72,000 Mile Service

Skids

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, vfr_steve said:

72k miles on your 08 hey, very nice. I'm curious to know what sort of issues you have had in that time, anything electrical?

The stator went...I think there's a thread on here (edit: here it is) about it, but it's simple enough to replace.

Otherwise the electrics have been pretty solid, it's usually my messing about that causes issues!

I'm currently having issues with the thermostat following the 72k service I did last week and I also solved a small caliper bleed issue where I hadn't bled them fully and still had air trapped in the rear after I overhauled the calipers last week as well. 

Like I said, any issues I've had are generally of my own making, but it makes for greater understanding and luckily I have a 2nd bike which I can use if the Vtec is off the road.

Cheers for the info Skids :) I wondered whether Honda might have updated some of the electrics on the later models (particularly the wiring harness and blue connector issues) - But that's great to know, not bad at all really. How does the 800 compare to the VFR12? Which one do you feel the urge to ride the most or are they used for different roles? Sorry for all the questions ;)

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, vfr_steve said:

Cheers for the info Skids :) I wondered whether Honda might have updated some of the electrics on the later models (particularly the wiring harness and blue connector issues) - But that's great to know, not bad at all really. How does the 800 compare to the VFR12? Which one do you feel the urge to ride the most or are they used for different roles? Sorry for all the questions ;)

Hah, that's not a question I like to ask myself or there'd only be one answer!

The 800 used to be my #1 bike; I took her to Italy twice but now I use her for my 105 mile round trip daily commute. The 1200 is my weekend/holiday bike.

• Member Contributer
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:47 AM, Terry said:

Yes I agree with thtanner; the purpose of the thermostat is to keep the temperature at least around 78C, it should stay closed below that and keep the coolant in the block when the air temperature is low enough. On my 5th gen it usually hits 40C in the time it takes me to fit earplugs, helmet, glasses and gloves, and hits 78 after 2 km gentle riding, and at 17 it would normally sit between 79 and 82 whilst moving, never lower.

If your bike is running in the 60's, I'd suggest you either need a new thermostat or possibly the temperature sensor is in poor health. Skids. Either way I hope you enjoy pulling throttle bodies out! As you will have seen, it is easy to spot if a thermostat is jammed open. I guess you could install a thermostat upside down but I'm not sure if that is physically possible given the housing size. You can test a thermostat by dunking it in a pot of near boiling water (when Mrs Skids is at the shops); you should see the plate move open by 5 mm or more, then close up when you pull it out of the water.

If the thermostat was working but the ECT sensor was reading low, I would expect the temperature reading while riding would be consistent. I imagine that you could remotely test the ECT sensor resistance at the connector; the same connector services the sidestand switch and neutral switch, so you should be able to trace back from one of those to find the connector. I think you want to check the resistance across the green/orange and yellow/blue wires.

IMG_1387.JPG

I removed the thermostat tonight....looks closed to me. Also did the boiling water test and lo and behold it opened the best part of 1cm at about 85 deg C. So within spec.

So how on earth is it running cold? Struggled to get over 64 deg C coming home this afternoon.

It has to be the temperature sensor then, doesn't it? Where is it located? And is it easily replaced? I'll have to check the manual tomorrow as it's nearly 1am now and I'm bed-bound. Would a malfunctioning temp sensor affect the ECU and fuelling as the fuel consumption has increased quite a bit this week?

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Morning all.

Seems the ECT Sensor is just screwed into the back of the front cylinder bank so hopefully easy to replace. The Haynes manual has a complex method using oil on a stove to test it which I wont do so I'll change it on spec as the 3rd/new thermostat appears to working normally. It'll be Tuesday next week before the part arrives so the 1200 will have to be my commuter!

• Member Contributer

New coolant temperature sensor arrived & fitted today but I don't have time until the weekend to put her back together.

IMAG0728[1].jpg

Skids... When you purged the air, were you able to see the coolant flowing or surging when looking down the filler spout on the rhs rad? You should be able to see the current or flow once the thermostat opens, so if the dash displays temps at which it would normally be open and it isn't flowing it could be the water pump, if you're sure the thermostat is good.

Anyway, you must only make one change at a time in a process of elimination so first finish checking whether it's the temp sender unit (sensor)...

Just for reference' sake I recorded the following behavior with a known good thermostat:

At 12ºC ambient temp it took 6 minutes to get to 64ºC (minimum temperature required for VTEC to function). Within those 6 minutes it took 2 minutes 30 seconds for the temp to come up on the display (36ºC, which is the lowest it will display)....

• Member Contributer

Thanks Aus....

Surely, if the pump is fooked, the bike will overheat rather than under?

I need to get this sorted as I plan to sell her now as I have another bike coming this weekend.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Skids said:

I need to get this sorted as I plan to sell her now as I have another bike coming this weekend.

After 72k miles of loyal service. *sheds a tear*

Thanks Aus....

Surely, if the pump is fooked, the bike will overheat rather than under?

Yes of course... Faux pas moi

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, thtanner said:

After 72k miles of loyal service. *sheds a tear*

Her predecessor did 130k. 

I shed a flood of tears! 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Skids said:

Her predecessor did 130k. 

I shed a flood of tears! 

I feel the need to put on a memorial service 

• Member Contributer
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:56 PM, thtanner said:

I feel the need to put on a memorial service 

I'm just prepping her for sale now. Taken the luggage & racks off, fitted the grab rails back on. Surprised to find the tank paint in excellent condition despite the Bagster cover being on it for nearly 70k miles.

Looks a little strange without the rack.

Archived