8th Gen vs. 6th Gen vs. currently owned 4th Gen

artyldr01

CROSS POSTED in 8th GEN as well. 

Good Evening,

I have a 94 VFR with 88k miles.  It died of an undiagnosed electrical issue on a ride this weekend.  I plan to fix her and never sell her but I am trying to convince the wife to allow me a 21st century bike.  I test rode a R1200RS but well beyond my price.  So here is the dilemma.  I have found a new, in the crate 2014 VFR 800 deluxe listed at $7999.  That is stock (no bags, risers, that I want).  There is also a 2007 with less $5000 miles, 25th anniversary scheme, and bags.  Understand it is style and character that mean more to me than ultimate performance.  The biggest thing i want is VFR panache, and frankly the 2007 has more of that than the 2014.  But I also want all the modern safety features the 2014 offers (ABS, traction control, heated grips, etc).  If you were to advise one way or another please do so.  Is the 8th Gen improvements worth my lackluster interest?  From a "modern" stand point would I give up much going for the 2007 (which I might be able to sell to the wife better!)?  Thank you all very much for any insight.

After ten years with my 03, I was to the point of doing the suspension. I'm cheap by nature so its difficult. I started looking for a newer lower mileage bike to spend the extra money on. I was swayed by the low prices of the 8th gens. What I found was a newer bike (07) with the same miles but ALL of the farkles. ABS was the biggest reason for not upgrading the 03. The mods on the 07 added up to more than the asking price on the 07 so I got them for free in my book. 

The short of it.....buy what you want to keep. 

Good luck with it whichever way you go.

I have a 6th gen and I love it, do wish it had ABS and traction control but even without it the bike is predictable enough that it's not a necessity and I always feel confident in mine and the bikes ability to get me out of trouble.

That being said if the 8th gen had an undertail exhaust I would have saved up the scratch for another 6 months and bought it instead. I just really like the undertail design.

Well, this is  sorta a tricky question,  IMO what ever its worth, and have had a 4th gen so know that version well. but you have a couple things you'd like, so lets se here.. Yes  the deluxe 014 is a great bike, hard to turn it down for the money now,  but you want a bit more, I get it.  let me say though the 8th gen riding is closer to the 4th than the 6th in fact it's almost a 5th gen. but money and wants play into the bang for the buck and what you're looking for,  so it would be hard to walk away from a 6th gen with the goodies you are looking for and no doubt it would be less of a financial burden.  IDK, glad I'm not in your shoes. Though if it was me,  I'd go 8th gen then add the farkles as you can.    But?    ;)

I do love the looks of the underseat exhaust, though I understand it affects handling compared to the lower exhaust, I'm just tired of Honda obscuring that gorgeous rear end! :-)  If I am going on pure visceral response, the 07 has me.  If its "lickies and chewies" the 14 has those.  Ultimately, I guess it will come down to cost, and passion.  I'm not sure what Honda's plans are since the VFR800 is in hiatus...if they ever actually get the styling and performance right at the same time I might have a heart attack!

Are there any reliability or inspection points I should be aware of looking at the 2007?  I live in Virginia and the bike is in South Carolina so if I'm going to make the trek, I want to be darn sure it's worth the trip. 

• Member Contributer

If you want ABS, eventually you would find a 6th gen with it.  There are a couple on ebay now, but not in RWB colors.  Heated grips are easy, the only thing you'd sacrifice would be TC, which on an 800cc bike is probably not a big deal. 

As with most VFR's, the stator to R/R connector on 6th gens can be an issue.  If you inspect the bike in person you can inspect the starter solenoid fuse under the seat.  Getting at the R/R connector would be tougher and require cooperation from the seller.  Other than that CCT's might come in to play, but they would on an 8th gen too, eventually.  Other than that they seem to be relatively problem free.  My '08 keeps clicking away having only replaced the stator as it was looking a bit crispy short of 20,000 miles. 

If Honda comes out with an attractively styled 9th gen with 1000cc displacement, I'm not sure what I'll do.  I've told myself that with the soft market for used VFR's I'm keeping the 6th gen no matter what - and I've only got so much room for bikes in the garage!  I hope it happens - but I'm not holding my breath. 

Sounds like me.  I want to keep waiting for the PERFECT VFR...seems to be a long wait.  I definitely will check the tires, I ran into that on my 1994.  So the charging problems persist into the 6th Gen?  What about the 8th, any ideas?

• Member Contributer

IMO charging issues can be greatly reduced by annual inspection of the electrical system.  I've treated all my connections with Oxgard and everything's working perfectly.  The battery's always on the tender.  2006 and later 6th gens had an upgraded wiring harness and were not subject to the recall (you can check the VIN of '02 through '05's on Honda's website) so presumably have fewer issues, but they're not immune. 

I can't recall an 8th gen owner posting up any issues with the electrics - maybe progress is being made!

Archived