Replaced Front sprocket And now speedometer read slow

speedball73

• Member Contributer

Ok so returned to the shop and somehow my speedo sensor was jammed onto the mount too hard, too far from the countershaft. Luckily they had a spare and got me on my way in 15 min!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Happens all the time with inexperienced mechanics. Did it myself once, not gonna lie.lol

They didn't need a new part likely, the plastic nut will slide on the shaft. Hopefully the dealer wasn't giving you the shaft!

Seems a little odd that they had such an obscure part for a 20 year old bike in stock... doesn't it?

• Member Contributer
Happens all the time with inexperienced mechanics. Did it myself once, not gonna lie.lol
They didn't need a new part likely, the plastic nut will slide on the shaft. Hopefully the dealer wasn't giving you the shaft!
Seems a little odd that they had such an obscure part for a 20 year old bike in stock... doesn't it?

When I went back I watched the guy take it off - in all fairness he wasn’t a noob - but he didn’t think it was fixable - I didn’t want to share this part of the story (because some might think it makes the shop look bad), but let’s just say a good customer of theirs with a VFR was willing to “lend” his to me. They didn’t have it at the parts counter so to speak (I watched them pull it off the donor bike and put it on mine).

• Member Contributer

Good to know they didn't charge you for the part. It was an error on the mechanics part though and totally preventable. Maybe he was having a bad day...it happens. If it worked when you went in it didn't go bad on its own though. If it ever happens again, a little pry with a screwdriver will slide the plastic nut back to its original position.

• Member Contributer
Good to know they didn't charge you for the part. It was an error on the mechanics part though and totally preventable. Maybe he was having a bad day...it happens. If it worked when you went in it didn't go bad on its own though. If it ever happens again, a little pry with a screwdriver will slide the plastic nut back to its original position.

To be honest it was jumping around a little bit but in general reading the correct speed when I took it in - afterwards it would read 0 until I hit about 30 kph, and about 20% low in general - so something happened. But they stayed late after closing and made it right at no charge so hats off to them.

For those reading this that don’t know I’m halfway through a 6000 mile trip and I’m pretty far from home, so I’m thankful to be running (chain was shot).

• Member Contributer

A correct speedo is vital on a road trip like yours........  :tour:

In 2012 on my TMAC trip (on Gradus' Vtec) I spend a few days prior to explore some of the south and visit Skuuter.  Riding with gutted exhausts I was carefull in towns and long and behold I spotted a police cruiser's nose behind a billboard. Blues Brothers anyone? :goofy:

Sure enough he started tailing me and I made SURE I was stickng to the posted speed limit which varied as I rode along.   He did follow me till the county line.

I could just imaging the questions (assuming I could understand him)

So you are a foreigner?

So you are not the owner of this ve hik el?

So you donot have do cu men ted proof you are allowed to use it?

So why were you exceeding the posted linit?

Better be safe than.....

Archived