ABS Rotors

Presson

Got a problem gents, need some advice. The UK winter roads and salt have taken their toll. ABS rotors are showing surface rusting. The sensors are presumably 'Hall effect', so should 'see' rotation through a layer or 'stuff'. Thinking of de-rusting rotors and painting with a thin layer of heat resistant paint (normally use this on exhaust headers but the rotors are attached to the brake disks so likely to get hot). Any thoughts on assumptions, procedure or ideas? Grateful for your input

• Member Contributer

Rust on the ABS pulser ring is super common. I haven't heard of any performance issues on account of the rust. You can remove it with naval jelly or the like. I have heard of people painting/coating it to prevent further rust. I can't find the link to document that.  

Thanks Guys for the input. Amazingly the main UK Honda supplier quotes £206 sterling for the rear ABS rotor! Import from the US would be around £60.  And of course it's the rear one that's rusted. Prompted by Grum, just looked at the procedure to remove it - oh hell.  Maybe this lockdown has just given me more time to peer at corrosion while the bike is sitting in the garage. I think I'm going to live with it until I need to disassemble the rear hub. After all I can't see the rust while I'm riding it - which hopefully won't be too long now

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 10:12 PM, Presson said:

Got a problem gents, need some advice. The UK winter roads and salt have taken their toll. ABS rotors are showing surface rusting. The sensors are presumably 'Hall effect', so should 'see' rotation through a layer or 'stuff'. Thinking of de-rusting rotors and painting with a thin layer of heat resistant paint (normally use this on exhaust headers but the rotors are attached to the brake disks so likely to get hot). Any thoughts on assumptions, procedure or ideas? Grateful for your input

My rear rotor is fine but I've already repainted the front one a couple of times, nothing seems to last, so I'm going to do the same as I've done with the rear heat shield. I've bought a second-hand one from a broken bike on eBay, will strip, rust proof and respray. The finish on the shield which has lasted best is brake caliper paint so I'm going to give that a try on the front rotor as well.

Great advice. However, not sure where we'd get phosphate surface treatment (parkerization) of motor parts done in the UK. It's a process often applied to firearm parts. There are some companies in the north that do it. Not sure if they would accept orders of small volumes like abs rotors or heat shield s and have a rapid turnaround so we could quickly get back out on the road. Is it a process that could be done at home?

Process is very easy to do at home. Parkerizing solutions are available commercially. Tooling is also simple, stainless tank to fit the parts and a heater (pot and portable stove for small parts) plus thermometer to control the process. 

Secret of the process is to neutralize parts well as they come out of solution and spray with coating right away before flash corrosion sets up.

Parkerizing finish is good by itself for mild corrosion protection as it supports oil film well. In salt spray conditions it works well as “primer” for variety of plastic coatings. 

Just goes to show why VFRD is the very best forum. Many thanks Magneto for the explanation. I'll look for a kit and get on with it and try to post some before and after pictures

Archived