Power Commander Install And Bazzaz Zbomb

nr0974

This bike has some of the most difficult fairings to remove of any bike Ive owned. It like peeling back layers of a onion. But everything got installed properly. One of the most difficult processes was installing the O2 sensor block off. Sometimes Honda make me wonder if they ever think of the end user.

post-19967-0-05929100-1430051856.jpg

post-19967-0-89095600-1430051950.jpg

post-19967-0-16922100-1430051967.jpg

post-19967-0-31302800-1430051977.jpg

post-19967-0-70167800-1430051991.jpg

post-19967-0-55303800-1430052006.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sometimes Honda make me wonder if they ever think of the end user.

I've asked myself that same question about Hondas with both 2 as well as 4 wheels. I love 'em all, but sometimes servicing them can be more of a headache than it seems it should be.

I've had the fairings off 2 times now (3 if you count having to remove one side to re-align something I missed) and while this is my first bike with a fairing (that I've stripped apart), I think they come apart pretty easily once you understand how it all fits together.

I've had the fairings off 2 times now (3 if you count having to remove one side to re-align something I missed) and while this is my first bike with a fairing (that I've stripped apart), I think they come apart pretty easily once you understand how it all fits together.

Since this is your first bike with fairings it's fair to say you don't have reference point. All be it true it's not rocket science but in comparison to previous bikes these are difficult. I believe part of the difficulty has to do with the fact that all fasteners are hidden. Even on my previous VFR they were visible, which meant the fairing came of straight back. The fact that this has to be aligned and set in motion towards the back of the bike is kinda of a pain in the ass. All this to make it more ecstatically pleasing with no visible fasteners. Either way she's all back together and cruising the Streets of Chiraq.

11188270_1075488142478730_54898493657411

• Member Contributer

i can take the fairing on and off in my sleep by now

Can you do mine tomorrow night then? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I have some electrics to install - I have the quartet harness and created 2 connectors that attach to it for my usb charger and a battery voltage meter. Haven't braved the fairing removal yet.

Ishark - would love to see another video. It will give me the push I need to do it this weekend.

-Dan

That video above is the one I used. I only have one suggestion that I wish I had the first time I pulled everything apart.

Behind the front wheel just below the radiator, there is a black plastic piece. I would remove this FIRST (or as soon as you can... and probably after you remove the black plastic pieces you remove to change your oil). In the video above, I think this plastic piece is left in place. On each side of the plastic piece, there is a snap feature that can be a little awkward to remove if you leave this part in place. The first time I took the bike apart, I was standing there awkwardly holding the side fairing trying to figure out how to unsnap these two pieces... If this is the first part you remove and the last you put back on, then I found things go much smoother.

Here is a terrible picture, but if you look in the upper corners, hopefully you can make out the snap feature I am talking about (on your bike)...

122-1108-02-ocox-racingroup-radiator-gua

I fitted a Power Commander 5 to my VFR 1200 FD a couple of days ago, no problem removing the fairings as I've done it a number of times after watching the You Tube video the first time. No problem fitting the PCV until it came to the 02 optimizers, took me ages plus skinned knuckles to fit them despite taking the radiator bolts out and tilting it forward to get extra access to them. Once I'd managed to slide them forward off where they're attached to the frame, it's a simple job to put the Dynojet optimizers into the harness and slide them back onto the frame attachment. A couple of rides later and there's been a definite improvement in throttle response, particularly in the lowere rev range. Next job is to decat the exhaust, fit an autotune and ? Remove the pair valve

• 2 weeks later...

i had my Bazzaz ZF-i installed while they were checking my valves....they only charges and extra $100.00

Regarding the ease of removal and re-instillation of the fairing parts necessary to either do major maintenance or in this case install a Power Commander the VFR 1200 is the most complicated I have done and I have owned a lot of bikes. The easiest and best designed for service was my 99 XX.

• 2 weeks later...

Next upgrade on deck

I made this upgrade a couple of summers ago. I really like my Pazzos!

• Member Contributer

Tackling the fairings this weekend - installing the wiring harness for my USB charging plus and my battery voltage meter...

WIll be watching that video a few times. Any other tips for the first timer appreciated. I'm pretty sure I can get the fairings off, it's putting them back that worries me...

-Dan

the fairing is easy once you've done it once...take your time and take note of how it came apart...the large side panels pull (gently) straight forward (not out) to remove...lining it up to get it back on is the trickiest part

Archived