Is a gen6 rear shock plug n play for a gen8, or are they different size or mounting points?

VifferJ

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

The Honda oem rear shocks are different Honda part #'s as I'd expect, as is the swingarm a different Honda part #, and from the fiches it doesn't provide size etc.

More specifically I'm looking at aftermarket rear shock options and because the gen8 was only provided in the USA for 2 years (2014 & 2015) there are more aftermarket options for gen6 than gen8. I know many parts are the same between the gen6 and gen8 so am hopeful they would work but thought maybe someone here has crossed this bridge before and could confirm it?

• Member Contributer

@VifferJ you're in luck, yes the sixth gen and eighth gen shocks are interchangeable.  And more importantly, yes, aftermarket options will work for both.

I have a Hyperpro three way reservoir shock and like it a lot.  They sell it in their catalog for the 8th gen on the same part number. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

@VifferJ you're in luck, yes the sixth gen and eighth gen shocks are interchangeable.  And more importantly, yes, aftermarket options will work for both.

I have a Hyperpro three way reservoir shock and like it a lot.  They sell it in their catalog for the 8th gen on the same part number. 

Awesome! Thanks so much for confirming, I had found an Ohlins for a gen6 for only $600 after sale discount, I was on the fence about buying it or not because I wasn't 100% sure it would fit, seeing your reply this morning I just went ahead and bought it! 🙂

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334737697587#readMoreDesc

ohlins1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Got the Ohlins rear shock installed and also had the front forks serviced, a rare dry day today in the PNW I got out for a good rip, bike feels great! 

thumbnail_IMG_3386.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's an interesting location for the remote preload. It looks like the swingarm assembly or chain guard would hit it.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, bmart said:

That's an interesting location for the remote preload. It looks like the swingarm assembly or chain guard would hit it.

That's the location for the oem remote preload, I was glad that it fit there in the same spot and won't interfere with the oem side cases. The 2 holes on that bracket didn't line up so only has 1 screw with loctite but seems solid. 

Here's an older pic showing the oem remote preload there, I think it's just the angle on the pic, from the rear there is plenty of room to clear.

IMG_6159_zpsbqvqk5ac.jpg

Archived