Splitting the carbs (!)

• Member Contributer

Rats. Smelled gas in the garage, small spot under the bike. Pulled the plastics, fired it up and saw gas squirting out of where the fuel tube goes into the right front carb. Anybody got any advice for splitting the the carbs off the plenum? Looks like I can leave one side on adjust pull two of them. Any hints welcome.

• Member Contributer

I have split the carbs a couple of times and the main problem with splitting them is you have to synchronize the carbs afterward.  

Reaching the sync screws after everything is back together can be pain in the a**, so I get them sync'd as close as possible on the bench

To sync the carbs on the bench, I get the smallest drill I have ( usually 1/16 in) and use the shank of the drill as a gauge,

I use the throttle stop to set the reference carb to the drill shank,

Then sync the other carbs to reference using the shank of the drill as a gauge.

Once the carbs are back on the bike they are very close to being in sync and take very little time to finish.

Also if you are going to the trouble of spitting the carbs I would replace all of the Orings and fuel lines between the carbs.

- Gordon

• Member Contributer

Thanks Gordon, I've sync'd 'em on the bike several times with a Morgan Carbtune-great piece of gear. I will definitely do the bench sync before they go back on. So how brittle were your fuel tubes? I found some stainless replacements that they are very ($) proud of. Do you have any recommendations for a parts source? It's 60+ degrees here this week and it kills me not to be able to ride.

- Tim

• Member Contributer

The plastic tubes on my '96 did not feel brittle but the two rubber hoses were very hard and I replaced them when along with the Orings on all three plastic Tees. I looked at a local hardware store that has a good selection of Metric Orings, but none of them were the right size. I sourced my parts from Partzilla but the two short rubber hoses are listed as obsolete. After trying some generic fuel line, bought the rubber hoses for a 2003 Magna (VF750C2).  Looked the same, but had a different part number.

-Gordon

• 1 month later...

Archived