Third-gen VFR w/VFR1200 Triple Clamps/Yokes

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

Most people would say that if no one has ever done a particular VFR mod, there's probably a reason.  Oh.  Yeah, that does make sense...  :blush:

But another way of looking at this would be to say that most people obviously don't enjoy challenges!  :tongue:

There are a few reasons why the SC63 triple clamps are nevertheless a good candidate for a VFR fork swap, and a few reasons why they're not.  The pros:

1. They've got a 35mm offset.  Most other VFRs have a 40mm offset, but the "traditional" Frankenviffer fork swap uses triple clamps from the CBR900RR Fireblade series (929, 954) or VTR1000 SP1/SP2/RC51, all of which have a 30mm offset.  A 10mm reduction in fork offset is substantial, so trail will be increased quite a bit unless other things are done to decrease it (such as raising the rear or lowering the front).  The VFR1200 yokes' offset is closer to the RC36's yokes' offset, so fewer other changes to the suspension would be required compared with using 30mm offset triples.

2. They don't need completely new bump stops.  The VFR1200's bump stops are too tall, but only by about 5mm, so they can be shaved down fairly easily (I used an end mill mounted on the chuck in my drill press).  They're not in exactly the right place, but they can be drilled and threaded to use M6 bolts as adjustable bump stops.

20160521_123611x.jpg

3. The VFR1200 yokes appear to be very strong.  Coming off a heavier bike, it's not surprising that they are very substantial.

4. There's no need to use a different lower bearing.  They use the same upper and lower bearings as the RC36, so no need to use a 3mm spacer (which is required to fit the CBR/RC51 SP1 lower yoke into the RC36 headstock.

5. In theory, yokes with more offset should = more steering lock.  We'll see if it makes any practical difference, but the traditional swap noticeably reduces steering lock, so more would be better.

The cons:

1. The RC36 fairing stay needs to be seriously modified.  Yup, there's no way around that.  By "seriously" I mean the main top fairing stay will have to be cut and welded in order to even clear the VFR1200's lower triple. 

20160916_125037y.jpg

Facing forward and looking down through the LHS top yoke opening in this pic, you can see the lower yoke opening--that's as far as it goes before it hits the fairing stay!  FIrst it hits the side of the fairing stay's horizontal tubing (both sides do this), but even if that tube were flattened it wouldn't get very far before hitting the mounting brackets (again, on both sides).  I can see that the offending parts of the fairing stay can be cut away and new bits welded on, so that is what I plan to do.  Unfortunately, I haven't welded anything in about 10 years--and I wasn't very good then!

2. The lower clamp has 55mm fork tube openings.  (Most USD forks used on Frankenviffer swaps are 54mm in the bottom clamping area.)  This is not really a huge issue.  When I bought my lower triple clamp from the ever-helpful KenG he included some 0.5mm aluminum shim stock, which can be wrapped around the fork bottoms to effectively increase the fork diameter to 55mm, which should then clamp perfectly in the VFR1200 lower triple clamps.  (The upper is the same size as the others.)

3. The VFR1200 upper triple clamp is not really a gull wing.  It looks like the 929/954 top clamp from the top, but it is really just sloped on the top; the bottom surface is flat.  Of course, you cannot use another top clamp because it would have a different offset, too.  But the difference is not much (and it is sloped), so this shouldn't affect the clip-on location too much.

4. It's not very easy to find VFR1200F triple clamps.  They're available from Honda, of course, but like all OEM parts, they're very expensive even from a good discount Honda parts place like Partzilla.  I have been scouring eBay US and UK for VFR1200 front end parts for months, and have seen very few sets appear.  Not enough crashing, guys--please see what you can do to increase the supply!

So, over the next few months/years/decades I intend to do this swap, using SP1/SP2 forks and front wheel, and will post my "progress" here.  Obviously, the main problem is the fairing stay.  I've got some ideas and I think I can modify the stay, but it could all go pear-shaped, too.  I wonder if my welder still works?  :unsure:

Ciao,

7 answers to this question

That's the spirit, John - start new projects with old projects still on the go. Did I tell you I recently aquired a crashed 1991 GSX-R750 with Yoshi cams, Wiseco pistons etc... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Your'e supposed to finish projects?  That's obviously where I've gone wrong!

Ciao,

18 hours ago, JZH said:

The cons:

you can see the lower yoke opening--that's as far as it goes before it hits the fairing stay!  FIrst it hits the side of the fairing stay's horizontal tubing (both sides do this), but even if that tube were flattened it wouldn't get very far before hitting the mounting brackets (again, on both sides).  I can see that the offending parts of the fairing stay can be cut away and new bits welded on, so that is what I plan to do. 

A CBR lower yoke clears the horizontal tubing, but you run into the same problem with the mounting brackets, maybe even sooner due to the smaller offset.

• Member Contributer

I've had another look at the clearance, and it seems like if I can narrow the horizontal tubing on the fairing stay to clear the outside radius of the bottom yoke (I'm thinking about ways of crushing the steel tubing somewhat), I might get away with slicing off just a piece of the fairing stay brackets rather than cutting it, re-routing it and re-welding it.  That way I wouldn't have to worry about making a jig--the stay could be reinforced whilst still bolted to my spare frame.  Although I'd rather not use 30mm offset yokes, I'd still like to check the clearance of my 929 bottom yoke as well as SP1 bottom yoke, but they've got the wrong bearing races.  They should more or less fit in place, though.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Steering locked:

20161025_190041x.jpg

I've managed to grind away enough of the fairing stay on each side to allow the steering lock to work on both sides.  That should be enough!  I had to take 5mm off of the top clamp's ignition lock mounting bosses to get the locking bolt to line up with the frame indentations, and I did pretty much the same to the steering stops.  (Using my "ghetto mill", aka, drill press and a 4-flute cutter...)

Still need to clearance the inner sides of the fairing stay where the lower triple fouls it.  Not sure how best to do that.  I think it would still function even if crushed flat for about 2-3".  Any ideas?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I managed to resolve this problem by removing the fairing stay, setting it in a vee block on my workbench, heating it up with a butane torch and hammering on the inside with a narrow drift.  This created a neat "channel" on the inside, whilst the outside remained essentially unchanged.  I hope I haven't distorted the fairing stay too much.  It still fits onto the frame, but may be a little more tightly.

20161029_145446y.jpg

This side came out better than the other side, as the presence of the fuse box mounting bracket meant that I couldn't place the vee block in the same location and hammer exactly where I wanted.  That side ended up a bit more crushed on both sides of the tube after I'd attacked it with my Knipex parallel pliers wrench...

You can also see where I've ground down the fairing stay bracket where it attaches to the frame--this is what allows the forks to turn enough to engage the steering lock.  Here's a shot showing the clearanced steering stop and the shaved bracket:

20161025_155119x.jpg

The steering stops do not quite reach the frame stops--they were cut down in order to clear the central fairing stay mounting bolts when the forks are turned in the other direction.  I can probably drill and tap the cut-down stops for M6 bolts in order to make them functional.  Try that with yours, RC51/SP1 suckas!  :tongue:

Ciao,

Archived