Throttle Cable Lubrication?

vfr350

• Member Contributer

So I have one of those cable lubricator things but I don't remember it working well, or at all with the top curved metal tube. In your experience what has been the best way to lube up the throttle cable and what did you use? I have a number of spray lubes from Triflow to Graphite spray (but that stuff is messy). Cable have never seen any lube since the factory in 98 so I'm thinking it might need some, no?

• Member Contributer

I'm sure most will disagree, but I find clean and dry cables to be the smoothest. Whenever I buy a new-to me bike I'll go over it head to tail... and cleaning the cables is part of that routine. I'll blast all the gunk out with brake/contact cleaner until it's coming out "clear" t the opposite end, then they're as smooth as can be. In my experience, oil attracts dirt and then dries causing sticky/gummy cables.

• Member Contributer

In this day and age of nylon lined cables, I agree with Daniel Paul. No oil is the way to go.

• Member Contributer

when building bike.. with NEW or used cables. i hang the cable from one end and add 25 drops of

BIKE AID / DRYSLIDE :fing02:

its a graphite lube. wait till you see it dripping then install on the bike.

if you are using the white platinum or stainless steel cables use white lighting lube as to not stain the housing

• Member Contributer

Was hoping not to take off the cables completely. If this was a MTB cable I would agree on the Teflon lining, but these seem like just old skool metal lined. I have a few different MTB chain lubes that dry and do not attach dust, but I don't think they would last that long in this application. But yes I also have a blaster graphite lube that dries, but like i said its messy. Trying to find something that I have that works, rather not have yet another spray can around but I will look at that.

Archived