Brakes - long press then short???

Skids

• Member Contributer

I've just finished stripping, cleaning & re-building the calipers on my 08 6th Gen, replacing all the seals on the calipers plus new fluid following the excellent guide on this site, plus new pads in the rear.

Took it out for a test this afternoon, front brakes are awesome but the rear brake needs a long push down to get anything at all but then on the subsequent 2 presses, the pedal moves less and braking improves quickly to being very impressive. Now I'd have thought it meant I hadn't bled all the air out but surely that would mean the pedal depressing a long way every time, not just the first time and it wouldn't subsequently get really, really good. Which it does.

So I'm confused and not being an expert in any way, shape or form on brakes, thought I'd ask the assembled masses for thoughts on what the issue could be. New pads? Never had an issue before fitting new pads. So what could it be? Have I put the caliper or hoses back together improperly?

Any clues greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

if you mean you press once then another quick 2 presses then yes air could be in lines. if its more of 1 press then 2 more presses later say 5 minutes or something then that would not be air. also could be a bent rotor pushing pads back a little but you should feel that in a pulse feeling.

best bet is air, did you follow service manual or the forum instructions? somewhere on the forum is a very nice write up.

• Member Contributer

My guess would also be air in the line. I know when I first did my 6 Gen, the rear didn't seem quite right and I ended up re-bleeding the rear and there was still a bit of air in the line.

• Member Contributer

2 or 3 quick presses and it's fine. I used the guide on here so I guess I haven't bled it properly.

Thanks, I'll give it another go.  :beer:

• Member Contributer

Sorted (I think - haven't ridden except down the driveway).

I repeated the RMC steps from jay-d's excellent guide on the site and got air out at each stage so I clearly wasn't rigorous enough when I did it at the weekend. I'll check it on the way to work tomorrow.

Thanks for the assist guys.  :beer:

• Member Contributer

Brakes fine on the 105 mile round-trip to work today. In fact, they're excellent! Plenty of bite but progressive with plenty of feedback.

Archived