Italian Red And Winning Red - How Close?

joepopp

• Member Contributer

I am looking for a top box and David Silver has one in Winning Red (2005 R258 paint code) I am wondering how close it is to the Italian Red (2002 R157 paint code). If it's not far off I might need to just get the top case in Winning red.

• Member Contributer

Try it. If it isn't a close enough match, repaint it with a $4 can of Krylon satin black. I sprayed mine a few years ago and it is holding up very well. The satin black is easier to achieve an even finish with than a gloss.

9355553248_a5bb7b752d_c.jpg

• Member Contributer

Try it. If it isn't a close enough match, repaint it with a $4 can of Krylon satin black. I sprayed mine a few years ago and it is holding up very well. The satin black is easier to achieve an even finish with than a gloss.

Thanks Conedodger!

I went ahead and ordered the "Winning Red" Topcase from David Silver for $193 shipped! I was going to make an adapter plate and get a Givi but this is a way cheaper solution. Your suggestion is a great one. If I am not happy with the match I'll spray it with satin black. I did get the "Italian Red" panniers from them so they already match. I actually like the black on the topcase as the bike is VERY red! :beer:

They are visibly different. The Winning Red is more 'red' like a true tomato type red, the Italian Red (2005) is a bit more 'orangey' and vibrant.

Thanks superfunkomatic! I will post pictures when I get ot mounted for future reference.

• Member Contributer

For what it's worth, in my Gallery, there are pictures of Winning red hard bags on my Italian red /04.

Thanks Jimmer! If you didn't tell me I probably would not have noticed the difference. I searched for a while looking for pics like yours. Much appreciated!

• Member Contributer

I received the Top case in Winning Red from David Silver (excellent customer service by the way). Here is a comparison in the two colors. The top case in the top of the picture is Winning Red and the pannier below it is Italian Red. The Italian Red is darker and less orange than the Winning. I prefer the Italian. In the picture they look closer in color than to the naked eye, But for the price I'm calling it close enough. The cool thing about the panniers is that they come with an extra cylinder for the top case so I will only need one key for all of the luggage.

winning_Italian.jpg

Yeah, I'd call that color close enough. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you hadn't said something. If for some reason the difference does end up bothering you, I don't recommend painting it. I would use Plastidip instead. If for any reason you decide to sell it, you can just peel the plastidip off. If nothing else, it is can be a paint protector!

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I'd call that color close enough. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you hadn't said something. If for some reason the difference does end up bothering you, I don't recommend painting it. I would use Plastidip instead. If for any reason you decide to sell it, you can just peel the plastidip off. If nothing else, it is can be a paint protector!

Good call marriedman. I'm going to leave it for now. If I end up finding an Italian red one I can sell this one for what I paid for it I am sure. eBay prices are very high for OEM luggage!

• Member Contributer

Looks like all your luggage came from DSS. The US-spec panniers say "interceptor" on the badge instead of "VFR", and also came with molded-in reflectors.

Yes that is correct Sebspeed. They were shipped from the US location in PA.

• Member Contributer

next you want a set of "inside" bags. so much more convenient to carry into your m/hotel than the cases itself; the sides facing the rear wheel will be all dirty most of the time

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75842-bagman-dutchy/?p=909113

Once the color starts to fade, nobody will know but you. Unless all the bags are on your bike at all times, each bag will fade at a different rate and the color will be a little off anyways over time.

• Member Contributer

Looks like all your luggage came from DSS. The US-spec panniers say "interceptor" on the badge instead of "VFR", and also came with molded-in reflectors.

Interesting. Mine came from DSS and have the reflectors and Interceptor badging.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80473-italian-red-and-winning-red-how-close/?p=988556

• Member Contributer

Interesting. Mine came from DSS and have the reflectors and Interceptor badging.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80473-italian-red-and-winning-red-how-close/?p=988556

DSS has both listed on the site. The US bags were out of stock and I actually like the lack of reflectors. I realize not as safe though...

• Member Contributer

Yeah, but you can add reflective tape easily. I prefer the lack of molded reflectors too.

Yes I saw on here some stuff that's black until light hits it. Pretty cool!

Can you post a pic of the top case mounting plate?

I ended up going with the Honda top case and not adapting the Givi. Do you want to see the stock plate?

• Member Contributer

I ended up going with the Honda top case and not adapting the Givi. Do you want to see the stock plate?

When you mentioned adapting, I was wondering what it would take to adapt the Honda case to a Givi rack. I haven't seen the 6g Honda rack up close.

• Member Contributer

When you mentioned adapting, I was wondering what it would take to adapt the Honda case to a Givi rack. I haven't seen the 6g Honda rack up close.

I was going to adapt a Givi V47 to the Honda Bracket as in this thread (post #8):

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75611-6th-gen-top-case-only-suggestions/?hl=%2Bgivi+%2Boem#entry905676

I am not sure how that would be done. The Honda rack seems the sturdiest option.

Here's what the factory set up looks like.

phpMTTAAw.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks, just thinking of adopting the Honda plate to a Givi trunk mount to attach the Honda red bag.

BTW, I've got the Winning red RC51 fender on my Italian red '99. Obviously different color but I've lived with it...

Archived