Bay Area Roll Call Ride 2016

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

Alright misfits. Time for another day ride, weather permitting, Saturday, March 12, 2016. I propose a tour up the Pacific Coast Highway from Sausalito to Fort Bragg for lunch, then backtrack down to CA128 and over to Napa/Vallejo. Last time Bayarearider and I took this route, we saw many awe-inspiring sights.

As usual, the route is subject to last minute detours and hijacks; the attached map at least gives us a tour to deviate from.

We meet at Starbucks, 190 Donahue Street, Sausalito, CA 94965 Saturday, March 12, 2016

Kickstands up at 8:00 AM

If the weather holds up like it did in most of February, we should be in for a good ride. Hope you can make it. Jeff J.

https://goo.gl/maps/tUV95MDkuVQ2

post-20466-0-97331000-1456900758.jpg

post-20466-0-26805600-1456900869.jpg

post-20466-0-91022300-1456900894.jpg

Oh dear lord, time for this already?

I have a non-functional 6th gen and a slightly functional 5th gen. Maybe I can melt them down and make one useful bike?

Assuming good weather count me in.

• Member Contributer

Bayarearider suggested heading west on 128 in the AM, in order to avoid afternoon traffic. I am up for that idea,,, its all the same to me. If the group prefers, we could meet at the Starbucks, 1600 N Texas St. Fairfield, like we did last year, and ride the proposed route in the opposite direction. Any takers?

• Member Contributer

I agree with Greg why not just meet in Winters then head west on 128?

Bones Roadhouse is in Gualala jussssayin.

Wanna meet here? Taco Bell 703 Matsumoto Lane, Winters, CA 95694 That way Crazybro can get his fix wit a big ass breakfast burrito (extra gas for the trip). Hope he still wants to ride with us.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like fun, I'm in.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's new bikes. Oh, that's right, it's mostly the same bikes with new owners...

Any of you ever ride out or back down 175 out the Clear lake area? I was down there last year in an auto, actually coming back from laguna seca, I intend to go all 101 home but found this road somewhat by mistake for a short cut route to I5, then Wow.. gota get back down in the area on the viffer.

• Member Contributer

OK, Well, here are a couple of options, assuming we decide to start in Winters. What do you think?

Option 1, Winters to Winters: https://goo.gl/maps/ucsdhtnij392

Option 2, Winters to Mill Valley: https://goo.gl/maps/VqmKrWCjHsS2

Option 2 gives us plenty of flexibility. If conditions are too crappy on Hwy 1, we can hit it inland on 128, or on one of the local East-West roads. Someone with local road knowledge might like to chime in. Thanks for the suggestion, RFVR. Care to join us?

Any of you ever ride out or back down 175 out the Clear lake area?

I hit it a couple times a year. Its major problem is that [unless it's been re-done since last summer] the pavement on the west side is garbage. Kind of a weird gravel/chipseal thing.

253 (Ukiah to Boonville) is much better, IMO.

Weather outlook not looking positive BTW. :mad:

• Member Contributer

Any of you ever ride out or back down 175 out the Clear lake area?

I hit it a couple times a year. Its major problem is that [unless it's been re-done since last summer] the pavement on the west side is garbage. Kind of a weird gravel/chipseal thing.

253 (Ukiah to Boonville) is much better, IMO.

Weather outlook not looking positive BTW. :mad:

I rode 175 for the first time last month, leaving 29 at Middletown and ending up at Hopland and 101. It's a great road for the most part. But the first section goes through the Valley Fire area, pretty devastating, and there are still delays as they clean up.

And the section heading west out of Lakeport is scenic (see photo) but as Brian pointed out the pavement still sucks going up, gravel everywhere. The final run down to Hopland is short but fun.

Agree, next Sat. may be a washout.

post-3265-0-04234000-1457225182.jpg

• Member Contributer

won't be joining you guys Saturday. I crashed my Y2K Sunday afternoon. Snapped off the right footpeg and rashed up the right side, totaled my helmet and fractured my right shoulder blade. 880 southbound between Winton and 92. I'm lucky I wasn't run over by some inattentive driver on a cell phone. Needless to say I'm pretty sore right now. Bike came thru the crash better than expected. Later, Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

Pretty sketchy road to go down on! Hope you you heal quickly Jeff. And the bike too, of course.

Damn Jeff, mega bummer. Heal up man, wanna see you back on the road soon.

By the way, given the weather forecast it's probably safe to assume this ride will be rescheduled?

Oh ouch..man dude whoa, glad to hear/see you're on the better side of this.. Thanks for the invite earlier, I'd love to join in, but I'm to far away for a quick outting, maybe some time this year when the weather can be counted on. When we did 175 we where in an Audi, talk about a blast heading east, didn't see anything that made me suspicious about road conditions but thats a car for ya, that and had my eyes where I has heading. Best of Jeff in the healing.

• Member Contributer

Thanks to all for the well wishes, the PMs, and the text messages. Unfortunately, my cell phone scattered during the slide, and I've lost all my contact info. If you call or text, I probably won't know who you are unless you identify yourself.

Anyway, the bike is looking better than I feel right now, and the damage doesn't look like its beyond my hillbilly fairing repair skills. Well, maybe after repair I'll have the parts professionally painted (not a scratch on the tank, can you believe it?) May as well do the forks and steering head bearing while I'm at it. Bottom line, I fully expect the bike to come out of this ordeal in better condition than it was before.

That said, it probably won't be back on the road anytime soon. another trip overseas planned with my wife. Thanks again, all. Ride Safe. Jeff J.

I guess this now becomes the "Heal Up Jeff" Memorial Ride? Haha

As always I'm happy to take over as your fearless/brainless/soulless leader, with one caveat: due to various commitments, my next available weekend date is May 7th.

Lots of advanced notice, but pretty late in the year for our first ride. Thoughts?

I'm available that weekend. You thinking over nighter or day ride?

I'm up for setting something up in April as well if other people are available earlier and don't want to wait for Brian and his busy schedule. :)

• Member Contributer

May 7th works, and I'm up for something in April.

If this is really a memorial ride a logo may be required. Bumblebee?

Archived