2004 vfr800fi rebuild, wiring questions

Jetjockey

My VFR was lowsided by my son several weeks ago. Fairings removed and in the process unplugged several connectors because i didnt research this site. My issue is the large connectors on the right side of bike the connectors match but wiring doesnt match. I searched for a schematic and found a old link. I did pliug the connectors in and had no fuel pump and fi light cycle. The coils were hot after a few seconds and also the main 30amp fuse was hot.

anyone willing to throw ideas to a newbie would be appreciated. 

image.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, I didn't answer before because I don't have a 6th gen (VTEC) bike, so I can only guess.  I looked at the wiring diagram, though, and I cannot see two sets of 5-pin connectors in that location.  There should just be one, between the reg/rec and the wiring loom (as far as I can tell).  Maybe you have a "VFRness" from WireMyBike installed? 

2002-2007VFRnesswFuseWire.jpg

Sorry, that's all I can think of that would account for an extra set of reg/rec connectors.  (If so, ask Jeremy--I think that's his name.)

Ciao,

Wierd.

Doesn't look like a VFRness to me either. Josh´s handiwork is telltale and the colours to the wiring are somewhat different.

Actually looks as if there were two R/Rs in there... as the wiring and connectors for the R/R appear to be duplicated.

Also in that area, the upgraded 2006-onward front wiring loom is the same configuration, the differences lie elsewhere

• Member Contributer

Dig into the wires and confirm what is what....

- Loosen the radiator clamp by the cap and pull the hose out and start by looking at the R/R wires - where are they going. Pull out the set of wires out so we can see. -- Take some photos......

It will sorta look like this... (the R/R pictured is aftermarket.)

RRMountingPlate05.jpg

- Find the stator wires and take a photo from that. Take more photos.... 

I think the peanut galllery can help from there..... 

Archived