Jump to content

Older vs newer VFR1200 models.


Recommended Posts

Hi guys, i currently ride a GSX-S1000 (but have owned a VFR800F which was lovely) 
 I adore the engine on my Suzuki and the way it handles, but i'v got to admit i miss having a bike that i can just ride, and that does not make me feel like i am wasting my time if i am not racing it everywhere. 
  I'v been thinking about the 1200, but i have some reservations. How is the reliability of these units? I'd assume it was stunning, but everywhere i go i feel like i am hearing about problems. Maybe its just a case of those having issues are the ones posting, and the others are out clocking up the miles? 😛 
I can do an (almost) clean swap for a goregous 2011 VFR1200 for my GSX-S. But i dont know if the early model bikes are cursed or something, they are signifigantly cheaper where i live (this VFR has only done around 3000 miles, so hardly broken in 😛. Are the early models bad bikes? Were there signifigant changes in the later versions? Sorry for all the quesions, i just dont know where else to go, as the dealerships seem generally clueless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Sunde changed the title to Older vs newer VFR1200 models.
Hi guys, i currently ride a lovely GSX-S1000 (but have owned a VFR800F which was lovely) 
 I adore the engine on my Suzuki and the way it handles, but i'v got to admit i miss having a bike that i can just ride, and that does not make me feel like i am wasting my time if i am not racing it everywhere. 
  I'v been thinking about the 1200, but i have some reservations. How is the reliability of these units? I'd assume it was stunning, but everywhere i go i feel like i am hearing about problems. Maybe its just a case of those having issues are the ones posting, and the others are out clocking up the miles?  
I can do an (almost) clean swap for a goregous 2011 VFR1200 for my GSX-S. But i dont know if the early model bikes are cursed or something, they are signifigantly cheaper where i live (this VFR has only done around 3000 miles, so hardly broken in . Are the early models bad bikes? Were there signifigant changes in the later versions? Sorry for all the quesions, i just dont know where else to go, as the dealerships seem generally clueless. 

Hi Sunde,

My 2011 VFR12F has been utterly bulletproof over the last 2.5yrs / 5k miles of ownership.. so granted I’m not what you would call a ‘heavy user’ but my buddy who lives across the road has had his 2011 VFR12F a lot longer and covered a lot more miles on it (including trips from the uk to Spain with pillion & full luggage). Never heard one complaint from him regards reliability or “problems”.
One thing you should try to do is get the VIN for the bike and contact Honda HQ and ask them to do a check to see what warranty work or recalls have been carried out on the bike during its life. They’ll also be be able to tell you if there’s any recalls outstanding.
On my bike HQ told me there had been two recalls applicable to my bike and both had been carried out;

> Engine abnormal noise inspection [3EL]
> Drive shaft replacement [3EF]

Other than this ensure full service history is present, and use your critical eye / gut-instinct (or pay for an independent inspection if you prefer) to ensure the bike is “honest” and not hiding anything untoward (e.g. hidden crash damage or something).

Can’t think of anything else...

Post some piccys if you have them

Happy shopping!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RedlineDrifter said:


Hi Sunde,

My 2011 VFR12F has been utterly bulletproof over the last 2.5yrs / 5k miles of ownership.. so granted I’m not what you would call a ‘heavy user’ but my buddy who lives across the road has had his 2011 VFR12F a lot longer and covered a lot more miles on it (including trips from the uk to Spain with pillion & full luggage). Never heard one complaint from him regards reliability or “problems”.
One thing you should try to do is get the VIN for the bike and contact Honda HQ and ask them to do a check to see what warranty work or recalls have been carried out on the bike during its life. They’ll also be be able to tell you if there’s any recalls outstanding.
On my bike HQ told me there had been two recalls applicable to my bike and both had been carried out;

> Engine abnormal noise inspection [3EL]
> Drive shaft replacement [3EF]

Other than this ensure full service history is present, and use your critical eye / gut-instinct (or pay for an independent inspection if you prefer) to ensure the bike is “honest” and not hiding anything untoward (e.g. hidden crash damage or something).

Can’t think of anything else...

Post some piccys if you have them emoji1360.pngemoji3526.png

Happy shopping!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the kind of response i was hoping for, thank you so much. 
  Any other info/tips is very welcome, i will 100% look into checking if the recalls have been carried out. 
The 2011 model is without T/C right? Probably okay with that, does that by chance mean that the "restricted power issue" in 1/2nd gear is less noticeable? 

Again thanks for a good response 😉

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

What RlD said....bulletproof.  

 

You can the ECU reprogrammed if you want to lose the restrictions. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2011 model is without a “sophisticated TC”, correct. Instead there is a rather more rudimentary electronic ‘power restriction’ fitted in standard form to 1st, 2nd (and possibly 3rd?) gears. Speed freaks will notice it I’m sure and the topic has been well covered on these forums. I’ve never felt compelled to get it removed on my bike as I’m usually already in 4th / 5th / 6th when giving it full beans. So I’ve always felt the bike is plenty fast enough in standard form for me, even in the lower gears.

Do look into the reprogramming thing as Skid said, there’s a few options available if the idea of removing it interests you.
At least you know there’s options anyways.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum CEO

The veefalo (2010 1200vfr standard) has over 60k miles on it, trouble free. It had a recall done on the shaft drive, but the old one showed no sign of failure. Its mostly stock, just a bazzaz bomb, Leo Vince slip on, and k&n air filter. I've done two valve adjustments, the rocker valves tend to need adjustments while the shim under buckets dont. I replaced the spark plugs, but saw no significant signs of worn plugs, iridium plugs are bulletproof. I forgot to replace an oring on the front valve cover, and it smoked oil a bit. I freaked out of course. Took it apart again and found my missing oring. Put in a new one and no more oil smoke. It's been a really reliable bike. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

(Hopefully getting a chance to ride the 2011 VFR this saturday). Thinking about perhaps importing a 2014 black one from germany I am not sure if i need the improvements brought on by the later versions, of if i'll be totally happy with a 2011 model. Really difficult to know haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

Mine (2013) has 35,00 miles on it and no issues, aside from a rock through the radiator and a deer collision at high speed. Neither of which can be blamed on Honda. Bulletproof bike, fast and fun! The traction control is rudimentary and kicks in when you don't want it most of the time. But it has saved my bacon on a few occasions... 

 

Definitely reliable, but like any big bike, it eats tires and gas. 😂

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Mine (2013) has 35,00 miles on it and no issues, aside from a rock through the radiator and a deer collision at high speed. Neither of which can be blamed on Honda. Bulletproof bike, fast and fun! The traction control is rudimentary and kicks in when you don't want it most of the time. But it has saved my bacon on a few occasions... 

 

Definitely reliable, but like any big bike, it eats tires and gas. 😂

 

 

Sounds fair, my GSX-S isn't exactly nice to its rubber either haha. 
 Stoked to try the 2011, i'll get the chance to ride a 2014 one aswell, more miles on it and not really one i want to buy, but i need to see if the improvements are really worth much to me, i'll probably have the ECU reprogrammed anyway + getting myself one of these. 

https://www.bikefarmmv.com/epages/79512538.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/79512538/Products/"HHLRHO VFR 1200 F SC63"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a good go on the VFR today, what a nice ride! Smooth but fast and powerfull, did not feel like my GSX-S would have an easy time if it came to a dragrace haha. 
  Really pleased with the feel of the bike in general, but omg the stock seat is awfull! Haha, i can only nitpick however. Looking into if the recalls have been carried out. If everything checks out i might end up joining you guys. 😉


Not the best quality photo, but you guys know how they look like i assume 😛

 

thumbnail_IMG_0810 (1).jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Picking the bike up next Friday

Pretty hyped 🙂
 The ECU is fitted underneath the tank i assume? Have already been in contact with Sabsteef ECU tuning (Stefan) and plan to do the remote tuning to get rid of the power restrictions etc. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Picking the bike up next Friday
Pretty hyped
 The ECU is fitted underneath the tank i assume? Have already been in contact with Sabsteef ECU tuning (Stefan) and plan to do the remote tuning to get rid of the power restrictions etc. 

Awesome news!

Re: ECU under the tank... Not sure mate. I’ve not had to go ECU hunting before, but I’m certain others far more knowledgable than I will confirm for you

Where are you riding it from / to?
Long journey?
it’s a nice n dry day for you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Sunde said:

Picking the bike up next Friday

Pretty hyped 🙂
 The ECU is fitted underneath the tank i assume? Have already been in contact with Sabsteef ECU tuning (Stefan) and plan to do the remote tuning to get rid of the power restrictions etc. 


Have you looked at the Rapid Bike fuelling module?

 

One of the many options on the Race unit is removing rev/speed limit .... if it ever has to go to a Honda dealer you can just unplug it 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer
On 11/14/2020 at 4:07 PM, Sunde said:

Picking the bike up next Friday

Pretty hyped 🙂
 The ECU is fitted underneath the tank i assume? Have already been in contact with Sabsteef ECU tuning (Stefan) and plan to do the remote tuning to get rid of the power restrictions etc. 

Great news.

 

Please let us know how you get on with Sabsteef. I am considering it for the spring of next year.

 

@Thumbs - why have a module when you can set the ECU to do everything you want and no need to disconnect when you visit a dealer? Doubtful even the insurance company would know if you hadn't told them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 6:59 PM, Skids said:

Great news.

 

Please let us know how you get on with Sabsteef. I am considering it for the spring of next year.

 

@Thumbs - why have a module when you can set the ECU to do everything you want and no need to disconnect when you visit a dealer? Doubtful even the insurance company would know if you hadn't told them.

I'll let you know!
260 euro's is what he is asking which seems like a fair price. As i dont even have the bike yet it is pretty doubtfull i'll get to ride it with his tune before winter kicks in. 
Guess i'll have something to look forward to, come spring 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Sunde said:

I'll let you know!
260 euro's is what he is asking which seems like a fair price. As i dont even have the bike yet it is pretty doubtfull i'll get to ride it with his tune before winter kicks in. 
Guess i'll have something to look forward to, come spring 🙂

 

I was thinking that the Winter would be a good time to do it, but then as soon as it's done, I'll want to get out on it.

 

Maybe better to wait until next spring, ride the bike for a while to get used to it again, then get Seb to adjust it and ride it back-to-back to get the full effect. That's the beauty of not having to send yr ECU away, you can ride it adjusted the same day.

 

Yes, €260 is a pretty good price.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

Once you get the 1st and 2nd ( and maybe 3rd gear in some countries ) limitations resolved, and the fuel/timing curves smoothed out, the bike will feel much better. Honda makes them run fairly lean from the factory, and don't want you to have fun in the lower gears. You can chase down all but the best riders on sport bikes, and do 400+ mile days for days on end. I hope you enjoy the bike! All my friends have eventually ended up with V2 or V4 bikes because they are more fun, AND more relaxing to ride at the same time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.