VFR Won't Turn Over

cb466

• Member Contributer

Hi,

I have a 2002 VFR-ABS. My battery is 18 months old, always on a battery tender and stored in the garage in Central Valley area of CA.

I started it today, moved out of garage, let it run about 5 minutes and shut off for four hours. When I tried to start it, nothing. When I turn the key on I hear kind

of a single click noise from the left side before I try the start button.When I press the start there is no noise at all.

It seems like I usually hear a noise which kind of sounds like a motor running for 3-4 seconds as soon I turn the key on,

but not hearing that now.

Things I have done so far are: Gearbox in nuetral on centerstand with kickstand up, clucth in, kill switch in run position, battery shows 12.4 volts on stand alone meter

the two 30 amp fuses under seat check okay visually and w/meter and no signs of corrosion.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it !

Craig

the noise is your gas pump priming. so after the click, and you hit the starter, does the engine even turn over or does nothing happen? i know you said no noise, but wasnt sure.

quick first thought is did you insure kill switch is on? dont be embarrassed.....done it before :)

• Member Contributer

When you turn the key on and before you do anything else, is the headlight on? If you have the meter connected directly across the battery, does it go to 0 when you turn on the key? If so, then there is a good chance the battery is open circuited or internally shorted with just enough power to activate a relay that you hear clicking.

It only takes mill-amps of current to get a meter reading and they can come through the electrolyte in the battery even if the connection is broken. It happened to me once on a new battery that suffered infant mortality about 2 weeks in.

• Member Contributer

It only takes mill-amps of current to get a meter reading and they can come through the electrolyte in the battery even if the connection is broken. It happened to me once on a new battery that suffered infant mortality about 2 weeks in.

+1

Screwed battery.....get a new one and your problems will be over!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies,

When I press the start button it does not turn over or click, nothing happens except the headlight cuts out.

The meter goes between 11-12 volts when I press the starter button.

The kill switch is in the run position.

When I turn the key on and before I do anything else, the headlight is on and I do not hear the noise from fuel pump priming.

• Member Contributer

2002 huh? Ever had to replace any wiring?

I'd be checking the starter relay fuse. You may find that whole assembly is melted. It's located right next to the battery, under a rubber cover.

I removed my comment about the kill switch - I was too stupid to read that you had looked at that already. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I did find a 30amp fuse under there and was okay, didn't see any kind of melting going on at all.

• Member Contributer

I do not hear the noise from fuel pump priming.

I have no idea of 6thGens, but this stands out.

Checked the fuel pump fuse?

• Member Contributer

:laughing6-hehe:If you listen to a Harley guy i know he would say his doesn't turn over due to "high compression"

• Member Contributer

It's strange that the fuel pump isn't running. Usually even a weak battery has enough juice to run it.

This leads me to fuses.

• Member Contributer

Do you have the ability to jumpstart the bike, or even push start it? If you can get it running with either of these methods but not on its own, I would really suspect the battery.

Mike

Do you have the ability to jumpstart the bike, or even push start it? If you can get it running with either of these methods but not on its own, I would really suspect the battery.

Mike

If you don't hear the fuel pump, than there's no point in trying to jump start anything. You won't have fuel running through the injectors. Isn't this a correct statement?

Check all fuses related and check wiring connections. Just my $0.02.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all of the replies. Just had time this weekend to work on this.

I was definitely not hearing the fuel pump priming. I did try cycling the kill switch previously, but did it again 4 or 5 times today & now it starts no problem.

Have not done anything to battery as far as charging or jump starting and it continues to start without fail.

I guess I should take apart the kill switch and check for corrosion or just replace it?

Thanks Again,

Craig

Archived