Headlight protectors

My bike had a near miss a few days ago, a stone thrown up by a truck narrowly missed it and hit me on the arm. No damage (elbow protector did its job!) but I started to think about the possibilities. In the UK a new twin LED headlight unit is more than £1000 and Pyramid Plastics acrylic headlight protectors less than £25 so it seemed a no-brainer to me. 5mm acrylic, they feel strong and are easy to fit, they attach firmly with the dual-lock pads so all good so far.

2016-08-17 headlamp protectors_1.JPG

2016-08-17 headlamp protectors_3.JPG

2016-08-17 headlamp protectors_4.JPG

• Member Contributer

A lot of people use them. A m8 had a yellow one on his Vtec but the coppers stopped him and took it off cos the colour wasn't legal but you'll be fine with a clear one.

Just keep an eye on the condition of the surface; it's not as resilient as the headlamp and it can get scratched and eventually detract from the light output, particularly at night.

3 hours ago, cjb1019 said:

How do you keep your paintwork looking so good?! The front end of my bike is peppered with small stone chips! 

Just lucky I guess, haven't done anything to the paint except wash the flies off every week or so and T-Cut the occasional tiny scratch. 

On 8/18/2016 at 8:40 AM, Rambler358 said:

Did you do the install yourself, or someone else? If someone else, what did they charge for the install?

I had it installed, but they used my bike to develop the patern, so the install was free. It looks pretty easy to install.  As long as you keep the surface wet enough the material can be adjusted easily until it's dry. 

I had it installed, but they used my bike to develop the patern, so the install was free. It looks pretty easy to install.  As long as you keep the surface wet enough the material can be adjusted easily until it's dry. 

Ah, so you're somewhat local to the SD area then? I wonder how much he'd charge me to do the complete coverage install - but I guess I can always call him and see.

4 hours ago, Rambler358 said:

Ah, so you're somewhat local to the SD area then? I wonder how much he'd charge me to do the complete coverage install - but I guess I can always call him and see.

I am. But I would do it myself if I had pay. Watch some YouTube videos and take your time. 

Archived