Best pricing for OEM Honda brake pads

Bent

• Member Contributer

I'm soon going to replace my original 8th gen. Honda brake pads with OEM Honda brake pads.

Is there any better place to get them inexpensively than Ron Ayers?  I just want the best price and delivery, same as everyone else.  Thanks! 

• Member Contributer

Hi Bent.

Can save you some money by recommending EBC HH pads. Any reason you want to go OEM for pads?

Many VFR owners swear by them and I've had them on my 2014 8gen for ages. Feel and performance appears excellent.

As always YMMV.

ECB FA390HH Front 2sets, ECB FA488HH Rear.

For best price on any Honda parts call Keith at Mason City Honda in Mason City, Iowa. He gives a 15% discount to VFRD members. What he doesn't have in stock, he can get in two days from a regional depot and have it in the mail to you.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Sweeper said:

For best price on any Honda parts call Keith at Mason City Honda in Mason City, Iowa. He gives a 15% discount to VFRD members. What he doesn't have in stock, he can get in two days from a regional depot and have it in the mail to you.

Yep! Just tell him you're with VFRD.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies.  I'll check 'em out.    

Yes, there are reasons I won't use EBC pads.  1). Honda pads work well and are a "known" for me.  2). saving money on brake pads because they aren't OEM isn't important to me and 3) a close friend of mine who has raced in the past and who is, not to his liking (he likes keeping a low profile), very well known in the motorcycle industry, has had very bad luck with the quality of EBC pads and will never consider them again.  I respect his opinion because it's experienced based much more than almost anyone else's considering how much riding he has done and does do. Brakes can determine the outcome of your life in an incident so, not even going to consider a change from OEM.  That, and I just don't see a reason to change.

Long answer to a short question. ; ) 

• Member Contributer

Fully appreciate your reason for sticking with the OEM. Thanks for sharing your friends bad experience with EBC. It's the first negative I've heard, wonder if they were the HH type he was using?

As always YMMV.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Grum said:

Fully appreciate your reason for sticking with the OEM. Thanks for sharing your friends bad experience with EBC. It's the first negative I've heard, wonder if they were the HH type he was using?

As always YMMV.

Grum, I don't know if they were HH type or not.  My friend is very conscious of quality when his ass (and others) is on the line when racing, thus his feelings about EBC and a bad experience with them.  This is a very well respected person in sport biking that is just very protective of his privacy (and sometimes shy) so I'll just respect that and keep him as a friend.  And, again, with the kind of riding I do, much of it aggressive, Honda pads work quite well.  Peace, harmony, and happiness to the world! 

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Bent said:

Grum, I don't know if they were HH type or not.  My friend is very conscious of quality when his ass (and others) is on the line when racing, thus his feelings about EBC and a bad experience with them.  This is a very well respected person in sport biking that is just very protective of his privacy (and sometimes shy) so I'll just respect that and keep him as a friend.  And, again, with the kind of riding I do, much of it aggressive, Honda pads work quite well.  Peace, harmony, and happiness to the world! 

That's a thumbs up from me, couldn't agree more with your perspective.

Cheers.:fing02:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have to laugh at myself now.  I learned that finding OEM Honda pads for an 8th gen. is not so easy.  Most places have them on back order (meaning they don't sell a lot of them so why stock them).  I found the fronts at "Wild West Honda" in Texas for $25. per side cheaper than my LBS.  After looking at the new ones, then the original pads on my bike, I decided not to change them.  New pads are thinner than I expected and I concluded the fronts, though thin, are not worn out at all.   I'll have pads when I need them now.  Off to the mountains we go!

Oh, and curiously, it's in the owner's manual that Honda recommends engine braking.  I do it a LOT anyway but interesting to hear a manufacturer recommend it.  I've never heard of a VFR suffering cylinder or ring wear so I'll do it even more now, LOL!

Archived