some, but not all, Gen 8s do not have enough of a gap. Too bad in my case as it looked well made as it should do for the price.

Thank you for adding that clarification, I should have noted that mine was on a 5th gen and worked equally well on both my bikes. This thread has me wanting to revisit the Kaoko. 🤔

• Member Contributer
On 7/19/2023 at 7:34 AM, vfrgiving said:

I have a Go Cruise 2 lock.  It looks a little goofy, but it's cheap and easy to operate.

I'll second the Go Cruise recommendation - though I disagree about them looking goofy. I think they do a better job than any of the Atlas-style locks.

Btw, during nearly 20 years on my 3rd & 5th gen VFRs I never felt any need for a lock. Even my VTR1000Fs were comfy enough. But my '09 VTec regularly put my right hand to sleep. No idea what Honda did to make it so buzzy in the 'bars.