New Member VTEC electrical issues

Diogo

• Member Contributer

Hello everyone, my name is Diogo from Lisbon. I just got myself a VFR 800 VTEC 90.000Km on the clock. I had a lot off bikes during the years and after a 5 years break I got myself a scooter. Since before that my last bike was a KTM 950S Adventure the poor Majesty 125 was bound to departure from me very soon. even if I convinced the wife it wasn't so. So I got myself a VFR 800 Vtec I felt in love with this bike in 2002 but got myself a CBR954 in 2003 and fir sure I was 23 at the time the VFR while Beautiful was I believed not enough. Age makes us wiser that's for sure! So back to my Beautiful black VFR, I bought it last week with 90.000Km, people told me I'm crazy that's to much for a bike etc. I know many VFR 750 going much further and I believed the VTEC to be from the same blood. The very next day after a very short ride, I plug the key in turn ignition and BZzzzzz Cricic BZzzzz no lights bike cranks but not fuel pump no lights?! I turn off the key and star stripping it on the street for the fuses and so on, after many dealings since I had no idea where they were, I started from the left size, at the time I touched something that made her start. At the time I had no clue what it was... I got home and googled and googled and read about the terrible fate of the blue connector!!! YES it happened to me at 90K on the 2 day the previous owner never had to deal with this!!! So I started looking at the issues, I had the starter relay burned, the connectors melted but 30 Amp fuse OK?! Next blue connector is slightly melted on the green wire and the yellow conector at the front is burned also... Removed yellow connector, soldered all the greens with a very capable 40 Amp tick cable and grounded it to the chassis on a bolt under the thank. Since I removed the front ground and made it to the chassis from the front side of the conector should the ground going back also be connected to the chassis? Next I'm going to do the monitor Wire fix on the RR side. I also ordered a used complete wiring loom front to back from a used parts shop in the UK were I'm going to do every mod outside the bike and then just mount it correctly and use the current loom for future parts.

Now my biggest headache is this, I have a right wwitch for the lights that goes from: OFF / Little leads (presence lights sorry I have no clue how you call it in english)/ Low Beam. On the left side I can switch from LB to HB and passing switch / Horn / Turn signals. But I should be able to cut the lights on the right control what happens is even with the control to off I still get LB, if I move the control to LB, I connect the dash and the back lights but I never have control over the LB. Disconnect only the control plug but leaving the ignition key plug on I still get LB's!!!  the  Can someone help me on this?

I have been over many diagrams never finding one with lights control switch, I know it exists I just stopped today next to a VFR VTEc from 2003 and I could shout the dam lights OFF!!! I find no bypass wiring on the bike, no recall was made here in Portugal and I see no damn reason why the lights stay on no mater what. If I unplug the relay of course they shut down. This happens since day one for me so the burning conector issue has no impact on this...

I also know the previous owner had at some point HID installed because he made some holes on the headlamps adapters. Wiring is consistent with diagram concerning relays and connectors to the lamps. The bike is using 4XH7. I also ordered the right hand side controls since I opened mine and the wiring is very old. 

Thank you for receiving me and sharing, I'm also going to post this on the other VFR Forum hoping for help.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

VFRness is going to be ordered soon since from what I read Joshua does a magnificent job solving most of the issues regarding electrical reliability. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Diogo.

It is normal for the LB (Low Beam) lights to be on ALL the time the ignition switch is ON. The only time your Low Beam Relay is de-energised is when the Ignition Switch is OFF or when you depress the Engine Start Switch.

Your Headlights should have 2ea H4's always on for Low Beam, and 2ea H7's for the Hi Beam.

The only light switch on the Right Side are the Hazard Lights which will flash all turn indicators! Left Side light switch controls are Hi Beam, Low Beam and Passing switch.

Hope this clears things a little, not too sure of your description. Also I assume the European VFR is the same as the Australian version when it comes to the lighting system.

Cheers.

Grum

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Diogo.

It is normal for the LB (Low Beam) lights to be on ALL the time the ignition switch is ON. The only time your Low Beam Relay is de-energised is when the Ignition Switch is OFF or when you depress the Engine Start Switch.

Your Headlights should have 2ea H4's always on for Low Beam, and 2ea H7's for the Hi Beam.

The only light switch on the Right Side are the Hazard Lights which will flash all turn indicators! Left Side light switch controls are Hi Beam, Low Beam and Passing switch.

Hope this clears things a little, not too sure of your description. Also I assume the European VFR is the same as the Australian version when it comes to the lighting system.

Cheers.

Grum

Grum, I'm not sure you are correct.

The UK Vtec has 4 x H7 bulbs, there are no H4 bulbs in the UK Vtec. I'm unsure if the Euro-Vtec follows UK or Aussie principal.

Diogo....what year is your bike? Again, I'm unsure from what year Euro bikes had Low Beam on permanently but that only arrived on UK bikes from 2006 onwards. Before 2006 model, there was an On/Off switch on the right.

Hope that helps somewhat.

• Member Contributer

Bearing in mind I have no direct experience here...

I don't believe the VTEC would ever use H4 bulbs as these bulbs always have a high and low beam filament, while the VTEC has separate high and low beam reflectors so each reflector only needs a single filament bulb i.e. H7. 

If Diogo's bike has a lights on/position/off switch on the bars, then all lights should be off when in the "off" position. If not I'd suggest you either have a bare wire that is permanently powering your low beam light relay when the ignition is on, or the bike has been wired up that way deliberately. Diogo, when you press the starter button, do the low beams go out? They should. The blue white wire leading to the low beam relay should not be live unless the headlight switch is in the "on" position.

• Member Contributer

Hello probkem is solved previous owner messed wiring on both left and right controls. Again my VFR version is 03 EUR it has light switch controls and no hazards up untill 06 or something when local PT law changed. My bike has 4 x H7 stock. I read in some parts world 2xH4 + 2xH7. Cheers

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Skids said:

Grum, I'm not sure you are correct.

The UK Vtec has 4 x H7 bulbs, there are no H4 bulbs in the UK Vtec. I'm unsure if the Euro-Vtec follows UK or Aussie principal.

Diogo....what year is your bike? Again, I'm unsure from what year Euro bikes had Low Beam on permanently but that only arrived on UK bikes from 2006 onwards. Before 2006 model, there was an On/Off switch on the right.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks Skids, wasn't too sure wether UK or Euro would be different although, I am surprised that lighting would be any different across the world. Only today I replaced a friends blown left low beam globe most certainly a H4, H4's and H7's have different connectors, don't know why the Aussie version doesn't have 4 x H7's it makes a lot more sense. Also wasn't aware of the On/Off switch on the right, again my Aussie 2004 model did not have this switch.

Cheers.

Grum.

There are even differences between countries in the European Union. Spain never had light switches on the 6th gen VTEC. Only the 5th gen. They also did not have the hazard lights switch until later but I believe it was 2004. Mine was from 2003 and didn't have either. Lights on when they key is turned to ON. This set up has been responsible for many of us finding the battery drained when making short stops and using the kill switch instead of the key.

H7s all round.

You can never have too many grounds.

• Member Contributer

Switched to full synthetic oil + filter. Major leak front valve cover. Dealer states bike was stored for to long before I bought it, they are going to replace valve gaskets etc... Another week without bike. Also bought 8 spoke rim to replace back rim since a pothole made a dent the other day.IMG_20170128_103618.jpgIMG_20170123_195721.jpg

Bad luck with that gasket. I have seen the odd VTEC with a slow oil leak from the front right cylinder head, like yours but a real slow weep, wouldn't even require topping up oil between regular scheduled maintenance.

Mostly though, if the VFR is famous for anything it's a bullet proof engine with zero oil consumption.

Nice score on the 8 spoker!

There's something missing from this thread...

No photo = No moto

• Member Contributer

The oil leak after cleaning was effectively slow and not an issue but... It has a 1 year warranty and I prefer to check it now. I only have naked pics of Alexandra... I post some and when the sun returns I will post more in full dress ;)IMG_20170113_184839.jpgIMG_20170113_184850.jpgIMG_20161229_214141.jpgIMG_20161229_214150.jpg

• Member Contributer

Also from whst I read around VFR foruns I got the 8 spoke really cheap... 150€... The guy told me he could get more but around 180/200€ since better shape.

Archived