ca licensing - need stock muffler?

• Member Contributer

Hello

I have my 49 state that i need to get licensed in CA, san diego. it has an erion slip-on currently.... do I need to find a stock can to borrow for emissions, licensing etc.? 

Thanks!

No emissions testing for bikes in CA. Check with DMV, you might need an inspection to register an out of state bike though.

• Member Contributer

Although I have not registered an out state bike before so I can't say the DMV won't ask for a visual inspection. I have a stock can you can borrow, provided your bike is a 5 Gen.

• Member Contributer

You shouldn't.

I was able get mine registered a couple of years ago with an after market exhaust. Bike came from Reno, NV. CA DMV required that it be inspected before they would register it, but they did the inspection right at the local DMV.

They checked that it had the emissions stickers, and that the old NV title matched the VIN on the frame lable, and I was good to go.

• Member Contributer

I had an out of state bike registered in CA about ten years ago.  Did it at AAA, though, and they were only concerned with the VIN and the engine number.  I don't think the stickers were inspected, but as they were there, I suppose they could have noticed them.  (This was an '04 ST1300 from Utah, btw.)

Ciao,

Archived