Rattling noise when decelerating

MarvelBeatsDC

Hi all,

I noticed a rattling this morning on the way into work (heard it due to forgetting my ear plugs today, not sure how long its been there!).

It seems to be when I release the throttle and decelerate, but it only seems to happen when I am in a gear above 2nd. If I shift down it seems to go away.

There are no issues with braking or loss of power when I then accelerate again etc.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Not sure how serious a problem this is/could be.

• Member Contributer

Most common cause are the CCT's Cam Chain Tensioners. One for the front, and one for the rear cylinders. Try to establish wether the noise is coming from front or rear cylinders then replace it. Generally you can hear it when engine fully warmed up and at idle. Search the forum, there's heaps of info regards this common issue.

Cheers.

Thank you very much, it sounded like it was coming from the front.

I'll take it get to looked at, I wouldn't want to chance doing it myself haha

Is it something that is severe if not looked at immediately?

Its the only mode of transport I have to/from work aside from public transport...the thought of which is not a pleasant one :)

• Member Contributer

If it is the CCT, many have ridden (including myself) with the noise for a while without an issue. If it is really bad and ignored for a long time there is a chance of the timing chain jumping a tooth on the cam sprockets which could potentially cause piston/valve damage.

Cheers

Grum

It only seems to be doing it at speed, I've had it sat idle for a good while and it doesn't make the noise.

I don't have any equipment to record while I am on the move unfortunately.

It sounds very much like what other people have described on this forum with CCT issues though.

Check your chain tension. When the chain on my former '02 was stretched beyond adjustable length it rattled on deceleration, sound seemed for all the world to be coming from the front of the bike.

Check your chain tension. When the chain on my former '02 was stretched beyond adjustable length it rattled on deceleration, sound seemed for all the world to be coming from the front of the bike.

+1

Would almost put money on it.

+1 been there, done that - a few years ago chain "slag" was 3,5 - 4 cm, after adjust to 2 - 2,5 cm noise was gone

Archived