DIY Top Case

I wanted to add some additional storage to my bike for an upcoming motocamping trip. While the factory top case looks nice, I really didn't want to pay over a grand for it and came up with this instead. While I do sacrifice my pillon seat, for the intended trip I won't need it. 

The case itself is a nice Pelican knockoff from Monoprice. Shipped it was about $60 and included pick and pluck foam, perfect for carrying my DSLR. Interior volume is 19L. Monoprice weatherproof case

The case is attached using four 120mm M8x1.25 studs. The studs are threaded into the holes for the passenger grab bars and secured in place with nuts. After that I simply threaded some nuts and fender washers onto the studs and drilled holes in the case. Finally the case is secured on the other side with more washers and nuts. The whole setup is rock solid and the size matches the opening where the pillon seat goes perfectly. 

In the future I'd like to make the case removable using the seat latch/key to enable fast changing from cowl, to seat, to case. My buddy did this on his ZX6R, but copying that design on the VFR will be more challenging given the difference in mounting hardware. 

tYdOGMhh.jpg

KRgjyEhh.jpg

k4MKTcqh.jpg

Uajqmqih.jpg

8xnHVLzh.jpg

S70keKBh.jpg

sBKo8nch.jpg

Nice job. :beer:

I didn't realize the 8th gen has a 2 piece seat.

For a minute I was wondering about the underseat exhaust until I realized, that's a different bike. :wink:

Just to add to the knowledge pool, I did this as well. Used a seahorse case, on the Daytona first, with a spare rear seat pan. With the vfr, the rear seat is keyed, so I had to make it use the latch! 

Bent up some 1/4" all thread into a really long u bolt, and added some hydroturf to keep the grab bars acting as a support for the trunk. The lights are a led strip roll thing, that I used a 5 pin trailer connector to hook up. 

Figured out pictures. Had to delete other attachments in order to make room. 

20160605_202725-1.jpg

20160619_190039_20160811221316762.jpg

Archived