Honda badge removal / replacement

vfar

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place - please redirect me if so.

My new-to-me '12 fell over on its right side some time prior to me owning it. Consequently there are some scuffs on the fairing and the Honda badge is scraped up. I purchased a new badge from Bike Bandit so that I can replace the damaged one...buuuuut, when it came I realized it is attached with adhesive and not pop rivets or clips. 

So, I'm wondering if anyone has a trick to removing the badge. I'm also thinking that I might wait until I eventually have the body panel repainted - not sure when/if it will happen though.

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, Nelix said:

Dental floss with remove an adhesive badge, heat with a hairdryer first to soften the adhesive.

Boom. Great suggestion. Going to give it a shot.

Thanks!

on my Valkyrie there are reflectors covering the radiator shroud mounting bolts.....i had to pop them off, one of them cracked inside....reattached them with velcro for future reference....i wish i had known the floss trick then

did the new emblem come with peel off adhesive ???? i want to put one in the window of my truck !! lol!!!

15 minutes ago, lshark said:

did the new emblem come with peel off adhesive ???? i want to put one in the window of my truck !! lol!!!

So much pressure! Hahaha. I'll give a full report on what happens. Going to give it a shot later tonight.

Yup, came with adhesive on the back of the badge - time to get on bike bandit and pick one up for yourself.

i will !!! i need a screw for the front master cylinder cover and i don't want to pay shipping on a $0.43 part....now's my shot....i use Partzilla...i think the prices are about the same and they ship from east coast

58 minutes ago, lshark said:

i don't want to pay shipping on a $0.43 part.

It's a low flat rate of $8. What is problem? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

If I might make another suggestion - before peeling the backing off, make a test fit and apply some masking tape across the badge that continues on to the fairing.  Once positioned where you want it, gently slice the tape leaving two straight lines to match up when you go for final install.  That way you'll get it clocked just the way you want it. 

16 hours ago, Cogswell said:

If I might make another suggestion - before peeling the backing off, make a test fit and apply some masking tape across the badge that continues on to the fairing.  Once positioned where you want it, gently slice the tape leaving two straight lines to match up when you go for final install.  That way you'll get it clocked just the way you want it. 

Great idea. I'll take that suggestion for sure. 

Now, I tried the hair dryer and floss idea today but found an immediate challenge - how to get the floss behind the edges of the badge in order to pull down and behind the badge. It sits very tight to the body work and couldn't quite figure out how to get the floss in and around it. 

Any thoughts?

Note: I'm not 100% invested in getting this thing off because eventually I'll have someone reaping the scratched panel, at which point they can put on the new badge. 

Archived