Seat cowl and pillion seat

Hi 

Forgive  me for sounding stupid lol

I’m in the process of buying the 8th gen vfr800 2018 model….

Seat cowl is fitted and dealer has said the pillion seat is also included what I’d like to know is can I put the cowl back on while pillion seat fitted ? 
  Cheers 

6 hours ago, Whirrygears said:

The cowl sits over the top of the pillion seat, it’s there for aesthetic purposes. 
 So yes it fits over the pillion seat….but only when you aren’t carrying a passenger 😂

Thanks mate 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Whirrygears said:

The cowl sits over the top of the pillion seat, it’s there for aesthetic purposes. 
 So yes it fits over the pillion seat….but only when you aren’t carrying a passenger 😂

No no you're thinking of a 6gen. As VifferJ states it's one or the other, the cowl doesn't fit over the top of the pillion seat on a 8gen.

• Member Contributer
On 7/21/2023 at 7:11 PM, Whirrygears said:

WRONG...That is exactly how you'd describe the 6gen single seat. But can confuse someone wanting to know how the 8gen two piece seat is. The cowl unlike the 6gen does Not "sit over the top of the pillion seat". On the 8gen when the pillion seat is not fitted the cowl most certainly is Not "there for aesthetic purposes".

Sure hope Hondamike hasn't been completely confused!

To answer his question - "can I put the cowl back on while pillion seat fitted.?" -  The clear answer is No.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an eighth gen and have just bought the official Honda seat cowl - I can 100% confirm you cannot fit the cowl over the pillion seat - you have to remove the pillion seat to fit the cowl as the cowl clicks in place of the seat on the same mounts. If the bike comes with both, one of them will be stuffed down the front of your jacket for the ride home, and it needs to be a big jacket 🙂

• 1 month later...

Just bought a 2014 Interceptor.  Does not have the seat cowl and I'm struggling to find one.   My local Honda shop sezz the part # is 77283-MJM-D00ZA for the Pearl Glare White (NHB53P).  I've been unable to locate a new one...shock.  However;  I did find one on Ebay but the part # starts with 77281.   I'm a bit confused.  Can someone add clarity to the difference?  

• Member Contributer
42 minutes ago, RickS said:

Just bought a 2014 Interceptor.  Does not have the seat cowl and I'm struggling to find one.   My local Honda shop sezz the part # is 77283-MJM-D00ZA for the Pearl Glare White (NHB53P).  I've been unable to locate a new one...shock.  However;  I did find one on Ebay but the part # starts with 77281.   I'm a bit confused.  Can someone add clarity to the difference?  

Hi Rick.

I have a Red 2014 and have confirmed the Part No. Stamped on the actual cowl is 77281-MJM-D000. However its replacement Part No. is the 77283-MJM-D00ZC and the Pearl White being the D00ZA.

While Partzilla are stating the starting numbers of 77283............ for both White or Red for the 2014 8gen. I can only suggest that as long as its the Pearl White that either a starting number of 77281 Or 77283 won't matter, no guarantee! 

Wow!!!  Thank you for the really quick reply!!  One last question for you if you have a moment.   I had a '99 model VFR that I bought new.  It came with the seat cowl and I really thought it would fit over the seat.  Maybe not...that was a long time ago.  The one I found on Ebay, the seller replied to a question I had and added "....It will just replace the seat & clip on".   Is that correct and will I need extra hardware to secure it?    Again,  thank you very much for the quick reply.   I'm enjoying getting back into riding again after taking a 23 year break!   Retirement (so far) is a wonderful thing.   Rick

• Member Contributer

Hi Rick and welcome back to biking. The VFR800 8 Gen is a fantastic machine. The cowl replaces the pillion seat and uses the same fixings so no more hardware required.

The key releases the cowl just the same as it does so for the pillion seat

Thank you so much.  My issue now is getting the cowl out of the UK.  The seller sezz she doesn't ship to the USA.  Was looking at "forward2me" as a way to get 'round it.  Will figure it out. Again,  thanks again!   R

I called Partzilla before ordering it there and they said "It will be back ordered with no definitive date".   I went ahead and ordered it thinking it could be a couple of months.  Recv'd one email that said "Estimated delivery will be Oct 21".   A few days later, got another email that said "No date available".    Started working the Ebay angle.  Eventually, the seller reactivated the add that supported shipping to the States.   Called Partzilla back and told them I'd like to cancel the order.  The young lady said "No problem.  Glad you found one".    Will post back how this all turns out.  Thanks again for your help!!  Rick

• Member Contributer

All websites post delivery times like that. I've been trying to order tires for a week from places who list them as "in stock" only to have orders cancelled because no one has stock. They all shop from the same place that has...no stock. Now they're saying end of the month for new stock. At least I'll get current date codes! 🙂