Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rollos

New levers, lost auto-rpm increase in first

Recommended Posts

Just installed Asv f3 levers and noticed that the rpm increase letting off clutch in first has disappeared. Anyone else notice this? Did I miss something on the install? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have heard this happening with non OEM levers. Check your lever if its not activating your clutch switch. This will also disable your ability to start the bike in gear with clutch pulled in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I made sure after the install that the bike would not start in first without pulling the clutch and that it would start in first with the clutch pulled. Could it still be the switch? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 250rpm increase relies on being in gear and clutch switch being de activated as you release the clutch. It's easy to verify if your bike has a center stand. It's a fairly subtle effect.

Can you hear the clutch micro switch clicking as you pull in and release the clutch (engine off)? Get your ear close to the clutch master cylinder you should hear a faint click as the switch activates and de-activates.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Grum said:

The 250rpm increase relies on being in gear and clutch switch being de activated as your release your clutch. It's easy to verify if your bike has a center stand. It's a fairly subtle effect.

Can you hear the clutch micro switch clicking as you pull in and release the clutch (engine off)? Get your ear close to the clutch master cylinder you should hear a faint click as the switch activates and de-activates.

 

Yes, definitely hear the click. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try with Oe clutch first to see what happens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Road with the Oem levers just before the install and had no issue with the 250 rpm increase. I'll switch the Oem clutch back on tomorrow to see if I can figure out what the issue is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3 November 2018 at 1:50 AM, Rollos said:

Road with the Oem levers just before the install and had no issue with the 250 rpm increase. I'll switch the Oem clutch back on tomorrow to see if I can figure out what the issue is

 

If you do refit the OEM lever. Take note of the clutch lever position as to when the switch activates pulling the clutch in and when it deactivates as you let the clutch out - listen for the switch click. 

Compare this to the Asv lever. Provided the clutch switch is working as per the OEM lever, there can be no reason why you could have lost the 250rpm increase on clutch release.!! The only way the ECM knows what's happening with your clutch is via the clutch lever switch. The clutch switch should deactivate at or near the friction zone on release which is about where you'd want the extra 250rpm to kick in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't switched off the lever yet but I just had a thought about what might be the issue and figured I'd run it by you guys. Asv includes a number of spacers which interface with the clutch switch. I've installed the recommended spacer but it's possible that the switch is deactivating later than the clutch reaching the friction zone and therefore not activating the 250 rpm increase. My thought is maybe use a different spacer and I've reached out to Bob at Asv to see which he'd recommend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a little update. I was wrong about the spacers, they're to fit the lever not adjust the switch contact point. I think I'm right about the switch timing though. Bob (who made the levers) at Asv is going to go to the local Honda and hopefully do some tests. 

 

I sent him this pic. Arrows are the switch contact point. 

IMG_20181107_203509.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rollos said:

So a little update. I was wrong about the spacers, they're to fit the lever not adjust the switch contact point. I think I'm right about the switch timing though. Bob (who made the levers) at Asv is going to go to the local Honda and hopefully do some tests. 

 

I sent him this pic. Arrows are the switch contact point. 

 

 

Hope I'm not talking garbage But are you sure that is the correct Asv lever for an 8gen ? No wonder its not activating the clutch switch correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rollos said:

It is according to the ASV fitment guide. 

street-honda.pdf

15416798857253081692183493026409.jpg

Sorry being a bit thick here.

 

Picture says CRF 345 -SR   F3 Sports series    yet in brochure it says CRF310   (Honda part no 53178 KV 3000)  and fit the following bikes. https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/53178KV3000  The bikes in the list ALL have cable clutches

 

However the part no CRF 345   shows totally different bikes on the PDF      (Honda Part no 53180 MEJ 016 )  is the OE part and fits the following bikes. 

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/53180MEJ016. Bikes in this list all have Hydraulic clutches.

 

 

So maybe not so thick after all. It seems to be an error at the manufacture/printing stage   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, fink said:

Sorry being a bit thick here.

 

Picture says CRF 345 -SR   F3 Sports series    yet in brochure it says CRF310   (Honda part no 53178 KV 3000)  and fit the following bikes. https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/53178KV3000  The bikes in the list ALL have cable clutches

 

However the part no CRF 345   shows totally different bikes on the PDF      (Honda Part no 53180 MEJ 016 )  is the OE part and fits the following bikes. 

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/53180MEJ016. Bikes in this list all have Hydraulic clutches.

 

 

So maybe not so thick after all. It seems to be an error at the manufacture/printing stage   

 

 

The fitment pdf attached lists crf345 as the correct part number for 2014 vfr800f. What brochure are you referring to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you looked at the pdf you also attached in your post?

 

Read what the label on the box says.

 

Now go to the pdf and look for the bike listed on the label, note part no.

Then look down at the vfr listing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, fink said:

Have you looked at the pdf you also attached in your post?

 

Read what the label on the box says.

 

Now go to the pdf and look for the bike listed on the label, note part no.

Then look down at the vfr listing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I guess that's what's gotten me confused. The pdf shows crf345 as the right part #, the box shows 345sr as the part, r being red. Help me out here. Where did you get crf310?? 

Screenshot_20181108-124130.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem to have it right. 345 is supposed to be for your bike. 310 isn't.

 

The ASV site gives the same number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ignore me I was thinking Cbr F3 and not product no F3.  Too many night shifts lol

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem Fink, I was hoping you were seeing something I wasn't. 

 

Still waiting to hear back from Bob at ASV. I'm hoping that the Honda dealership by Huntington Beach, CA has an 8th gen hanging around. 

 

If not, if anyone here is local to ASV and would like to help shoot me a DM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant help with ASV, but I know those red chinese TSM's from Amazon fit perfect and have no issues. Plus they're only 40 bucks. I know, I know, I should've bought American. But my ex wife says I cant have any of my monthly money back. Succubus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard back from ASV. Turns out that the gen8 has an upgraded master cylinder and lever. What's being sold now as gen8 levers don't take this difference into consideration. The lever works but will not produce the 250 rpm ramp up in 1st. They'll be manufacturing new clutch levers to rectify in a few months and will exchange mine regardless of condition when they are ready. If anyone else is running a gen8 ASV clutch lever you might want to contact them. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ASV CRC545-SK Shorty Clutch C5 Sport 

Installed clutch side a year ago almost to the day. Due to dropping the bike.

No issues since day 1. i'm sure they make these in standard length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, motofmly said:

ASV CRC545-SK Shorty Clutch C5 Sport 

Installed clutch side a year ago almost to the day. Due to dropping the bike.

No issues since day 1. i'm sure they make these in standard length.

 

That's interesting. I would've thought they would use a similar design for both levers. 

 

Just to confirm, the clutch switch operates as expected? You notice the increase of 250 rpm as you let off clutch in 1st?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.